Tags:
  1. Thommy

Thommy New Member

Word to final ebook - step by step

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Thommy, Aug 21, 2020.

Hi all

I'm ready to finalize and format my first ebook and would like to find a step-by-step tutorial of how to do the job.
    I now have everything in Google Docs and plan to import it into MS word.
    Does anyone know where I can find a tutorial of doing the layout in word with cover page, images, headings, page breaks, things NOT to do, etc... So I later easily can convert it to PDF, EPUB and MOBI, and also use for a printed version of my book.
    There are so much information out there and it's scattered and hard to get a grip of.

Thanks!!

Thommy Andersen

2. Amontillado

Amontillado Senior Member

This is a great subject. I think you have to let Amazon do the conversion to MOBI because of encryption keys, but I'm not at all sure of that.

I found this about the structure of an epub file, which is a zip archive - https://www.edrlab.org/open-standards/epub/

Fun fact - .docx and .xlsx files are also zip archives. You can unzip them, poke around, and if you make changes, first make sure you don't care about the documents. Hand modifying goes poorly without good understanding.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

you can convert to mobi with free services like reedsy or d2d.. or for a higher quality job you can use paid software like jutoh or vellum... the key with decent software is to keep the source word doc as clean as possibe and not have lots of styles applied, make sure you chapter numbering is consistently the same and so forth

with the freebies you may have to do more work in the word doc

4. Amontillado

Amontillado Senior Member

I used Jutoh for a while - nice product and a friendly developer, as I recall.