Writing a plot about sexual abuse

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by TonyByrd6, May 23, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyByrd6

TonyByrd6 Member

She decides to join a support group with Miles.

2. ElConesaToLoco

ElConesaToLoco Active Member

As moose said, it's up to you as the author to decide just about everything in your book. This happens a lot in the forum, people who are just getting started in writing deliver their premise without having even a somewhat complete picture of what they want to do with it, and then expect others to fill in the blanks. You're the author, Tony, get to work. Expand the premise, develop the characters and come up with a proper plot. If you want advice on how to do the groundwork for your book, there's plenty of guides out there, books and also youtubers who talk about these kinds of topics. Just stop asking vague questions that only you can answer, and get on it.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

also we can advise on how to do the ground work if thats what you want, theres a good thread here https://www.writingforums.org/threads/research-101.129751/ on how to do research to start you off

EFMingo likes this.
  4. TonyByrd6

TonyByrd6 Member

Can you put it on a plot development board for me?

5. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Precisely. Not just armchair psychology, it's contained in the very apropos old saying that a person tends to look for a partner "just like dear old mom (or dad)". It's true, we imprint on the primary parent figure, usually the opposite gender one but not necessarily. And how we were treated by them generally becomes the template for what we perceive as love through the rest of our lives. Also, we develop strategies for dealing with it—not consciously, because it's done when we're babies and toddlers, but we develop ways of dealing with whatever kind of abuse we're living with that then become ingrained behaviors, and we tend to attract, and be attracted to, that same kind of person.

Catrin Lewis and Iain Aschendale like this.
  6. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Good to know.

Catrin Lewis, EFMingo and Oscar Leigh like this.
  7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Done - i also changed the title to reflect the content.

remember the need for specific questions applies to the plot dev board as well

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  8. TonyByrd6

TonyByrd6 Member

Can you help me with the plot?

9. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    No, we can't. I'm sorry to sound harsh, but you need to have a plot for us to help you with it. As has been mentioned upthread, you need to have specific questions for us to help you. No one here can write your story for you. Your questions are vague and the answers you have given to other members' questions have been equally vague and unhelpful. Try outlining your story the way I did in my first response above. Look at the way you want it to progress. Give us something to work with and we might be able to help, but this is a community of people who help each other out, not a ghostwriting service.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  10. TonyByrd6

TonyByrd6 Member

It's about a young woman's life goes on a downward spiral when she runs away from home after suffers from sexual abuse by her father. She learns that her father was abused himself as a child by her grandfather. She knows that people around her have gone through it. She wants her story to be heard to inspire others. That's the plot.

11. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    You. Lack. Specific. Questions.

Catrin Lewis and Oscar Leigh like this.
  12. TonyByrd6

TonyByrd6 Member

Ok. Here goes. The questions are:
    1) Why did her father told her to keep secrets because of his own abuse by her grandfather?
    2) Why did she fantasizes about wanting to kill her father?
    3) Why does Kelsey wants to write a memoir?

13. big soft moose

No, i'm sorry this isnt going anywhere... i tried to be nice about, and no less than three moderators have explained to you how forums work

one more time from the top - you need to write your own book, we can't write it for you... we can help with specific questions when you've developed a plot (or characters etc) but no one but the writer can answer these except to tell you, as i have now three times, that you need to do substantial research

:closed:

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    EFMingo, Oscar Leigh, jannert and 2 others like this.
  14. big soft moose

Okay in response to a message I've received (from a third party not the OP) suggesting that we weren't clear about what the OP needed to do I'll just add this

When it comes to developing a plot (or a character or a setting) there are three kinds of questions

a) the incredibly vague such as... 'help me with my plot', or 'does two line description of a plot work?' These questions are essentially worthless because members have to guess what you wanted, and wind up answering things that have little or nothing to do with the enquiry the poster wanted to make... and on the latter every two line description could either work or not work as it depends on the skill of the writer.... a sub category of the vague is the permission question "can i write a book about xyz"... the answer to that is always yes.. you don't need anyone's permission to write whatever you want.

b) Questions only the writer can answer.. such as why does my character want to write her memoirs? We don't know the answer to that, no one does except the author. These sorts of questions are useful for an author to ask his or herself in the planning phase, but they are absolutely not worth asking on a forum.

c) The specific question about something the writer is thinking of doing.. e.g "In my plot where xyz happens Is it believable that my character wants to kill her father because of the abuse ? or If i write a redemption arc which ends with the character writing her memoirs to help others will that provide a satisfying ending ? or a request for help with a specific topic "I don't know enough about child abuse to develop this plot where can i find out more?" or any other clearly defined specific questions which the forum community can hopefully help you with, or at least help you think about by discussing further.

The issue with this thread is that the OP has only asked (a) and (b) type questions not the (c) type the forum can help with

also in terms of describing a plot - "It's about a young woman's life goes on a downward spiral when she runs away from home after suffers from sexual abuse by her father. She learns that her father was abused himself as a child by her grandfather. She knows that people around her have gone through it. She wants her story to be heard to inspire others. That's the plot."

that is not a plot, its a rough idea for the basis of a story but it's so vague that its impossible for anyone to say whether it works - a simple plot outline would be something like

Kelcey is young woman who has been abused by her father for x years
    then xyz happens (the inciting incident) - for example she becomes pregnant with her fathers child and he forces her to have an abortion
    she runs away from home and does this (detail)
    and that (more detail)
    and the other (even more detail)
    She dreams of killing her father in revenge for the abuse
    She meets miles another abuse survivor and together they do (detail) (detail) and (detail)
    But before they can put the plan to kill father into effect (detail happens), and Kelcey learns that her father is an abuse survivor himself
    Through (detail), and (detail) she comes to understand that he is a victim to and learns to forgive
    The story ends with Kelcey writing her memoirs hoping to help others come to terms with similar suffering

With that level of plotting and the (detail) filled in and fleshed out, you have an outline you can reasonably ask the forum community to comment on, helped by specific type (c) questions such as "Is it reasonable that kelcey would dream of killing her father ? Does her forgiveness of him work ? Can people give me some ideas of how she could find out about her father being abused ? and so on

Lastly as a matter of etiquette it is usual to have a thread per specific question or group of questions, not one thread with a whole bunch of different ones being asked. For that reason I am leaving this thread locked as it has turned into a mess.

However the OP is welcome to start other threads once he has worked out what his rough plot is, and what specific questions he needs help answering

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.