Why is "The Catcher in the Rye" a love-it-or-hate-it book?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Phantom_Of3, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Knight's Move

Knight's Move New Member

Read it recently after a friend said it was her favourite book. I had a mixed reaction, I liked the writing and narration style but not the characters for the most part. Holden is rather whiny as several people have mentioned, and seems to hate almost everyone for very little reason.

2. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

That simply might represent the times. Most of my generation was spoiled, to a degree. Their parents were fresh from WWII, and wanted to give their kids every opportunity they could.

Every school I attended was new, every car I rode in was right off the assembly line, and every hard to find Christmas toy invented became the condition of my youth.

We didn't know we were privileged.

That came crashing down on us about 1964. I know 'life' opened my eyes. And going to college in Madison during the war years was a real experience! I also saw scared kids going out, and then coming back as Vietnam veterans.

I wouldn't classify them as losers in the true sense of the word. I would use the word "redeemed."

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I love books like Catcher in the Rye. I like my books to be 'real', not be all nice-nice. The book is great for that reason.