Workshop Improvements

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by NWOPD, Jan 26, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Also

Also Student of Humanity Supporter

Currently Reading::
    A Separation (2017, Katie Kitamura) ; Die Sünderin (1999, Petra Hammesfahr)
    In the same area, though a different issue, 'twould be great to have a checkbox on all workshop submissions like the one the Scribophile site uses to flag adult/mature content and allow only of-age readers to view the thread.

As things are, the readerships of General Fiction and Erotica appear to be almost entirely distinct. So when a general/literary chapter ends up under Erotica because of as little as a single sentence (>>case in point), followers of General will never notice it, while it will bore the pants back onto followers of Erotica.

CoyoteKing and evild4ve like this.
  2. evild4ve

evild4ve Critique is stranger than fiction Supporter Contributor

If it's isolated snippets, what about posting a bowdlerized version in General and the uncut version in Erotica?
    Since I've been on the site it's been a quiet forum (with much to be quiet about), and I wondered if it's more focused on the erotic bits of erotica, while the General thread's advice takes on some of the generalness of its entries.

Also likes this.
  3. Also

I actually considered that possibility, yes, and the more appealing and less interventive one of making a referral post with a link from General. But being new, I wouldn't want to do that without higher blessing — plus at the time I originally posted, I only had credits enough for a single thread. And I didn't then realize how negligible is the overlap in readership between Erotica and other workshops.

Both approaches do still junk up Erotica, though, with distinctly un-erotic threads.

In the case in point IIRC it just comes down to the words "shared orgasm," "spunkier," and the oblique reference to the fact of having sex and lying in the sheets afterward, which apparently merits a rating of "1" on a scale of 1-4.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

The issue is that as a family friendly site we can’t have adult references anywhere else… I have wondered if we should make the entire workshop 16 plus except a junior members section as we also have potential issues with graphic violence or excessive swearing if a parent chose to make an issue of it.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  5. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

I dunno moose - I wrote a piece that involved necrophilia, and let's put it this way, had I submitted that in my GCSE English class, I'd have been up in front of the headmaster pretty damn sharpish. That was in the Horror subforum, not Erotica because the sex wasn't the point of the story.

I feel this site should allow content like that - as writers, we deal with some difficult themes that are not always suitable for younger readers.

6. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Maybe Erotica could be changed to Adult?

7. Naomasa298

Well, there are no subforums anymore where content could be restricted. I guess you'd have to do it by genre.

Also, no one has answered me yet about assigning a genre to a story, I didn't see anything to do that when I posted my last one.

Xoic likes this.
  8. Xoic

I just checked, by opening Novels and Short Stories in the Workshop and clicking to create a thread. In the place where you write your title it looks like this: (No Category) Title. I hovered over (No Category) (it might be (No Tags)) and a drop-down menu appeared with all the categories (tags?) listed. Are you trying to do it from your phone? Or maybe using an unsupported browser? I'm on a Mac using Safari and it works for me.

9. Naomasa298

Brain freeze. :confused:

10. Xoic

Sorry, that was kinda complicated. I take it when you try to start a thread in the Workshop you're not seeing the list of tags you can select from? It's right there in the Title bar. By the way, that was supposed to say No Category, not Co Category. I fixed it.

11. Xoic

Here, it looks like this (and it's No Prefix):

[​IMG]

When you hover over the little arrow or where it says (No prefix) the list shows up.

12. Naomasa298

Yeah, I saw it, it just didn't register at the time.

Xoic likes this.
  13. Xoic

Apply wooden palm to wooden face :p

14. Also

True, though it might still suffer from the same ghettoization phenomenon.

Sure -- completely understand. And having myself PHP-coded functional customizations to a PHPBB-based forum probably less complex than Xenforo, I realize how much work can be required even for features with minimal on-screen footprint.

Having a separate forum for underage writers (all genres/formats) would make sense, and then restricting the rest of the Workshop to 16+ or whatever is the operative age. There don't appear to be throngs of underage submitters, after all -- though those who do participate learn by reading submissions and critiques they would in that case lose access to.

Such a solution would only require an advisory line or lines at the start of a submission.

