Why Do You Write?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Raven, Jun 13, 2007.

1. SugaredSweetRemember

SugaredSweetRemember New Member

For me, writing gets me away from the issues I'm facing and gives me clarity of thought.
    It's like crying. After you cry, you feel so much better.
    Well getting out my emotions through writing does that for me.
    When I come back to 'normality' I find myself looking at my issues and situations and going, 'What the heck! Why was I freaking about that, no big deal.'
    Which is really needed for me because I stress alot, and usually very unnessessarily.

2. FantasyWitch

FantasyWitch New Member

1. It just comes naturally. When i was little i was full of stories even about things i didn't know about. I would just spout all this random nonsense as a kid and it grew into less nonsense the older I became and larger my vocabulary became.

2. My mood really. I have some days where everything else doesn't matter anymore and all I want to do is create. As i said it comes fairly naturally.

3. How does one answer that question??
    Seriously... I'm not really sure. maybe it is the fact that i find the real word becoming more dreary everyday so i must try and give myself something fantastical and diffrent to stop my childish imagination from leaving me.

4. If I'm down i always feel better for writing. It's like a little drug in my life.

5. Fantasy mostly, and mysteries. I find them compelling to read, likewise to write.

3. Wintermute

Wintermute Banned

It pays the bills.

4. Damian_Rucci

Damian_Rucci New Member

What compells you to write? I come up with lots of ideas randomly and need to write them.
    Why do you write? I love to do it, and I want it as my career in the future
    What makes you write what you write? I have an overactive imagination so ideas just come
    What Made you decide you liked to write? I would also draw comics and write them finally I learned that it wasn't the comics I liked but the story behind them.
    What Do You Write? I write all sorts of fiction(horror, action, suspense, fantasy and scifi, mystery) also I write poems and lyrics

5. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Why Do You Write?​

What compells you to write?
    God gave me the talent to write, and I use it to my fullest.

Why do you write?
    While i write sci-fi, my story arc builds a bit on the fall of the Weimar Republic in Germany. It also pulls off of my pessimism for man's future on this planet.

What makes you write what you write?
    I want to express my inner feelings about life through words. Sometimes i feel bad for the fictional "kate almir" and her life b/c it's ROUGH.

What Made you decide you liked to write?
    Been doing it for so long I can't tell you.

What Do You Write?[/QUOTE]

SCi fi

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hmmmm. Janeway?

7. Aurora_Black

Aurora_Black New Member

It's sort of like making stew, you add all your little ingredients and switch it up, mix it and publish it :)p). But to me writing is like an escape from reality, like World of Warcraft!

8. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

What compells you to write? My life, other books, my hopes for the future and my love of creating absolute chaos. :p And I can't not write.

Why do you write? I find it theraputic, and it's an escape from the real world. It makes me feel as if I'm in control for once.

What makes you write what you write? I'm not sure...just my love of it, I guess.

What made you decide you liked to write? I can't remember a time in which I wasn't writing, so I really have no idea.

What do you write? Fantasy, mostly.

9. JRFleshmen

JRFleshmen New Member

1. I think writting is a talent. I am compelled to right to share my talent with friends and family. I am currently on the path of getting published.
    2.I write because I truely enjoy writting.
    3.I hope to share the art of my writtings with the world
    4.I dont really know how to answer this one
    5. I like writting sci-fiction and trillers. I am currently finishing up a futuristic sci-fi thriller. I have posted the first two chapters of this novel in the novel section. Please check it out.

10. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

I'll go check out your novel, JR.
    P.S. Sorry to be a spelling nerd, but it's spelt 'writing'. :)

11. HookshotManiac

HookshotManiac New Member

What compels you to write? Life itself and what goes on in it.

Why do you write? To dispense my thoughts.

What makes you write what you write? My love for what I write about

What Made you decide you liked to write? Whenever I realized that I had received a creative gene from apparently my father, who was the most creative person I've ever -- still to this day -- met

What Do You Write? Sports. Like I said in my introduction thread: I'm more of a nonfiction writer than a fiction writer.

12. TenderHeart

TenderHeart New Member

Why We Write

I write because I have stories that roll around in my head that simply will not be silent until I purge them to paper. I literally have been thinking about one story for over a year and just this week have put the first chapter down.

