1. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Women versus Men?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by adamant, Aug 5, 2007.

I was in a thread of Heather's creation when someone (too tired to remember whom) said she hadn't seen many stories of women fighting men. In my weariness I came up with this explanation off of pure speculations of society. Guess I just love debating?

[Disclaimer: I'm not sexist, nor am I trying to be, especially not with presidential campaign lurking around the corner. Opinions expressed do not pertain to me.]

In our Western societies, a guy fighting a girl is pretty much a lose-lose situation for him. He wins: congrats, you just beat up a defenseless damsel. He loses: "Dude, you just got beat up by a girl."

Sarcasm runs a muck, though I think this could be somewhat true. It could deter some from thinking the super bad Guy was really even all that powerful to being with. Maybe others feel it will provoke some public outcry if it goes the other way round (esp. if there's no rape scen e and the girl doesn't go running off to some anti-hero to save her). Though it could all just be unconscious traditionalism...

Perhaps, I'm just rambling due to my lack of sleep, but maybe there is something to all of this? What do you think?

2. Bick

Bick New Member

Ong, sexist pig! -throws rock-

Rofl, no really. You bring up a good point :p

3. Raven

Raven Banned

Whats that women in motors should never drive....;)

4. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

Frankly, I think women are insane and I don't know how you guys deal with us. I don't even like dealing with most women.

5. rml8607

rml8607 New Member

I think everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I believe that women can fight men without it being such a big deal. Maybe men need to see women as an equal in order to not care whether or not they are called a wuss for being beaten by one.
    I personally love strong women kicking guys asses like : Buffy, Wonder woman, Black Canary, even Sara Conner from Terminator was bad ass.
    Anyway, most of my stories have a female protagonist that is just as strong, physically and emotionally, as a man. I believe that women are still stuck in this stereotype of being weak damsels, and I want to change that.

6. Raven

Raven Banned

Not quite the answer I expected.

Though the wife has this time that lasts about a week and its just pure hell. She totally hates me proper hates me for 7 days once a month.

7. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Women that think that way about 'other women' confuse me more than the 'other women'.

What about the fact that a lot women in lead roles are scantily-clad? Red Sonja comes to mind... and is it natural that they fight women more often than other superheroes? In some cases, even being paired off to fight against them in some gender-mirrored Power Rangers fight?

8. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

Perhaps it's because I was raised with three brothers and never had a positive female influence while growing up, but I don't trust other chicks. I have very few female friends. Maybe you could call me sexist.

9. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Simple answer: All those stories are written by guys. Guys are sex-craving lunatics.

Also, I really do enjoy watching bad-ass women kicking the hiney of some bad guy. I always cheer the most for the female protagonist in an action movie.

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I've known other women who say women are more vicious, less trustworthy, etc.

Your experiences are shaped by those you know. I don't think there really is much difference, apart from obvious physical differences, and some socialized behavior.

11. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

For a really good book on the differences between woman and man, and the way they're perceived by both genders, try reading Self-Made Man by Norah Vincent. Vincent- a lesbian journalist- went under cover as a guy for 18 months, doing everything from visiting strip clubs to dating women online, joining a bowling group to actually living in an all-male monastery. The things she found out are really enlightening to read about, and of course it all leads to the climactic final part, in which Vincent undergoes a breakdown at a bizarre male bonding camp. I really enjoyed reading it and learned a lot from it. And if I learned a few things after reading it at age 13, all you age 20+ers are bound to enjoy it even more than I did.