1. Alanabunny

Alanabunny New Member

Would this Make Sense Considering the Character's History?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Alanabunny, Nov 17, 2009.

So this character of mine, is a woman and a mother in the 50's living in a rural farming area. She was quite a beauty, and was courted by a wealthy man in her youth. She rejected this man, for the one she was in love with. He was poor, and had no background or future. He ended up dying, and leaving her responsible for two children. One that happens to be disturbed (a mental illness they weren't very aware of at the time, I haven't yet decided).

Her husband dying changed her, made her want the best for her children and rule out love. So it wouldn't make sense for her to be courted would it? I mean she would, if it were a wealthy man but would a wealthy man seek out a widowed woman with two children?

What's the courting scenario that makes the most sence? or should I eliminate it altogether?

2. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

What does she offer a potential suitor?

3. Alanabunny

Alanabunny New Member

She's really beautiful.

4. breakingwave

breakingwave New Member

It sounds as though this particular character, if being 50 and coming from a rural background, which may have been more conservative in the way of the world, could demand courting. Attraction of any sort between two human beings doesn't seem to have a rhyme or reason or at least that's what I have seen in real life. It could be opportunity or something specific about her that sets another off and running towards her.

5. Alanabunny

Alanabunny New Member

She's not in her 50's. The 50's is the decade in which the novel is set. I was thinking maybe that would have some effect on the behaviors of people with any intention of courting her?

6. SHorgan

SHorgan New Member

And I quote:

"When a man loves a woman, he can't keep his mind on nothing else
    He'll trade the world for the good thing he's found..." ~ Percy Sledge, When A Man Loves A Woman

I think if he's attracted to her, her status as a widow wouldn't make a lot of difference, even considering the time period.

7. Forgotten_Memories

Forgotten_Memories Active Member

Yeah, it makes sense, anyone can fall in love with anyone! Especially in fiction. Maybe, you could have him still want her, and she only really goes with him for the sake of her kids, but then after falls in love with him somehow.

8. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

If it doesn't seem natural at first, then great! You have a huge source for drama and developement, then.

9. neirah

neirah New Member

Perhaps the wealthy man has never loved anyone else, not in the same way he loved your beautiful widowed mother? Perhaps they meet again by chance? Would a wealthy man intentionally seek out a widowed mother with baggage in the 50's? I'm scratching my head and thinking No, unless he had some sort of previous attachment to her, heard about her recent circumstances and wants to rescue (?) her??

A stranger may be besotted by her before he discovers her history in which case it might not matter to him.

Perhaps she discovers a talent for writing/illustrating and the owner of 13 publishing houses falls hopelessly in love with her??
    (sorry - I get carried away)

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...she can't stop someone from courting her, but it probably wouldn't make sense for her to want him to, or to encourage it...

...not necessarily!... all women are not after men for their money, honey... however, having been in a similar situation as a single mom with 5 kids [no mental probs, but the number alone is daunting], i have to say such a situation would definitely be tempting, if it would improve the lives of her children...

not necessarily 'seek out'... but if he came across one who attracted him, the kids might not be a drawback... in fact, i was in a similar situation and, along with my 5 kids, was actually 'kept' for a couple of years by a wealthy man who finally married 'us'... it turned out he needed 'cover' for unacknowledged [and never practiced] homosexuality that the community he lived in had always suspected, but it did get us off welfare, out of poverty, giving my children a much better life than i could ever have provided for them on my own...

i was also 'courted' in the 50's [above took place in 70's, after end of first marriage], so if you want details, drop me a line, as there are too many possibilities to go into here and the situation/characters in your story have to be considered in picking a 'best'...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

11. Evil Flamingo

Evil Flamingo Banned Contributor

A bit of an abstract thought, but why don't you try something with this by moving the time frame to the late fourties. This would provide a historical backing for your characters at the time by having the men just coming back from military service in the second world war, and also the new empowerment of women and their independence and choice after the huge influx of women labor during WW2. This might provide an easier room for backing your characters and setting up their background.

As with all works based in a former time period, never forget about the historical baggage the comes with it.

Also another bit of a problem I had was how does someone of great wealth find himself "courting" this fine lady who is way out in rural America. The class separation is something you should try to heavily imply and enforce in your plot.

Interesting start to a plot/character. I highly enjoy when writer's try write about people or events during past decades, but if they don't follow the mindset or guidelines of the time than I really can't like reading it.

- Steve