Why "said" should remain dead.

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Pixiebells, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Justin Rocket 2

Justin Rocket 2 Contributor Contributor

Thank you :)

By the way, I like using beats (thank you for telling me what that is). It is a personal choice of style.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2015
    jannert and Steerpike like this.
  2. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

A beat on every line of dialog is going to really slow the pace down yeah?

It's a bit like said and other attributions: use them purposefully, rather than exclusively.

T.Trian likes this.
  3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Yes, it will slow it down. Beats are a good way to control the flow of dialogue. If I want to slow things down a bit, I use more of them. If I want the dialogue to move faster I'll leave out tags when I can or else just use 'said' when one is needed.

T.Trian and jannert like this.
  4. Justin Rocket 2

Of course, once you establish who the characters are and what their motivations are in a scene, you don't even need beats. Assume a room has only a man and his sons. A monster appears. If a character says,

the reader has enough context to know the dad is talking. I guess this is an implicit beat, but it slows nothing down. I feel it makes for a higher pitch then the following.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2015
  5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

@Steerpike and @Justin Rocket - Steerpike's 'beats' are what I meant when I mentioned 'action breaks' earlier in this thread. I didn't know they were called 'beats.' But whatever you call them, they are (in my opinion) one of the best kinds of speech tags you can employ. They not only make it easy to keep track of the speakers, but the give you that all-important visual as well. Can you imagine that excerpt without these 'beats?'

"Come on. They're going to start without us."
    "Hold, on, let me finish! Okay, let's go."

Even if you added in the neutral 'said,' it wouldn't improve things much:

"Come on. They're going to start without us." said the boy.
    "Hold, on, let me finish!" his older sister said. "Okay, let's go."

Of course you could make a real arse of the lines as well:

"Come on. They're going to start without us," the boy urged.
    "Hold, on, let me finish!" his older sister exclaimed. "Okay, let's go," she finally agreed.

While all of these dialogue choices are 'clear' (with the possible exception of the first one, if we don't know who the speakers are already), without action beats there are no visuals to bring the scene to life. Action beats can bring a story to life, and also solve the problem of dialogue attribution. Just one caveat though: make sure you group the speaker AND the speaker's action together in the same paragraph. There are a few instances where this can be changed, but one of the worst mistakes is to put the speaker in the same paragraph as the other person's action. That can turn into a confusion-fest, as illustrated below:

"Come on, they're gonna start without us!"

The boy tugged incessantly on his older sister's arm."Hold on, let me finish!"

S
    he wiped her fingers with a paper towel trying to remove the glitter from the project she was working on.

He shifted his weight from foot to foot. Anxious, he looked to her like he was trying not to pee."Okay."

She rose to her feet, laughing, and tossed the dirty towel into the waste bin. "Let's go."

FrankieWuh likes this.
  6. Justin Rocket 2

Don't you mean

T.Trian, Tenderiser, Mckk and 2 others like this.
  7. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I've already made a post that you seem to have objected to, and I may end up doing the same here. But with all the respect in the world I would say that if the absence of 'colourful' dialogue tags means you struggle to get the feel for characters' moods and intentions, then you're either reading very badly written novels, or there's some other, underlying problem somewhere.

If using 'said' makes it difficult to follow dialogue, why do you think it's the most commonly used tag?

I'm also struggling to imagine how you find anything to read, as 99% of novels use the 'said' dialogue tag more than any other.

Having said all that, no one is suggesting other tags shouldn't be used. Take your example about characters lying. If a character lies during dialogue, and the reader is not privy to this up until that point, then by all means use, John looked her right in the eye. "No, I'm not seeing anyone else," he lied.

Even with that example, there are still countless ways to tell the reader his line is a lie.

Tenderiser and Mckk like this.
  8. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Well of course that's what I mean! :eek: (You are also a brat! :bigsmile:)

9. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I don't really know how to write 'correctly', so what I do is try to figure out how to write effectively, and my way of doing this is to imagine how I would tell the story if I was literally telling it. If I'm in a pub telling a story, would I go:

"Look out for the big bad thing over there!" She screamed while pointing at the hill. And then it attacked with gelatinous goo.

or:

"look out," She was screaming, pointing to the hill: "for the big bad thing over there!" And then it attacked with gelatinous goo.

Anyway....

10. Shattered Shields

Shattered Shields Gratsa!

I kinda skipped from page 1 to 5, so I have yet to see if anyone shares in this opinion of mine.

Uh, moderation? C'mon people, honestly, if a book just goes said said said said said said said said said said without any variation or change-up in the mix, I'm going to throw that thing out a window. You don't always have to even say "said" or "growled". You could just start a new line and slap down what the character says

"The dog is blue"

Like that. Of course, then you have to make sure your readers know who's talking, but that isn't too hard to follow if you don't muss the dialogue. But honestly, both said and the fancier adjectives should be used in moderation and at right times. Dialogue too plain? Make the said fancy. Dialogue speak for itself? Leave it be, or don't even say said. Just write what, I dunno, Rokar says and then tell how he shifted in his seat, or adjusted the whacking big battle axe strapped to his back.

