1. Terri

Terri New Member

Writing a bio

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Terri, Mar 3, 2011.

How do you write a bio about yourself when you've not been published? I've nothing to say other than I've been writing for years & hope to become published some day...
    HELP!

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Look at author and agency websites they have them on - it is to give them an idea about how to promote you.

Mine goes something along the lines of:

I am a thirty-four-year-old Mum of three young children. I have always loved a good story but had never dreamed of writing. It was a snowy night in February 2010, when I sat down and doodled a picture of Prince Angus. Angus let me tell his story - no one was more surprised than myself to have the first draft of a novel a couple of months later. Thanks to some teenage friends who encouraged me and more experienced writing friends - I rewrote it, edited it and turned it into Someone Else's Life. Since then other characters and plots have come into my life and I am addicted to writing.

3. Boysarn

Boysarn New Member

In bio do you mean the back of your book or a entire book about yourself? Unsure of the term.
    Thanks

4. Terri

Terri New Member

That's great!!! I was told to add in about my blogging, but what do you think of that?

5. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Anything that tells the agent or publisher something about your personality - what you have to give, what they can use. If you like blogging that is useful for marketing - I also include a short paragraph about my blog, website and public speaking. I couldn't find my actual biography lol can't remember what I called it.

It's all relevant to how you can market yourself and they can market you.

6. Terri

Terri New Member

Gotcha. That makes sense. Thanks so much for your help!!