World Building: How Much is Too Much?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Thorn Cylenchar, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Thorn Cylenchar

Thorn Cylenchar Senior Member

I could definitely see bundling in a 'codex' at the end of the book that gives more details about the world that many readers would not be interested in. That way they can either read it or ignore it without it impacting the story. If it was a multibook series, I would have it with the last book to avoid any 1) any plot related reworkings and 2) revealing any surprises/plot twists prematurely.

Oscar Leigh and Richach like this.
  2. Richach

Richach Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Have you thought about a website, do you have one? I think it is a good idea to share certain information with your readers, teasers etc. Maybe part of your codex could be posted there at the right time. It may add to the intrigue. Just a thought.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. Antaus

Antaus Active Member

Okay, here's my two cents worth. The way I world build is to just write the story. The first draft is always crap that get's heavily edited, but it also gives me a good idea of where things are going and what parts of the world need developed. This way I can focus on the areas of said world that need to be developed for the sake of the story. Writing first gives a good baseline for you to see what needs work, this way it can act as a guideline to keep you from overdeveloping. On the other hand excessive development can lead to interesting ideas that might get used at some point. You just have to strike a balance, it's different for everyone.

Stormburn likes this.