It is a character with a story that wants his story told.

I write because if I didn't these tales in my head would drive me insane. Putting them down in words tames them and gives me the power.

I would also hope that someone else would enjoy it so I try hard to learn how to communicate what I am seeing.

Simply put, I write because I have to.

13. Spider

Spider New Member

Like you, if I didn't/wasn't able to write, I would go insane.
    There are all these voices and characters in my head and they need to tell their story.
    It is an outpouring of emotion for me.
    Writing is the most honest form of expression I feel comfortable using. When you read my work, you read a little bit of me.
    I write because sometimes I readback over the things I have crafted and I feel they are almostbeautiful and that is the best feeling in the world.

14. flic

flic New Member

Hey Rusty Hicks - I am with you. Writing is so mucha part of me I couldn't not do it if I tried! I also struggle to write romance, but my writing passion is more crime thrillers or psychological thrillers. Keep in touch! Flic

15. FlakeandFins

FlakeandFins New Member

I do it because it's fun. Since graduating, I've found that my time to write has lessened drastically. So when I do find time, it's joyous-unless I have writer's block, in which case it's frustrating.

I guess having a large imagination pushes me also. I rarely write to pour out my emotions. But when I do it's primarily in the form of an asterisk narrative-something my brother came up with.

16. Weston13

Weston13 New Member

1. What compels you to write? Anything. Whether it's an inspiration for a character, or a scene pops into my head, or something as simple as a minute plot detail.

2. Why do you write? I write to free myself of real world problems, for a time. I just zone out and get into the moment and let it all out. And as Lucy stated above I, too, find it therapeutic, call it escapism. It's the same as asking myself, "why do I draw?" and I find it's because I need that daily creative output that allows me to let go of reality, for however long, and throw myself into a "sea of imagination". Plus, I like to throw my personal problems on my characters and see how they would react.

3. What makes you write what you write? I write what I write because, in some weird way, I'd like to play "God": create life and smite it at will. No, um, I think life makes me write what I write, and all the hardship it brings. It is, as I said above, a way to escape into a different world and to put my personal experiences into the characters I've created. I also have a fascination with world cultures and history, mostly European and Asian. Mythology, folklore, and whatnot. As well as, the possibility of exploring human nature in-depth.

4. What made you decide you liked to write? It was about seven years ago that I really started writing and it began with a friend and I coming up with some video game, Final Fantasy-esque, story that would later be part of an ephemeral life dream -- game design. After several years, my friend dropped out but I continued with it, letting it change as the years went by and then to finally mature into what it is today. A story without complete good or evil, just action and consequence, and some deeper themes. And it was only until a few years ago that I realized that I never truly wanted to be a game designer but that I wanted to write, possibly for a living. Over the past seven or eight years I would write whether it was I had free time in school/class, or a lot of free time at home and that's when I decided I loved to write.

5. What do you write? I write fantasy. I can't imagine writing anything else. George R.R. Martin and R.A. Salvatore (my introduction to fantasy) were greatly influential on me. And Christopher Paolini too, after I read the first paragraph of Eragon I made it my goal from that day forward to never write as he did with his adverbs and his "He could smell the winds of change" lines.

17. Sir Lucian the Valiant

Sir Lucian the Valiant New Member

What compells you to write? My inspiration? Beautiful ballads by fair maidens or the way the sun doth cast its rays upon yonder children.
    Why do you write? I've not put much thought to the matter!
    What makes you write what you write? What I have experienced, my heart's battles, and the peasants around me.
    What Made you decide you liked to write? Writing the bloody thing, of course!
    What Do You Write? Prose, poetry, short stories, lyrics, and music.

18. fallen star

fallen star New Member

What inspires me to write? um. Life. When I read a book or a piece of writing and it touches me. I believe absolutely in the power of the written word. I can find inspiration when I look into the eyes of the people I love. I find inspiration where ever I look. I can't not write, its just a natural response.

Why do I write? Its the only way I can let out all my thoughts that is not self destructive. I tend to pour everything into my writing. I become completely involved in my stories. Also its a free form of therapy!! It means I can completely lose myself and emerge myself into something that isn't my life. So i can forget my troubles.

what makes me write what I write? I write about my life mainly. And all of my characters have bases in reality. I love what I write about.

