1. influential

influential New Member

question

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by influential, Jul 17, 2011.

Im a lyricist but I dont know how toget my songs out there. anyone have any suggestions on how I should go about doing this? should I go to an agent?

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

agents normally won't handle just lyrics... i've been a lyricist and i mentor aspiring ones, so email me if you want some help...

basically, you should find a composer to set your words to music, then do up a demo of several that can be submitted to music publishers... or, find a performer who writes his/her own music that you think your lyrics will be a good fit for and see if they/their agent would be interested...

with song lyrics, it's best to register your copyright before sending your work to anyone, since it's too easy to 'steal' lyrics and that happens too often, sad to say... i think you can combine several for one registration fee... check it out at www.copyright.gov...

love and hugs, maia