Why Do You Write?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Raven, Jun 13, 2007.

1. wildflower

wildflower New Member

What compels you to write?

I get a story into my head and it whirls around my mind constantly. The only time I don't obsessively think about a story is immediately after writing down what I was just thinking

why do you write?

Its fun creating a world and letting your characters go on a journey. Feels like an achievement if its something you like once you read it over

What makes you write what you write?

What I write is a story I would like to read and hope that its something that other people with similar literary tastes would like to read

What made you decide you like to write?

At college I was referred to as one of the top three students that my lecturer (who was a big deal in the history world) ever looked forward to receiving an essay from.

Besides that, as a child I was always writing little stories and let my imagination run wild

What do you write?

Period romances (none of this "social commentary" nonsense for me! haha)

Young adult science fiction

2. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

~Sometimes I just write to release tension or stress.
    There are times when I just "need" to put something down on paper.
    I find it can be healing.

why do you write?

~To leave something behind for future generations. A thumbprint for my future Grandchildren.

~Joy, sorrow, pain, all of those things which make life more interesting.

~Journaling as a child...being able to say whatever I wanted, there's is such freedom in words.

What do you write?

~I journal mostly...but, then there are those tedious essays for school!
    I have written a couple of crime/drama short stories.
    A few articles for religious purposes... but I don't really write a lot of religous work these days!

3. Amor

Amor New Member

Stress, mainly. If I've had a stressful day, I'll write, like, ten pages of my novel just to let it all out...

Why do you write?

Why not write?

I just like to tell other people's stories (even if they're not real characters) to readers.

What made you decide you liked to write?

I've been kind of interesting in writing since I was in first grade -- I had written a two page story then, not double spaced, about an elephant and a mouse becoming friends.

What do you write?

Dramatic stuff, mainly, but I write all different genres to see which ones I like the best.

4. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

What compels you to write?: The ideas constantly bouncing around in my head.

Why do you write? To clear out my head.

What makes you want to write? Seeing my work in print.

What made you decide to write? Reading martial arts magazines in the 80's and 90's and deciding I could do just as good of a job.

What do you write? Mostly technical and non-fiction.

5. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

What compels me to write? Truthfully, I don't know.

Why do you write? Energy...I'm constantly overwhelmed by undirected psychic energy that demands an outlet. Music, writing and, oddly, fishing seem to release the pressure.

What makes me "want" to write? Just as gravity never lessens it grip on us, writing calls out to me at all times. It is far more difficult to turn off the computer and go to work, than it is to write for three consecutive days from dawn to dusk.

What makes me decide what to write? That's difficult. My life experiences drive much of my writing. I lived through the nightmares after war, waking up in a cold sweat as I re-lived a 14 year old Viet Cong in my gunsights while I slowly squeezed the trigger. My heart has been broken by a teenage daughter, professing her hatred for me. I stood on stage more than once, winner of a sports competition, and I have slipped quietly away from the crowds after letting my team down with poor performance. So, what do I write about? I let my subliminal mind churn until some theme pours out onto a page. I am often surprised by the results.

What do you write? Fishing articles, war stories, sci fi, a few technical papers and one cookbook...so far.

Interesting questions...caused some introspection.

.....NaCl

6. mikespread1988

mikespread1988 New Member

1. Ideas.

2. Ideas.

3. Seeing a final version of my ideas.

4. Seeing my name on a book and feeling proud about it.

5. I've written Sci-Fi, Fantasy and comedy but I'll write anything if I reckon the plot is good.

7. thelastblueberry

thelastblueberry New Member

In my imagination. Not always a good thing...

Writing has always come easy to me ever since I was a kid. Despite the fact that english was my second language, I could write stories with much more ease than many of my native speaking friends. I guess this is what compelled me in the beginning: the fact that I was better than everyone else at something.

As I grew older I got into drawing, photography and movies and my reasons changed. I had all these artistic outlets available to me and my imagination was going crazy. I had so many stories and ideas and I just had to get them out of my head. However, it was difficult to decide whether I should draw the story, write it out, or make a movie out of it with my friends. It all came down to which artistic medium would portray the story best. It all depends on the kind of meaning you want to get through. Some stories are best portrayed through writing. :)

Why do you write?

Because of the above explanation. And because it's fun. :)

I get inspirations from many different things. Sometimes I see a move or read a book that gives me an idea for a story. Or I didn't like the book/movie and feel it could be changed for the better, so I write my own version. Sometimes my ideas come from dreams I've had. Sometimes I will just be talking to a friend or walking to class or drawing a picture or doing some other everyday thing and an idea will suddenly pop into my head.

I also like writing about many different things in many different genres. It's always fun and challenging to try something new. And I am too impatient to stay with one thing for a long time. :p

I love the freedom. When I write, I can be who I want to be and go where ever I want to go. Anything is possible. And the only thing better than having ultimate power is seeing the reactions of the people who read my work. Of course the reactions are all biased since most of my readers include friends and family, but it makes me feel good to write something that others enjoy.