But if age-restriction after all ran off of a checkbox or a specific tag, "all" that would be required is to redirect display of threads bearing that tag to an "age-restricted, not available" page. Such threads could still appear in a forum index, since the titles must (as currently) remain free of explicit content.

NWOPD likes this.
  15. Xoic

But at least it's a bigger category, that could include gore and extreme violence etc.

And maybe rather than age-restrict the whole forum, just age-restrict the Adult subform. I don't know if that's possible or what it would entail.

16. NWOPD

NWOPD Administrator

Problems with credit counts have been identified and I’m working on best method for transferring historical credits. If possible, adjustments will be rolled out this weekend.

Current credit counts may change, but I will make sure both new and past critiques are registered in the new system.

Naomasa298, Also and Xoic like this.
  17. NWOPD

NWOPD Administrator

The workshop credit system should be functioning correctly and should account for all critiques (both from before and since the update).

I've manually confirmed all critiques should be accounted for since Wednesday, and updated the database to reflect balances from the old software. If you notice a discrepancy or have an issue please report it in the support forum or this thread.

Xoic and Madman like this.
  18. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Telemachus Sneezed
    Thanks! I just checked mine and I show a +154. Had no idea what it was but that number shows me I've been generally doing the right thing.

19. Also

I've posted 8 critiques in:

o The Dressing Room
    o California heartland
    o The cat lovers
    o Whiskey Always Makes Them Talk
    o If I were a woman, I would touch myself
    o What Do You Hate
    o Equilibrium
    o The Second Chapter To My Novel

and posted one excerpt (updated twice)

Hunter's Moon 1983

Currently I show one credit. Is that how they're counted? I don't recall reading anywhere that updates containing edits to an excerpt count the same as a new excerpt.

NWOPD likes this.
  20. Also

And are there conventions we should follow to assist the automated tracking?

21. NWOPD

NWOPD Administrator

@Also did you post any work for critique in the workshop that would subtract any credits?

That shouldn't be the case unless you create a new workshop thread. (then it would count for -2 credits).

Not presently.

Also likes this.
  22. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Damn, I thought I had a lot with 41.

23. NWOPD

NWOPD Administrator

@Also since these appear to be recent critiques, it's possible I overlooked them in the manual adjustments. I've updated the count. If anyone else experiences the same please let me know.

Edit: There is a small issue with manually adding credits on my end causing my update not to save (only needed for those since Wednesday). I found a solution, and I believe they should now be updated.

Since I'm manually adding up recent reviews, it's possible I could have missed some. If you suspect this is the case, please me know and I'll take care of it right away. I did additional testing and new credits are being earned/deducted.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    Also likes this.
  24. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Telemachus Sneezed
    I've got two years and 14,000 posts on you though.
    In terms of crits/overall post count you're actually ahead of me with a ~.011 ratio. I've only got a .009. Not convinced it works perfectly as our late God-Admin of Dune Wreybies is listed as +132 and only has one more Workshop entry than I do, but the number that I got seems plausible. But this ain't my circus anymore, I'm just another one of the monkeys :)

25. NWOPD

NWOPD Administrator

To address the comments on content restriction/Erotica

I'm open to this if there is consensus. I'm not sure it's needed, but it could be a good thing. I do like the idea mentioned by Also of a content warning checkbox. It's not possible now, but with software upgrades I think it could be. If that's the case, content could be flagged my Language/Adult/Violence and potentially age-restricted, plus sortable as a category.

I will leave this up to members who frequent the Erotica forum. The Erotica discussion forum and workshop were both added due to demand by erotica-writers. If they want to rename it Adult, that's fine.

If the new workshop categorization doesn't work out, sub-forums can be re-added. As of now I think we should wait and see what future software upgrades might bring.

I like this. The age redirect is a little more technically complicated. It's not possible by now, but I will keep it in mind for future workshop improvements.

It's not perfect. The older software used to track it was written 6+ years ago. It had several bugs for a while and logged workshop posts in a unconventional manner. The new count is a close approximation to historical credits - as close as technically possible given the tools at hand.

Also likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.