1. ACfan

ACfan New Member

Writing Advice

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by ACfan, Dec 10, 2009.

Hello! I'm looking for writing advice from individuals that have an interest and/or knowledge of T.V. comedy scripts. If I had to put a status on my writing ability, I would label it "work in progress". If I had to put a status on my comedic value, I would label it "potentially hilarious". I know, I'm modest, a common trait among comedians.

So, with this in mind, do any of you writers of the world have any suggestions for breaking into the business? I've heard 'spec scripts' are useful in offering a glimpse into your style of humor. Any and all suggestions are warmly welcomed.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i mentor many aspiring screenwriters, so feel free to email me for help/advice/info/tips...

fyi, in the us, it's very hard to get your foot in the door as a scriptwriter, if you don't have an estabished track record as a [paid] writer, or an agent with golden connections... the best route is to get an entry level job in the industry and work your way up the ladder, making connections with inside-folks who can give you a boost, as you climb...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

3. writewizard

writewizard New Member

I would strongly recomend an internship with someone who knows the business very well. Comedy may seem easy but is a hard field. Putting some books out for sale and some videos on Youtube is a good idea, but that doesn't mean that individuals will be lining up at the door to get your work.