For me, one of the best feelings in the world is finishing a book that really inspired and touched me deeply. I always hope that I can write something that can have that kind of effect on people (I should keep dreaming lol) ~

What do you write?

Anything. It all depends on my mood. :)

8. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

What compells you to write?

Honestly, I don't know. There's nothing that really compells me, other than my desire to weave stories as incredible as the ones I always read and pictured myself as the main character. This world is too imperfect for me, too vulgar and full of idiocy. Perhaps I make up my own worlds to seek escape. Whatever the reason, I don't want to stop.

Why do you write?

Because I enjoy it. I first tried writing when I was thirteen, and from that point on, I knew I would be writing the rest of my life.

I write what I would like to read myself. Everything I do is like a perfect story for me, one that I would read again and again until the pages fell out. And since I love stories that focus a little more on the characters than the plot, I create realities where the major events are easy to understand, yet are trying for the major people involved.

What Made you decide you liked to write?

I tried it... and liked it. As for why I tried it in the first place, I read a story that one of my friends had written and realized that it was better than a lot of the published works I'd read. I decided, if he can do it, so can I. I'm so glad I was right.

What Do You Write?

Pretty much whatever genre fits the ideas in my head. I started out writing fantasy fan fiction based off of the Legend of Zelda, and really didn't quit until about a year ago. After that, my main genre has been near-future sci-fi (near enough for most guns to still use bullets, but advanced enough to have laser guns), and I've also tried a bit of horror. As I said, my stories are largely character-driven and, in the words of my best friend (before she became my friend), use "just the right amount of comedy." My plan is to tie all of my stories together in some way so that they all take place in the same made-up world.

9. Kaij

Kaij New Member

If I listen to a certain song, I may get inspiration for it. At other times, my mind just wanders a lot and I need to jot things down on paper. I'd say another thing that pushes me to write is that people find my stories...disturbing, as some say. Plus they want to read more and ask about my book constantly. I want to smack some of them with a book and tell them to try writing one, see how tough it is for them! The buggers.​

Why do you write?
    I have twenty years of pent up emotion, because I hardly ever let it out. To me, that's a weakness. And if I do let out my emotion, it's usually just to cry, and I do that in private if I can. When I'm extremely ticked off, I shout obscenities in my mind, picturing the person dying in some way, even if it's for something small that they've said. I figure, instead of eviscerating someone, I can just write things down. Unravel my emotion with text and keep it close to me.​

My pen. Or keyboard. Whichever.​

I loved Creative Writing and English when I was in school and the passion grew. I'd write every single day (though I wasn't as demented back then as I am now) on anything that popped up in my mind. The teachers praised me, which gave me inspiration anew. After a friend of mine published a few of her stories on an online site, I decided I wanted to write a book. I grew sick of all the praise, and wanted some real criticism on my writing--thus I joined online writing groups and gave my chapters to a few teachers seeing what they'd say. It proved helpful.​

What Do You Write?
    Horror and Fantasy for the most part.​

10. FinalConflict

FinalConflict New Member

Anything, I draw inspiration for what I write from anything, all my good ideas come to me in the shower or in the car like today, I have writing all up my right arm, and that's why I got waterproof crayons for the shower xD

Why do you write?

Because it's what I like to do.

Not sure...never really though about it.

A Teacher.

What Do You Write?

I generally focus on Action and Drama but overall I write anything.

Action
    Drama
    Comedy
    Romance
    Fantasy
    Parodies
    Song Lyrics
    Scripts.(Manga, Video, Movie, etc...)

I generally focus on Manga, I'm currently writing 6, One that has elements of every main genre, Action, Adventure, Drama, Comedy, Fantasy, Romance, with some extra genres like Slice-Of-Life and Medical Drama thrown in and it's blended together to make the parts without action or anything seem like a Drama or a Sitcom of sorts.

One Straight up Action thriller, just a quick, 4 volume series, nothing too deep.

A Drama about a Terrorist Act that causes a State of Emergency for the entire country.

A Horror Manga, and two futuristic action/comedies.

That was probably way too much information sorry xD.

11. Daniel W

Daniel W New Member

I am usually inspired by other books, and it gets me thinking of ideas. When i read a book, i feel happy. So after reading a book, i search my brain for ideas for a new story so i can make others happy.

Why do you write?

I love books, and when i read them, i feel good, and i want to make others feel good. So i write so i can feel good by making others feel good. I even enjoy reading my own stories over and over again, because they are made to my liking, so i will always enjoy them.

My brain. Well, in more detail, i collect ideas from other stories, video games, movies, real life and more, take out the good bits, and put them into a story. I love adventure, i love exploring unexplored lands... well at least i would love to, but i can't. So i put my adventures into a story. When i read, i am drawn into the story, and i imagine myself being the character, so i can bring myself into my own stories, and have my own great adventure.

