Tags:
  1. Klevis

Klevis New Member

Will This Work

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Klevis, Apr 11, 2009.

Okay First Of All, I read the sticky at the top of the page and I'm not just going to ask if my idea is good.

I wanted to right a story about how humans were created, how we were "built" by higher beings to work for them (like robots) how human cells are just like bricks and how the brain is like a CPU. But I'm not sure becuase this shoots down everything else (Religion, Evolution, Bla Bla Bla).

Would you read this kind of book, or consider picking it up, and would you be offended by it.

Sorry if this feels like one of those "Is This A Good Idea" post but i really need some help to see If i should go along with it.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no point to asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

(and yes, this is a template post, which should give you an idea of how often this comes up.)

It is still the same question, even though you tried to rephrase it. Just write it, if it fascinates YOU sufficiently to put in the effort.

3. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

I wouldn't worry about it. Everything that happens in fiction is fictional and harms no one, no matter how much some people would like to convince you otherwise. Personally, I'm writing something in which the central character is pretty much God. This story of mine offhandedly shoots down religion as well just because of that, even though I'm Christian myself.

As for if I would read the story itself, I'm not sure. I definitely wouldn't be offended by it, since I've enjoyed stories, movies and games that actually try to suggest that religion is false. But I tend to cater to modern day fantasy more than anything else, and I'm not too fond of realistic sci-fi. That's just my taste. And I'm just assuming that this is a realistic sci-fi story, because you haven't said what it is. :p

4. Klevis

Klevis New Member

Sorry. =(

5. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

Klevis,

if you have an idea. don't ask others if its a good idea, just write it. You create the story, the idea is just the first thought.

I think it has possiblities, so why not write it? go for it i say.

6. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Tell that to Salman Rushdie, one of his novels nearly got him killed by the state of Iran - and DID kill one or two people due to mistaken identity.

7. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

lol Lemex, there is an exception to every rule. that was a big one.

8. Klevis

Klevis New Member

Yeh i heard about that they were all marching in london. It wasn't even that big a part of the story.

9. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

I do not speak for overreacting idiots. :D

10. architectus

architectus Banned

It's a valid question. Is there a market for such a radical Sitchenian idea?

Well Zecharia Sitchen does just fine. However, he doesn't write them as novels. There are sci-fi novels that have used the idea successfully. If you can tell a good story that is unique enough, I would think there is a market for it.

11. Kursal

Kursal New Member

I think it's just the sort of thing that Philip K Dick might write about (in terms of concept). Remember that your audience will probably be the usual sci-fi crowd and they aren't going to worry about religion or evolution if you do a good job at explaining your thoughts behind your 'theory'.