1. Frazer MacDonald

Frazer MacDonald New Member

Words Matter Publishing

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Frazer MacDonald, Jan 7, 2018.

Does anyone on the forum have experience with Words Matter Publishing? Here's the address: https://wordsmatterpublishing.com/

Are they legitimate? I was thinking of sending a submission to them, but I guess I want to be sure they're trustworthy first.

2. Carly Berg

Carly Berg Active Member

I'm not familiar with them but I'd suggest taking the time to learn a bit more about the publishing world before choosing.

There are many sharks out there waiting to prey on hopeful new writers. On the forums, we constantly hear from those who only wise up once they're out many thousands of dollars and getting no sales.

Rule number one: Money flows to the writer. Not the other way around.

Vanity presses abound, and they usually try to pose as trade (traditional) presses. A vanity press is what you DON'T want. So, for starters, I'd google around for articles about how to recognize a vanity press vs. a trade press.

Also, tiny publishers (called "micro-presses") might not be unscrupulous, but also might not have much to offer that you couldn't do yourself with more freedom and for more profit (if any). They're usually just an individual who self-published a book or two of their own then decided to take on the books of others as well.

Etcetera. In other words, when it's not a large, well known publisher, you really need to learn about the different types what you'd actually getting into or giving up with each. Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

That website makes me nervous.

4. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Looks like Vanity Publishing to me. The "Progressive Publishing" nonsense has scam written all over it. Sorry.

ChickenFreak likes this.
  5. Frazer MacDonald

Frazer MacDonald New Member

I thought it looked extremely dodgy. Before posting here, I looked up some of the authors and they only had e-books published with very few sales/reviews, despite being on Goodreads. I wanted to get an opinion, but I thought, if it was a dodgy site, it might stop people sending them a submission.

8Bit Bob likes this.
  6. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

It is a wise move to look further into any publisher and what they can offer, and potential track record, before submitting a manuscript to them.

For example, the publisher in question touts a lot of services such as editing, website design and the like for authors. That suggests their business model isn't necessarily focused on selling books they publish to readers.

7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

that looks like a vanity press to me ... they are selling editing services etc to their authors - a legit publisher provides that service in return for a portion of the royalties

Also they've got typos on their web pages which is never a good sign, and the phrase " We signed authors in more than one country making us an international publisher" rings an alarm bell - an international publisher publishes internationally, its not about where their authors are

(my suspicion is that if you send them a submission they will say it needs editting which they can provide for only $xxxx , plus you'll 'need' a host of other services they can provide etc ... )

Trust your gut on things like this - if it looks dodgy it probably is

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    TWErvin2 likes this.
  8. Joseph Callahan

Joseph Callahan New Member

Dear Writers:
    Agreed. They gave me some double speak and said they wanted to perhaps publish me but it was too slippery. Thank you for the forum.

9. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

Don't walk away from this place. RUN!
    They are using their own staff to hype their credentials.