Writing and Cannnabis

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by The Electric Wizard, Sep 3, 2013.

1. DPVP

DPVP Active Member

Stoners, when i was an EMT they where my favorite group to harass. actually i think they where everyone's favorite target.

I have no experiance as a user but i will say from observation i have never seen a stoner do anything usefull besides provide entertainment.

really the only illicet substance i have seen be used usefully is low doses of aderall used to keep focus and awake at work. downers just seem so counter productive with work squedules and life.

full discloser my downers i use is alcohol (rarely) and the uppers i use is tea (daily).

2. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

Some downers work differently on different people. When I was prescribed tramadol (a synthetic opioid), it always made me very active: I was able to focus well, my thoughts weren't muddled up, and I could stay up for two days straight without feeling tired. I could even work out hard without notable side-effects until the doses got bigger.

Still, nowadays I much prefer to be completely sober because I've learned to loathe the sensations prescription opiates/opioids cause, it's nauseating after years of use even if it was all legal and for a legit reason. You just experience everything more fully when nothing's messing up your senses.

3. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Senior Member

David Crosby (of Crosby, Stills and Nash) said that when he started using drugs, he entered a ten year period where he created absolutely no new music. If I got high, that is what would happen to me.

Like him or not, this (as best I can remember it) quote, from Russel Brand regarding Amy Winehouse, made me like him a lot more... "Drugs took her gift, her soul, her light, long before they took her life". Weed is not necessarily that drug. But it is unlikely to do anything other than slow you down.

Obviously there are examples of people brilliant enough to carry through their addled haze and create amazing things. 99.999% of us are not that genius. We are not Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Kurt Kobain or Amy Winehouse. We are regular people who can create genius with hours of hard work.

I've never seen someone smoke a bowl and then settle down to perform hours of hard work. And I have an art minor! ;-)

4. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

I would like to see a forum thread of 'under the influence' so stoners could post dribble without prejudice.

Twenty years ago I received my pal's memoirs - sent from India, coal-written on toilet tissue; hash, opium, he'd fallen in love, the whole 'gap year'. I never read the memoirs tho.'

obsidian_cicatrix and Wreybies like this.
  5. MrIthil

MrIthil New Member

Well, personally I wouldn't even go there. I think the effects of marijuana are really a case by case deal, and I couldn't see anything good coming out of it myself. Besides, when you're intoxicated you miss too many of the 'fine details'.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I see no value to a thread glorifying drug abuse.

jazzabel, matwoolf and JetBlackGT like this.
  7. CraniumInsanium

CraniumInsanium Member

Wolfenburg
    I can't tell you how many times I've done exactly that. Some of my best ideas have come to life through an alcoholic filter.

Personally I could never write on weed. I've used it every so often several times a year. It's fun, and helps me relax when I need to, but in a nutshell, it gives me what I call "the stupids". I have plenty of other pothead friends who smoke up multiple times a day. For me, everything is funny, doesn't make sense, and its hard for me to collect my thoughts together, or come back to a train of thought I was previously on. Thus...not a good idea to write on. Not that weed doesn't have its purposes, just for me now way jose.

My one friend on the other hand, one of those potheads I mentioned swears his writing by it. Says the thc helps him focus his thoughts into the page, and he'll wake up in the middle of the night, get baked and write. His work is quite good, but out of his 500k novel he says he has in progress he's only got 20 pages or so, and he's been working on it for three or so years I think. I.e., it might help him clarify his thoughts, at the moment, but from what we've talked about, it isn't helping him in the long term to plan ahead for his story.

Just to compare myself to him, he has the really one pretty well done part of his story finished. And thats his onlly story he claims to be working on. I catalouged my ideas on my Directory Of Works In Progress, and found that I had around 50 ideas, all ranging from sentences, paragraphs, or between 1-10 pages, or finished works all for opening ideas to stories.

My ideas come anywhere and at any time, sometimes influenced by something on the radio, an ad, or a spin off thought from something I did earlier and then my imagination takes off with it from there.

8. tristan.n

tristan.n Active Member

Smoking usually makes the ideas come easier, especially if I'm stuck or frustrated with a certain part in the plot. As far as the actual writing goes, it really depends on the type and how strong it is. Sometimes I can write for hours and be quite satisfied with my work, but other times I'll decide to write and then forget what I'm doing by the time I sit down. Music gets the creative juices flowing more than anything, personally!

9. Ghost Cat

Ghost Cat Member

Much agreed. Though I should really keep away from the rap. It inspires me, sure, but makes my poetry sound too gangsta.
    Which could be a good thing if I wasn't a skinny white girl from the suburbs...

I wrote many things on many drugs, but too many other raving lunatics have done it, and done it into the ground. Better than I, too.

I recently got sober. And wrote a rap song about my dog, lovers and drugs. My words and my mind are going in circles...circles...

10. CraniumInsanium

CraniumInsanium Member

I find music is a great motivator. It gets the energy flowing and allows me to get caught up in whatever it is I'm about to write. Lately though, if I have a shitty playlist on then it has the opposite effect, and I have to turn away and thinking what the heck is this dribble playing?!

11. TessaT

TessaT Senior Member

I think that if you're high all the time, then you've lost the qualities that make smoking fun/nice/calming/relaxing. I've written some great things high, and the current outline to my novel was brainstormed while such. However, I wouldn't do it all the time so it allowed my body to detox in-between. I think that if you're smoking as much as you say you are, that you probably need to allow your body to detox. Once you've detoxed for a while and you smoke again... man, the creativity kicks on to hyper drive. At least from what I've experienced. :)