Words that should be spelled differently

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Tenderiser, Jul 12, 2017.

1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Rhythm: for pity's sake, who decided on one wrong vowel and one missing vowel?

Misogynist: took me forever to memorize where the i or y vowels belonged, they all seem interchangeable.

2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

God, I only remember that one by pronouncing it "ruh-hythm" in my head, so I spell it right, but still get to feel like an idiot. Win-win :rolleyes:

GingerCoffee likes this.
  3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Massaker the nme, leftenant!

My roomie is one of those slope-brows who pronounce "across" as "acrost." I want to kick him in the larynx every time I hear him do that.

4. minstrel

Also, scion. Nobody knows how to pronounce scion. I had a biology teacher once who pronounced it "skeen."

Also, "syzygy" just has to be a joke. Turns out it's a word that means stuff, but no one can say it because no one has ever bothered trying. Harvard University has a department (Elizabeth Ann von Fleisch) researching its meaning. No conclusive results yet.

Tenderiser likes this.
  5. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Rhythm
    Has
    Your
    Two
    Hips
    Moving

I was taught that in school and it never left me :D

Laurin Kelly and izzybot like this.
  6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

There seems to be some sort of soft American Revolution going on here...we ended up with the French squiggles too!

Although I do prefer curriculum vitae to resume. Ah, yes, but we had to boot out the Romans, whereas the last time the French landed an invasion force they got rounded up by a bunch of Welsh housewives!

morning_lightning likes this.
  7. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

'Often'. Properly pronounced, the 't' is silent, so, 'offen'. Come to think of it, let's remove all silent letters from words which have them.

Vianca likes this.
  8. Dr.Meow

Dr.Meow Contributor Contributor

Okay...read this without the pauses. Yeah, I just read: Caught in a fraught and distraught naughty haughty daughter slaughter. I'm just gonna' back away now, very slowly. Don't know wtf that means, but I think Wreybies is starting his full moon werewolf change.

I've always thought every word in English was a bit weird. Especially the word weird... it's just really weird. However, if these were changed, it would be hard to decide what they would be changed to, because everybody misspells differently, there's some that are commonly misspelled as "X", but that's not always the case. Deciding what changes into what would be the true roadblock here if it was ever decided to change the language. And by the way, language is just a strange word, don't try and deny it...

Vianca and morning_lightning like this.
  9. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

First, I coppied that list of -augh words directly from a google search. I didn't even realize that they do form a syntax in that order. :ohno: :-D

Also I agree that spelling reform would be difficult in a language that a) already opted for etymology trumping phonetics, and b) a language that is spoken over such a broad area that the pronunciations can be very different from one region to another. (Like, how Brits find an F in lieutenant is beyond me.) So, tho I am a strong proponent for spelling reform, I think it's easiest and most productive to focus just on the ones that are wildly idiosyncratic and deal with them as they age into that category.

Dr.Meow likes this.
  10. minstrel

This is one of those statements that make it obvious that the word "idiosyncratic" is just the word "idiotic" dressed up in a tuxedo. ;)

Wreybies likes this.
  11. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Parshal, porshon, pikshur, lam, nife, nock...

I mean: partial, portion, picture, lamb, knife, knock. :dry:

I don't have trouble spelling these words, but the way some of those consonants behave makes me uneasy.

12. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

And therein lies the rub. In some version of English, the "t" is pronounced, in others it isn't. (I see by your use of quote punctuation that you're probably of the British variety.) Even among American dialects, there are differences; I've heard "wheel" and "when" and "which" pronounced with the "h" aspirated or non-aspirated. So deciding on a single "proper" pronunciation of a word is well-nigh impossible, unless all lexicographers everywhere in the English-speaking world decree that we will forever expunge all variants but one. And that ain't gonna happen.

13. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

I always said it like, Skee-ON

14. JPClyde

JPClyde Senior Member

Colour versus Color

Is came to mind when I read this title

15. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I'd say it SKY-on

16. Dr.Meow

I was just messing around with ya' anyway. XD

Precisely. We will never get to change English because, like most languages I assume, it has so many differences between regions and dialects. Southern accents are the worst too. Holy mother of everything glorious, I do not understand how a simple light (or lite for that matter), suddenly becomes "lyiet". [To be honest, I'm not really sure how to spell phonetically the way that they talk out here, it's really, really bizarre] For anyone asking, no, Southern people are not hospitable either, that's a facade: DO NOT TRUST THEM. Eef day tolk liek diss, it probly meens sumpin' rong. Geet ta heel aout.

morning_lightning likes this.
  17. morning_lightning

morning_lightning Member

That was amazingly hilarious (and very accurate!!)

18. Dr.Meow

[Takes a slight bow] I suppose I've spent enough time around it now to spell how they talk. Further South you go, it gets worse. Here in KY it's not truly "South", more of its own blend of Southern and Appalachian. Depends where you are too. There's a particular someone at my local Kroger that has such an extreme accent that it's grating across the ears. I'd rather listen to an Elvis song. "A hunka' hunka' burnin' dung...I meant love, but dung smells bad too..." (no offense to any Elvis fans.)

19. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Scion wouldn't confuse people if the US and UK could agree on whether it should be 'sc' or 'sk' in words pronounced with a hard 'c'.

Sci-on: sci as in science. I've never heard it pronounced with a hard 'c' but I might never have heard it with a soft 'c' were I in the UK.

I can deal with the extra 'u' in words like colour and the extra 'a' in paediatric. But seeing sceptic instead of skeptic just doesn't look right. :p

20. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

No, American, (Amurrican in some dialects) but I do use single quotes in forum posts. I'm something of a SPAG stickler, but I'm not above (or below) borrowing from the Brits when it suits me. The 'wh-' words are a good thought, but I'll suggest that aspirated pronunciation is 'proper'. There's a radio talk show host who pronounces 'humble' with a silent 'h'. Drives me nuts.

Speaking of aspiration, 'a historical story' or 'an historical story'? The latter for me.

21. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

I'll never not pronounce "Keynesian" with the stress on the second syllable, and a soft "s". Imagine "amnesia" with an n at the end, that's how I instinctively pronounce it despite having known better for years.

Anyway I don't suppose we can spell it differently, I mean we can't change the guy's name. But somebody should do something, is my point.

22. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Sure we can! Get his ass on the phone....

23. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I always assumed it was like "Cylon" without the L. Or the mass murder and stuff.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  24. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Wait, are you agreeing with me? 'Cause... if I took the "L" out of Cylon, I'd get SKY-on...

Now you're making me wonder if I'm mispronouncing Cylon... but, no, I've seen that on TV!

25. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I make confused faces, but it sounds like we're agreeing.

BayView likes this.