When I read my first deltora quest book, and i imagined i was in the story. I tried making my own story, and i loved to read it over and over again to relive the good moments.
    What Do You Write?

Medieval Fantasy stories, either long or short (I am yet to complete a long story, but i am working on it)

12. Burman

Burman New Member

Sorry to be off topic, but have you ever read 'The Raven' by E.A.Poe, Raven?
    It's an awesome poem. :p

13. FinalConflict

FinalConflict New Member

I thought it was pretty good, yeah.

14. Cheese and Grapes

Cheese and Grapes New Member

We just finished reading 'The Raven' and 'The Fall of the House of Usher' in my American English class and I was scared out of my mind after reading the two pieces! The way Poe went into so much detail with his works is incredibly disturbing. LOL

15. writesalot

writesalot Member

Sometime I'm inspired, other times I just do it to make my own life seem less dramatic.

16. tambourineman

tambourineman New Member

I write firstly for my own enjoyment. If anyone else sees it and likes it... great... if they see it and don't like it that's OK too. There's no great noble cause makes me write... I simply enjoy it.

17. sweetpea

sweetpea New Member

The one thing that compells me to write more than anything is my feelings and emotions. When something causes a stir in my life I write it out and tell about it, it's the only way I can get it off my mind.

Why do you write?

I write because I can express more of what I'm feeling on paper instead of by mouth.

Life experiences and life experiences of those close to me.

When I did nothing but write day in and day out.

What Do You Write?

I usually like to write poems or lyrics or music, sometimes I start writing stories that never end, but I still enjoy it.

18. DNC

DNC New Member

I write because my PhD supervisor tells me I have to. If I don't submit a piece of literary prose, I won't get my PhD.

It may not be an artistic or emotional reason, but it means I absolutely must write, rewrite, present and review my opinions about my work and generally do the best that I can.

19. jfisher120

jfisher120 New Member

I write because I have terrible public speaking skills, and I find it therapeutic.

Yeah...

20. free2dream

free2dream New Member

(interesting post.)

At times, I write journal entries. Like everyone else, it can be a way to vent. Hmm...as for stories, etc...I only write when I have this idea I want to elaborate on. That one thought becomes a scene and the rest just leads into a story... Being inspired definitely helps. :)

Why do you write?

I write for myself at the moment, finding a way to express emotion and ideas through weaving words.

Hmmm...I feel this question is somewhat redundant, but I have many reasons why I write what I write. (Nothing in particular should be specified or glorified)

I do tend to like artsy hobbies. It's probably mainly due to the fact that I enjoy daydreaming and putting my imagination into words.

What Do You Write?
    I don't like to be too concrete in my preferences since I'll rather be open to different genres. BUT at the moment, I am aiming towards writing a drama. :)

21. Mordecai

Mordecai New Member

What compells you to write? Inspiration and the ideas coming from it that are swarming throughout my head. I love getting ideas down onto paper/laptop and telling the best story I can possibly do.

Why do you write? Writing is an art, and a challenge. I love challenges, and I love art. Like most sports and games, practice makes perfect when it comes to writing, and the more I write, the more I love it.

What makes you write what you write? Like someone said before, I write what I would like to read. So everything is a good story in my eyes.

What Made you decide you liked to write? Not sure really, I guess I just woke up one day and said "I want to write." And writing is one thing that I know will never fail me. Even if I do receive rejection slips, it stil doesn't fail me.

What Do You Write? It tends to vary alot I usually write whatever pops into my head at one point and evolve with it. Sometimes it goes far, sometimes it stops short, but as long as it's writing, right? I can't write Sci-Fi though. Sorry, sci-fi has never really been a thing I enjoy to write/read or watch in a movie for that matter. There are a few exceptions but not much.

22. Writer's Coin

Writer's Coin New Member

To me it's about giving myself an outlet to be creative. Without writing I just don't have a playground to go out there and have fun, try new things, and explore what I can do.

I did NaNoWriMo a couple of years ago and I started to discover new parts of me in what I was writing and that was an incredible experience. I think that is also another reason I write: self exploration.

23. Cobra517

Cobra517 New Member

I write to alleviate stress.

24. effielorraine

effielorraine New Member

I write to excape the insanity that they call 'great drama' on the tv.

But then again It may be I write to escape the insanity of the 'great drama' that is my life.

Lol

EL x

25. Parker3014

Parker3014 New Member

Writing is simply a vessel for thought and expression. I choose to write because it is the vessel that at times best suits my desire to communicate something.

What fascinates me about writing is how meaning can get muddled in language, and if this muddling is done well, with very exact intentions, amazingly original statements can be made about the qualities of life.

I feel in writing everyone accepts a certain obligation to consider not only the depths of what you are expressing, but how you are expressing.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.
    Annyeong-hi gyeseyo (phonetic spelling only.)