Why Do You Write?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Raven, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Vince Higgins

Vince Higgins Active Member

What compels you to write?
    Simply put, I have something to say.
    Why do you write?
    Obviously I write to say what I have to say. Also it is very cathartic. I am incapable of ignoring the craziness in this world. Ignorance is bliss, and I am missing that.
    What makes you write what you write?
    I am a "fact based" individual and feel the need to speak truth to BS. In life I often encounter people who do not want their blissful ignorance disturbed, so I started taking it to social media. My real life friends take me with a grain of salt. The true ones are kindred spirits, as are some of the "virtual" ones I have never met in person. I get trolled often, but my response is usually a passive aggressive fact check. Sometimes they go away quickly, or if they are hard core I hit ignore.
    What Made you decide you liked to write?
    In 2003-2004 I had a major life crisis; job loss over whistle blowing (the late ITT Technical Institute) followed closely by the death of close family and friend. (Brother to cancer, favorite educator and mentor to auto accident). I spent a year unemployed by choice, starting a business that failed, and writing an autobiography. It was then that I had discovered the cathartic value of writing. I had written in school, and rewrote much of the horrendous curriculum at ITT. I didn't mind it, and enjoyed much of it, but it did not soothe the soul like pouring my heart onto the page does. (Yes, I know that last is cliche' but it fits)
    What Do You Write?
    Rants on social media, mostly FB, and conversations in hobby forums on model planes and bicycling, and now writing.

The first novel I read was Swiss Family Robinson, in fourth grade, followed closely by a science fiction novel by Poul Anderson called Vault of the Ages. I became hooked on the genre and read extensively the works of Heinlein, Asimov and Clark, then in high school discovered Kurt Vonnegut, who is still my biggest influence.

My first attempts at writing were in SF, but I found it hard to put the sense of wonder into it that people must have felt in the "golden age", so I have fallen into a comfort zone called "general fiction". I have started two novels. One is semi-autobiographical about a kid struggling to fit in. It is my way of getting a "do over" in high school, I guess. The other is a historical and biographical love story. The protagonists are gay, and I am not. It is inspired by two men I knew in my youth in the 1960's and were outed in death near the end of the century. Some scant details I knew of one of them is the seed for what I hope will be a terrific and poignant tale.

John Calligan likes this.
  2. Dreamsage

Dreamsage Member

What compells you to write?
    New ideas - usually when I feel they are possibly worthy of sharing.
    But it's also compulsive. Creation, be it drawing or writing, is my first thought in the morning and the last thought at night.

Why do you write?

Because I'm a selfish junkie.
    Creation is my fix and my reason of being. I don't feel well when I don't create for some time, I grow depressed, slow, even feel a loss of identity. I need some. So I either write or draw - usually the latter.
    But I also want to make others accept me. I want to lay all my inner weirdness out for the world to see, lay it out beautifully, and be admired for the result. I want to breathe life into fictional beings, to create worlds of wonder and submit real people to them. And I don't see fictional places as an escape: I believe our world is made of wherever our mind can be, it does not matter how fictional it is - if it affects your mind it's real enough, especially if you can share it. So I want to be one of the pioneers who expand reality, in an age crammed with random info and people who need space. But I'm doing it for me. For the little glory I feel after seeing another piece completed. Maybe, someday, I'll be the creator of an imaginary land with thousands of refugees from reality: and I'll be the beginning of all.
    But even without that, as long as I keep making piece after piece, I can keep on living.

Myself. Wasting inspiration is unholy.

What made you decide you liked to write?
    Books were my nanny. I could read since I were four. So the tendency sort of grew in my veins - even when I don't write it lurks in my subconscious.

What Do You Write?
    Depends. When I studied materials science, I were into sci-fi. Before that I were into fantasy and fairytales. Now I've returned after several years of inactivity, and I'm mostly into comics: they have both art and story, so they're perfect.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Cave Troll likes this.
  3. GlitterRain7

GlitterRain7 The Queen of Nowhere Contributor

I dream of going into a bookstore and seeing my book on the shelf. (A library works too!)
    Why do you write?
    I write because I have a story I want to get out, actually I have a few, but one at a time. I've always made up stories in my head and I decided that why not put them to good use and write them. Maybe something good will come from it.
    I feel like I'm more of a sheltered teenager, and it makes it worse that I'm super quiet and don't have a lot of friends. So, I don't get to do a lot of stuff. I've never been invited to a party, or gone to the mall with friends in my own car. Based on my WIP, I think it's sort of a way I can do things I'd never get to do or want to do in real life. It's almost a sort of safe exploration type deal.
    What made you decide you like to write?
    I like writing because it's a way I can make the stories in my head "real" in a sense, and it's completely free to do.
    What do you write?
    Currently, just what my WIP is, YA fiction. But I may try other genres down the road.

T_L_K and Cave Troll like this.
  4. izzybot

izzybot Deadly Jerry Contributor

At this point I'm just writing for the shits and giggles.

5. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

Writing is something that comes naturally to me, even when I find it hard to motivate myself to work. Why do I write? I suppose I write because I'd otherwise feel that something's missing in my life. The thing about writing that I find the most exciting is the feeling when you create something new, that no one before has thought of.

GlitterRain7 likes this.
  6. T_L_K

T_L_K Active Member

At the moment, getting as close as possible to mastering the craft. I want to see how far it all can go.
    Why do you write?
    There are things, many of them, I need to express which I couldn't any other way. I write because I'm a searcher, and a finder, and it's probably in my nature to keep searching what I've found until I've exhausted it. Also, I was born to create.
    A need to make things beautiful in one way or another. Sometimes it's the exigencies of life that decide what I write.
    What made you decide you like to write?
    My mind needs it to keep order. I don't like disorder, therefore I like to write.
    What do you write?
    So far I've written stories about people I like, or want to be like, or want to understand. Occasionally cryptic dialogues inspired by random things.

Cave Troll and Dreamsage like this.
  7. Cephus

Cephus Member

I write because I have to. I have stories in my head and they have to come out somewhere. They're not going to stop, therefore I'm not going to stop writing them down.