Writing battles and fight scenes

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by alvin123, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

It also relies on the POV. If its the commander or the footsoldier, both have very differing viewpoints and you need to take that into account.

Research for the:
    - footsoldier: "Quartered safe out here"
    - commander: "Company commander"
    - platoon leader: "Platoon leader: Memoir of command in combat"

If you need more resources just say so.

If I have to make a choice of the above mentioned books.. the platoon leader is a true masterpiece. All true and the writing is beyond excellent.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  2. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

Pov is everything here. What a Hestatii sees is totally different than what a Tiarii sees, and they are both just foot soldiers in a Legion. I'd say draw a little sketch of your battlefield and the army and soldiers present, and really look at their place.

AdDIct, Lifeline and Oscar Leigh like this.
  3. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Describe sensations. Sights, sounds, pains, textures, smells.

4. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

Erwin Rommel's book "Attacks" is his account as a platoon commander and I think later a company commander. The book is surprisingly easy to read, and covers such details as 'Finding the cooks' and 'Getting sick.'

Lifeline and Oscar Leigh like this.
  5. Lifeline

@jannert : describing battle is fun :D

jannert likes this.
  6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

For my novel, I had to write one clumsy fight involving several people—from the slightly detached point of view of a character who was only a bystander, and only knew some of the people who were fighting. (The reader knows everybody, though.) That fight didn't result in death or serious injury.

However, I then had to write another violent confrontation that happened very quickly, but carried a lot of emotional content, and resulted in both serious injury and death to some of my characters. I found both scenes difficult to write, mainly because of the pacing issue. I didn't want them to drag out too long, but I didn't want to go so quickly past them that the impact was lost either. Both fights had lots and lots of context, and the final one was a pivotal point in the story. I struggled. But I got there.

It was not fun! Writing sex scenes was fun. That's my kind of fun. :)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    Oscar Leigh and Lifeline like this.
  7. Lifeline

Maybe that's the fault of MC1 - he has some pretty bad prior experiences and that makes him, not incoherent, but close to a berserker when these memories get dragged up. Which just this moment they are :D

jannert likes this.
  8. jannert

Is that your MC or mine??? :)

Lifeline likes this.
  9. Lifeline

I try something new here.. there are paragraphs were he can think, which are in the proper tense. But within the scenes where he just reacts and fights, these are in present tense. Oh, I just LOVE writing!!!!

10. Lifeline

And I have yet to write a sex scene.. maybe later I will give myself that treat :D

jannert likes this.
  11. jannert

Hint: You don't speed 'em up!

IHaveNoName and Lifeline like this.
  12. Lifeline

Have finished with this fighting scene. *sigh*. Don't want to stop but have to. Don't want to get out.

Will give myself another night to sleep and mull over my words. Will get a PM tomorrow morning. Feel flensed. By choice.

13. Lifeline

No chance for that. Will need a whole lot of other chapters to be written first ;)

14. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

The best battle scenes I've ever read were the ones written by Bernard Cornwell, particularly in the Saxon Stories. Even giant battles (at least up to the modern age) were essentially a series of individual combats, and you were put into the characters' shoes as they fought each other.
    But in modern warfare, epic battles are more a function of the overall battle plan, with the combatants often never seeing who or what killed them. In that case, you have to involve the reader into the tactics of the battle rather than the particulars. That would be tougher to write, I think.

Lifeline and Oscar Leigh like this.
  15. King Arthur

King Arthur Banned

I've been hesitant to read Cromwell's Saxon stories since I'm adressing the exact same period and place (we literally have historical characters in common) and don't want to be influenced by him.

16. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Grammar Nazi instinct cannot be stopped!!!! AAHHH! *Addressing.

17. King Arthur

King Arthur Banned

Ze next time you miztep it's off to Poland you schweinehund

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  18. JLT

Then read his Grail Quest series, and much of his other stuff. His description of the Battle of Agincourt is stunning.

And given your user name, I'm sure you'd like his series on King Arthur, beginning with The Winter King. It's as different a take on the legend as you could want.

jannert likes this.
  19. King Arthur

King Arthur Banned

I actually thought the Saxon Chronicles were about King Arthur, which I'm writing about. I'll avoid the Warlord Chronicles and read the Saxon, then.

20. JLT

It's confusing. The Arthur tales take place in the time of the supposedly historical Arthur, who is a Celtic warlord battling the Saxons in the fifth century. The Saxon tales take place considerably later, at the time of Alfred the Great, and concern the struggles between the now well-established Saxons and the Danes who have overrun most of north-east England.

21. jannert

I just looked up The Winter King, and am considering downloading it. However, the reviews are very mixed. The negative ones—the one and two star reviews (unlike many negative reviews on Amazon) —seem to be written by people who really wanted to like the book, for various reasons, but didn't. The main problem seems to be too many characters to remember and an unengaging pace. I took a look at the 'look inside' feature, and damn. There certainly ARE lots of characters to remember.

What's your take on this issue?

22. JLT

Those who expected the usual Arthurian retelling were sure to be disappointed. Arthur is a warlord who would much rather not be king (in fact, he wants Mordred to be king). And you've got Merlin as a Druid priest performing human sacrifices on the other side of the hill ... definitely not Mary Stewart's Merlin. But I, for one, was intrigued by Cornwell's take on the old legend.

jannert likes this.
  23. jannert

Well, I love reading about that time period, and I do trust that Cornwell has done his research. So I will download it. It's only a few pounds. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

24. EnginEsq

EnginEsq Member

I have a fight scene where the MC and their BFF, both trained but reluctant fighters, get in a fight with a half dozen punks. It seems important to show the thoughts the MC and her BFF are having during the fight, but that means a little head-hopping. The thoughts are separated by three or more paragraphs, is that enough?

I'm really not sure how to do it other than thoughts. What they are thinking says a lot about their respective characters at that time in the story. And they can't say it in this situation (and in one case, can't show what they are thinking either.)

Advice would be appreciated.

25. antlad

antlad Banned

I think you can show what they are thinking, in a way. Presumably they would be somewhat in-sync in a fight, they can play baddies off each other.
    I think the thoughts could be in the same paragraph if names/sex are used and it is kept fast paced.

If you have never read any, check out Jack Reacher books by Lee Child, he does a lot of fighting and thinking at the same time. they are quick reads, like a modern day classic western.