Would love some help with starting

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by MellowDeath, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Lyrical

Lyrical Frumious Bandersnatch

Yes, it has. But there are still readers for this genre - and lots of them. They will keep reading fantasy no matter how many times they've read the same things over and over. Each writer does something just a little different, and that's enough. The fantasy readership is pretty huge, so its a popular market.

@MellowDeath - So, if I were you, I'd just start writing what you want. When you come to the War of 5 Kings, maybe make it 3 kings, or 6 kings, or 12, or whathaveyou. Then instead of Stark, Baratheon, Lannister, Greyjoy, and Tyrell, create your own houses. Base them on the ASOIAF houses if that's easier for now. Or, for you first draft, go ahead and make them exactly the same and worry about changing them in your second draft. But wherever you can, make your own little changes to the story. Eventually, you may find you've created your own world.

Or if that doesn't interest you, fanfiction.net is an good place to just write fanfiction. It can be fun to do, since people can review and give you a bit of an ego boost when they like your chapter, and they expect you to use everything from the stories they are familiar with.

Sifunkle likes this.
  2. MarcT

MarcT Active Member

Very true of course. I certainly wouldn't propose not writing because it's been done before, but the fantasy market is a difficult one to get published in traditionally, as in print form.
    However, the OP is more likely to find a more profitable route in ebooks, one would imagine. Also, do fantasy novel readers like their books big and bold?

3. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I don't think OP is interested, at this stage, in getting published. I think s/he just wants to write a novel and see what happens.

4. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

And I suspect it's because it's far too easy to be derivative.

I don't see science fiction being that way, though, especially when it's blended with humour.

Maybe someone needs to pick up where Pratchett left off. :)

5. MellowDeath

MellowDeath New Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I definitely got a direction of what I should start doing and some ideas as well.

6. etherealcalc

etherealcalc Member

I got the sense that every trope has been done frequently- that's how writing/books work. It's the unique combination of tropes in the piece of work that make something worth reading. Plus there are plenty of readers that just want to read as much of a type of genre as possible x3

7. Crybaby

Crybaby Active Member

I thought it was just me :superlaugh:

8. Crybaby

Crybaby Active Member

True. That said, anyone could come along and put a great spin on an over told story and all of a sudden, everyones interested again. I suppose it depends what you read and write to accept regurgitated storys. I have to admit, witches who look like models or vampires who look like they've jumped off the sports pages can be a cliche, but it also depends on a reader or writers age group. Well, that's my opinion. What do I know, I'm just a crybaby remember. :cry: