Workshop Improvements

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by NWOPD, Jan 26, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

personally i'd say that if its explicitly sexual it belongs in erotica...its the only way to protect the site from serious legal comebacks... if it's not explicit it can go into whichever forum - I don't really see that anything needs to be implemented that we don' already have

2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I used to have certain sub-forums set to notify me (Flash and Horror) because they're what I mostly write and where I thought I could critique most effectively. When I was a mod I also made a point of following everything in Erotica just to make sure it was in bounds, but that's a different matter. Now it seems I'll need to manually check the Workshop regularly to see what's new in "my areas," which doesn't seem like an improvement.

jannert and Joe_Hall like this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

strictly you can still follow flash - as that is still separate... but in general i agree that you make a good point

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  4. Also

Also Student of Humanity Supporter

A Separation (2017, Katie Kitamura) ; Die Sünderin (1999, Petra Hammesfahr)
    Maybe it would be useful to have more explicit (and enduring and prominent) guidance about what constitutes "explicit." When John Fowles in 1965 was famously the first author (four years before Philip Roth) to put 'explicit' sex into 'highbrow' literary fiction in The Magus, many readers reportedly did not realize that some of the descriptions they'd read described couple m*******tion and solo same. One famous scene chest-deep in the ocean used coy conversation referring to a 'slippery eel' and the like. (See, I don't even know what words can be used here without triggering fear of parental activism against the site.)

I still don't know by the standards of this site whether I actually needed to put the Hunter's Moon Party chapter into Erotica or not. It refers to ti*s (truncated with a dash for a contextual reason), shared or***m, la petite mort, afterglow, 'lying in my sheets' afterward, 'the first round', 'more . . . healing reconsummation', and that's all I recall offhand. Very bland, generic, common stuff -- most or all of it is 'implicit sex' rather than explicit. But people get highly reactive around the subject, and have wildly different notions of 'explicit.' Yet as someone mentioned somewhere above, actual necrophilia went unremarked in another genre forum here, so that I feel pretty damn foolish now for having worried about such rules restricting my content. I'm not sure I've recently read any literary novel written in the last 20 years that wasn't more 'explicit' than these examples from my chapter. No regular participants in Erotica have commented, and why would they? It could hardly be farther from erotica. Every critique it has received has been the direct result of pimping it elsewhere on the site. It would clearly never have received even a single read, not to mention any comments, by a member whose normal fare is general or literary fiction or whose interests might reasonably extend to such a chapter. It would have become a rather large waste of effort to post it here.

On the other, much larger, site I've mentioned, nobody raises an eyebrow about such content touching on sex as a component of everyday real life. Click the checkbox, erring on the side of caution if one wishes, and it goes together with all the other submissions of its genre. Very many mainstream literary submissions use the checkbox.

5. big soft moose

Having skimmed hunters moon i can't see anything that would mean it would need to be in the erotica forum, if you'd like it moved i can do that.

when i say sexually explicit as a moderator i mean

i) detailed description of the genitals
    ii) detailed/graphic descriptions of sex acts
    iii) detailed/graphic description of fetishes which would fall into the sexual sphere

It s worth noting that necrophillia* is an illegal act - so detailed description of it would be against the rules (falling into the same category as rape and bestiality) even in the erotica forum.

Detailed descriptions of rape, bestiality, children involved in sexual circumstance and other illegal/prohibited content will be deleted and potentially lead to a ban depending on the severity..

(* I went and found the story in question - it doesn't meet the illegal act should be deleted bar. However it does have a degree of sexual content and language that i'd be unhappy with were it not in a forum (horror) that gives a suggestion that you're going to find disturbing stuff in there...it would be hard for momma to argue that little jonny was unexpectedly traumatised while viewing that sub forum. )

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
    Naomasa298 and Also like this.
  6. Also

Okay, great -- I'd appreciate if you'd move it, then. Thereafter I'll tweak the title and the intro text to remove the elements implying it's in the Erotica workshop.

7. big soft moose

Now in novels and short stories - there doesn't seem to be a prefix for lit fic so i just used tags

Also likes this.
  8. Also

Thanks, I'm happy enough under General -- certainly for now. We're still hashing out what "literary' is in a thread of @Xoic's. He and @evild4ve have posted some fine resources.