What made you decide to write? I don't really remember. I always loved reading and one day I just started writing and I couldn't stop. I just had so many ideas that I was afraid if I stopped then they would disappear.

What do I write? [/B] I write mainly romance (especially heartbreak!!) I write about what I know, about what I have experienced. Apart from a few of my stories which just came to me.

19. zorell

zorell New Member

I'm inspired by random things. But there are times when I realize that my subconcious has an idea, and that's when I get really good pieces.

Sometimes writing is an outlet, and other times a distraction.

I could never really know why I write what I write, but sometimes I think it's like a dream in ink. My subconcious is tryng to work something out, so I pick up a pen and solve the problem.

Oddly enough, I write about things that have never happened to me and probably won't. I've written about falling in love with a guy who was really a girl; being the daughter of a prostitute; literally disappearing when upset, and other random and/or impossible things.

20. AdamLeliel

AdamLeliel New Member

Because there is a story I have to tell.

21. Rebekkamaria

Rebekkamaria New Member

What compells you to write? I have eyes that see. I have a heart that listens. That gives me the need.
    Why do you write? Because I have no other option. I either write or stop being. Writing is a very big part of my soul.
    What makes you write what you write? I'm highly intrigued by the human mind, and I want to bring the inner workings of our minds out into the open. I love the fantasy genre, because it lets my imagination roam freely.
    What made you decide you liked to write? Nothing. I've always loved it.
    What Do You Write? My very first novel, short stories, poetry and fanfiction (HP).

22. Flightlessfoofaraw

Flightlessfoofaraw New Member

The fact that i enjoy it, first and foremost, I think.

Because i enjoy telling stories. Because I'm a little vicarious and I love the idea that somebody might find something i've written moving in some way or another. Because I love exploring my characters and figuring out what makes them tick; placing them in different situations and trying to figure out how they'd react. Because i enjoy hypothesising about the future, and trying to create believable enviornments and situations. Because i love language, and i love trying to use it inovatively and creatively, to try and unlock a particular image or sensation in a reader's mind in the most vivid and striking way possible.

I think i generally write the sorts of things i might like to read. Also, simply because these are the pictures my imagination paints!

Ahhh good question! I genuinly have no idea. I have enjoyed writing for as long as i can remember.

Interesting stories about interesting people, I hope ;) My novel is SF but i don't feel tied down to that genre. That said, i feel like there's always going to be a broad, over-arching narative in the stuff i write. There's always going to be a plot, rather than the "human interest" alternative, where the characters' histories and every day interactions form the entirety of the story. I still want those things, but working as a lens through which the plot is viewed.

23. Undefined

Undefined New Member

1. Everything. Good books, bad movies, snippets of conversation I hear, or a picture that sparks something. Looking for a book and realizing I haven't written it yet.

2. I write because it is fun and the books that I want to read aren't on the shelves. I'm tired of the cookie cutter books out there and I want to write something that I would enjoy reading. Previously I was focusing on being published but after having a few friends become published I realize it isn't what I want.

3. I want to read something that is entertaining and fun but does not make my IQ drop. Finding something like that is rather hard so I want to provide it. Plus with all the ideas and plots and settings swimming around in my head it gets a little crowded.

4. I never decided I liked writing it was just a natural step. I liked to tell stories and I loved to read.

5. I try to write a wide range. When I was in high school I stuck to the Questing Hero Motif but in a pivotal scene I realized I had never described a kiss before. That prompted me to challenge myself into writing things I have never done before. I started with Romance, then moved to Comedy, and then Horror. Now I just write.

Off Topic: Is it just me or does the word challenge look like it is spelled wrong?

24. heart shaped box

heart shaped box New Member

1. Lines from songs, the people around me, dreams, books, things people have said, and my life in general.
    2. I write to express myself, that's mostly it.
    3. I need an outlet, so I write what I want to.
    4. I liked the way words sounded on paper and how everything just flowed and seemed like a new world.
    5. I write many different things, and try not to limit myself to one thing. I am what most would call a "young writer" so I am still playing around. But I enjoy writing poetry and lyrics the best.

25. Aurora_Black

Aurora_Black New Member

I'm addicted to it, thats why ><