Just my five cents. Or is it four cents? I dunno, you get what I mean.

jannert likes this.
  11. Selbbin

I'd hate to say it but that's a fundamental basic of creative writing.

12. Shattered Shields

And? What is so significant about it being a fundamental basic?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  13. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Nobody has argued for "x said" on every line of dialogue. We've all pretty much said don't use a tag when you don't need one but if you do, make it said (or asked) unless there's a really good reason not to - which there rarely is.

T.Trian, minstrel and OurJud like this.
  14. Selbbin

It just doesn't strike me as something anyone would/should still need to figure out so late in the game.

15. OurJud

No, make the dialogue more interesting.

Give me, "This is the craziest idea I ever heard!" he said, red-faced, arms flailing about like a mad man.

Than, "This is the craziest idea I ever heard!" he exclaimed,

any day.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  16. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

My take on the subject is pretty much to use 'said' as the default tag, but when appropriate, I will use an action verb or a more colorful variation of 'said'. It's possible that most of the time I use beats to describe action or the manner someone says their line. In fact, my weakness is to overuse beats, which can really bog down dialogue. So, when editing, I have to keep an eye on them.

'Said' is a fairly "invisible" tag, so I don't fret too much about repeating it. If it appears a few times on a few consequent pages, it most likely won't be noticeable or jarring. Tags like 'whispered' and 'shouted' I use a bit more sparingly; if there's no other way to show that's how character says their line or it's particularly important for me to mention the manner/level of volume, I will use them.

'Exclaimed' I use quite rarely nowadays 'cause it's easy to show an exclamation. The same goes for 'insist'; it can be redundant 'cause it's easy to show someone repeat their lines, although I might use it if I wanted to emphasize my character's stubborness:

"I'm serious," she insisted. "We should try to sell it."
    "That's the craziest idea I ever heard!"
    "Your face is the-- Ugh, whatever." She rolled her eyes, and somehow I knew I'd be getting the silent treatment for the remainder of the night.

The more you read, the more you'll learn about the usage of tags and what works for you as a reader. Add to that editors' tips and recommendations that can be found in abundance all over the internet, and you're good to go. Some people prefer dialogue without any tags and hardly any beats (typical in Andrzej Sapkowski's Witcher books -- and it works!), some prefer more clarity and/or "breaks" in between the lines.

I don't think 'said' should remain dead. That sounds really limiting, and I don't believe in absolute no-nos when it comes to creative writing.

T.Trian, minstrel and jannert like this.
  17. Justin Rocket 2

Or just

OurJud likes this.
  18. Shattered Shields

I haven't realized how to quote yet, so bear with me.

Selbbin, a question was raised, and I answered to the best of my knowledge. That's all there was to it. And since I had no possible way of knowing much the questioner knew, I gave as much knowledge that came to mind. There was no need to jump down my throat for it.

OurJud, think of every conversation you've every had. Were they all interesting? Hell no. Many of our everyday conversations are limp and dead. I don't know about you, but I prize realism even though I write high fantasy. Most of my characters have boring conversations that I don't linger on too long. In these cases it helps to throw on a few adjectives (but not ones that clearly are over the top) to flavor the tone better.

And regardless how good the dialogue is, it's still never well to go to said all the damn time. It's unimaginative not to variate. I'm not saying you should be all exotic with how you say said. I am merely proposing moderation between plain said, adjectives, and not saying it at all.

19. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

Characters who never poop or pee are unrealistic. Do you write about your characters' bodily functions?

Do you use colorful descriptions and a variety of verbs to make it seem less dull when a character poops?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    Tesoro and T.Trian like this.
  20. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I don't see any reason to include boring conversations unless you want the reader to stop reading. No part of the book should be boring. If you have conversations that are boring, you're better off cutting them.

Tesoro and Tenderiser like this.
  21. OurJud

At the foot of each post you'll see a blue 'Quote' link. Hit that and then edit the quote if necessary, making sure you leave anything between [square brackets intact]. Type your own post on the line after [ / QUOTE ]

22. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

Or just hit the Reply link.

OurJud likes this.
  23. OurJud

DOH!!

Yes, it's the reply button, not link.

24. General Daedalus

General Daedalus Banned

I have to disagree, when you avoid using the word 'said' it appears as though you are trying too hard. You end up with this long and convoluted list of descriptive tags which just aren't necessary.

25. Selbbin

A simple way to see if dialogue is needed:

1. Is it giving the reader information about the characters or plot?
    2. Does the dialogue reveal more of the character's personality?
    3. Is it simply interesting?
    4. Is it simply amusing?
    5. Is it thought provoking?
    6. Does it create mystery/forshadowing?
    7. Does it incite an incident or reaction that drives the story forward?
    8. Does it do anything other than fill up space?

If no, get rid of it.

... said the Selbbin.

Tesoro and T.Trian like this.