Xoic likes this.
  9. Joe_Hall

Joe_Hall I drink Scotch and I write things

No necrophilia or bestiality? Yikes...there just went my awesome idea for undead lizard people erotica...:D

10. Also

I expect there's a reddit for that.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  11. Mogador

Mogador Senior Member

Nothing illegal about hot lizard-on-lizard. But when a human gets their kit off and jumps on the bed to join in, expect the ban-hammer.

Xoic likes this.
  12. evild4ve

evild4ve Critique is stranger than fiction Supporter Contributor

What about a stuffed lizard who is normally a bookend but now having to double up as a marital aid for a robot that goes sex-mad whenever its human brain is removed?

I thought they had sewed everything up after putting the sawdust in, but Mecha-Raymond-2000's lithe Teflon casing and bubbly formaldehyde re-awakened my pre-taxidermic longing. Its telescopic marital feature was soon rattling my ribcage with every thrust, like a cloacal xylophone.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
  13. big soft moose

So long as its in erotica knock yourself out - the no bestiality rule is for human involvement

14. Joe_Hall

Joe_Hall I drink Scotch and I write things

I was just being obtuse. I write sex scenes in my WIPs but I don't write erotica per se, no disrespect to those who do, its just not my forte...as for undead lizard people liaisons...I don't know where I would start...sounds messy lol

15. GenericSNRI

GenericSNRI Active Member

Are edits to existing posts supposed to count against credits? Because that just happened to me...

16. Also

Oh — ouch! I just noticed after reading this that I've gone from 12 to 8 since yesterday, simply by making an explanatory reply (not sure whether that counted against anything) about my thread having been moved (which I noticed immediately afterward had taken me from 12 to 10) from Erotica to General, removed some metatext referring to the reason it was in Erotica, and made a couple of few-word content edits. Some of the change in my credit total might be simple correction of the original calculation, which I haven't checked, and thus unrelated to these events. But some of it might be from one or more of them.

To directly answer your question, though, I understood from something yesterday or the day before that even posting an updated version (in the same thread) of an original post should not count against credits, not to mention simple edits. So it sounds like transitional stuff.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
    evild4ve likes this.
  17. GenericSNRI

It's kind of funny because I noticed that I was no longer a "New Member," celebrated by making some changes to my last post, and now there's a minor grammatical error that I forgot to fix and it's driving me NUTS! I'll just have to go critique some more ;)

Also likes this.
  18. big soft moose

This is odd - it shouldnt be docking points just for making edits or replies.. @NWOPD just a heads up to this glitch

Generic: if you let me know what the gramatical error is i will fix it for you

19. GenericSNRI

You're too sweet but I literally did just go leave a critique in order to get the one point I was missing. Motivation, that's what it is. :D

Naomasa298 likes this.
  20. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Hopefully, @NWOPD will fix this soon so I can reply to my critiquers!

21. GenericSNRI

Ack... You also need points to comment on your own threads? If so, I didn't notice that either.

22. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

I don't think you're supposed to need them but that's what @Also is reporting.

23. Also

I would call it speculating. :)

But I'm sure it's getting figured out and straightened out. I try not to think too much about software nowadays.

24. CoyoteKing

CoyoteKing Good Boi Contributor

I have a question, spurred by that new guy who posted about how annoyed they were they needed credits to post.

What happens when you try to post a workshop entry without having enough credits? It sounds like some sort of error message pops up saying you don’t have enough credits?

I’m concerned that guy thought that “credits” were something you had to buy. I see Moose explained to them that they aren’t, and you get credits by critiquing others.

But if it’s not already— could you add to the error message and say “you need two credits to post here. You receive credits by critiquing other workshop entries”?

just a random suggestion (assuming that’s not what it already says). Don’t want to confuse newbies.

25. NWilliams

NWilliams Active Member

I see in this thread that folks are checking to see what their credit/debit scores are. Maybe I'm being a dunce, but where can I check to see what my scores are? I have poked around to many places and can't find it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.