Women: What are some good movies/shows for portraying women?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Marscaleb, Jul 1, 2020.

1. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

I agree with that. I was trying to make the point that "personal experience" can come from a variety of things besides face-to-face contact. I understand you now realize this, too, because you were looking for things like movies and TV shows.

Many of these fail the Bechdel Test (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bechdel_test for more information). The ones that pass usually reflect a woman's perspective better than the ones that don't.

Which, as you point out, are male fantasies (or 99% of them are, anyway). They are useless as sources of information.

I think you need to look at magazines that are edited by women, TV shows that are produced and directed by women, radio shows where women are talking to women about women's issues, and so on. The less male-filtered it is, the more reliable the perspective.

I'm not a woman, so my opinions aren't worth much, either. But I thought that the Big Bang Theory did a pretty good job of portraying a variety of women with some accuracy, allowing for comic distortion and exaggeration. I don't watch much TV, though, so I can't comment further about that. For movies, I nominate Juno and Once.

2. Marscaleb

Marscaleb Member

I see how I could have left that impression; that was my mistake.
    I meant to declare that this always has influence - sometimes it's subtle, and sometimes its obtuse.
    But it is the very nature of fiction that we slant our works in some way according to our perceptions, whatever those perceptions may be.

Xoic likes this.