1. Varine

Varine New Member

Wording of a Sentence

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Varine, Jun 24, 2008.

I'm writing a letter to my governor about an issue that's arosing, and I'm unsure how to word something. I sent him a letter previously, and he's since writen back and I'm sending him a second letter to attempt to better explain where I'm coming from.

I'm trying to pass along that I appreciate his taking time to respond, and I'm wording like so, along with the remainer of the sentence which isn't really relavent because it's independant:

So, where it says for, should that be changed or of or is it fine the way it is? I really have no idea what way is correct, and I'm hoping someone here might given that most of you are probably pretty good at English.

2. Becca D

Becca D New Member

The correct wording would be "I'm very appreciative of...". The easiest way to figure these types of things out is to break it down into the simplest language: are you appreciative for time, or appreciative of time? That's what helps me. :)

3. Varine

Varine New Member

Alright, thank you.

4. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

"I am very appreciative for your taking time to respond..."

I wouldn't use either word as they are unnecessary. Use "appreciate" as your active verb.

"I appreciate your taking time to respond..."

5. Lunar_Eclipse123

Lunar_Eclipse123 New Member

I agree with Becca D, I believe the correct wording would be "I am very appreciative of your taking time to respond." NaCl also makes a good point, you don't have to use either. I would personally try this, it is less confusing. :)

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I agree with NaCl here. The shift of emphasis in the sentence by making appreciate the active transitive verb is more impactful. The other wording has no transitive verb which relates to you, and sounds overtly flowery and canned. A bit like a from letter.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto nacl's suggestion... it's much better than what you started with, even if it's corrected to 'of'...