?

What time of day would you attend a meeting?

1. Morning (9am-11am)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Afternoon (12-3pm)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Evening (4-7pm)

13 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Writing groups

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by J.T. Woody, Apr 27, 2022.

I want to start a writing "club" at my library. A few guests expressed interest in one, so im testing it out for NaNoWriMo.

I'm stuck on time of day, though.
    Personally, i am an evening/night writer though i do try to write during my afternoon lunches.

So my question is, what time of day would be best to host a writing club and get the most attendees.
    (I know everyone is different... But i figure i'd poll a writing community to try to come up with something)

2. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

I'm in a local writer's group. We meet at 18:00, write until around 19:00, then talk for a bit, then write some more until 20:00. We meet once a week. Edit: Oh and during our talk "break" we also have tea or coffee with some biscuits or something.

I think the evening is the best choice because most people may have work or day activities. Evening time is usually when most people are somewhat free.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Probably PM to accommodate work schedules, I would think. At least for normal people.

EFMingo and J.T. Woody like this.
  4. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

The group I attend meets at 7:00 p.m. once a month, which works for most people. If I could find one that meets around 2:00 p.m. on one of my days off, I'd be a happy woman. Especially in the winter, once I get home, I don't much want to go out again.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  5. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Back when I was kind of a pseudo leader of a writing group, we met every so often on a Saturday around 2 at the local college library. Since the world stuff happened, though, the idea of meeting in person kind of left a few of us not so inclined to get together. But I imagine with all the technology these days, people could possibly do virtual. I did answer for the evening time on your poll though, for the reason given by Madman. Evening is when I'm typically free.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  6. ruskaya

ruskaya Contributor Contributor

I gather from this conversation that I live in a world of ignorance...I thought writing groups met to read and discuss their members' writings--or is this called something else?

I would imagine early evening is better (start between 17:00 and 19:00) because people can unwind writing, forgetting their worries from work and other commitments.

7. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

We'd bring stuff to share, but not everyone wanted critique, so we'd also have discussions on elements of writing (like world building, setting, characters, etc). I'd come up with handouts for each session to go along with the discussion.

ruskaya likes this.
  8. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

I think writing groups meet to discuss writing in any way they choose. The format is generally established by the founder(s), and typically follows that format for awhile but may morph over time (especially if it lasts long enough to survive the departure of the original founders).

ruskaya likes this.
  9. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

J.T. -- For what it's worth, in my world "evening" doesn't start at 4:00 p.m. I don't get out of work until 4:30 and I don't get home until 5:30 (at the earliest). "Evening" for me begins at 6:00. Two groups to which I belong (not writers' groups, but groups nonetheless) start their meetings at 7:00. One goes for one hour, the other goes for two hours. A discussion group I used to attend many years ago also met from 7:00 to 9:00.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  10. J.T. Woody

my library closes at 8 (the first announcement sounds at 7:30 and the last "clean up and get out" announcement is at 7:55 along with the computers automatically shutting off)

I'm trying to work around that. i'd be afraid people would get pulled out of their thought process at the first announcement... or linger too long after the second announcement and piss off my coworkers who need to have the library shut down in order to leave at 8

11. Catriona Grace

The library here allows groups to use the facilities afterhours. It can block off the main floors and leave access to the meeting rooms. At least, it used to allow after hours access. Don't know if it still does.

12. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

it depends on your desired audience ... personally i work full time so i could only attend an evening group, but if you're targetting people who don't work full time, or people who are self employed as writers then that might be different

13. BrandonLA

BrandonLA Banned

At our university, they tried to organize a writers' club in the library on weekends. But students do not actively respond to this, now they are trying to move it to Thursday evenings, perhaps it will be more convenient for everyone.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  14. BrandonLA

BrandonLA Banned

At our university, today, nevertheless, they decided to postpone the schedule to Thursday evening, on weekends it is inconvenient for many and few people visit the writers' club. We decided to invite professional writers to the club to learn how to write and compose written statements. We were able to reach an agreement with the writers of our state on the resource click here to our surprise they happily agreed. Surprisingly, according to them, mentoring is a very effective way of maintaining your own qualifications. And for us it is a great experience and we will make our written statements better and better. I hope you have found your ideal schedule that suits or ideally everyone.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  15. J.T. Woody

So far i've gotten an MFA faculty member from the local university to volunteer his time for one of my group meetings. Since the paperwork for this club is due in July, I've got time to figure stuff out/develop it more :)

my next question is whether or not to include snacks:-D

B.E. Nugent likes this.
  16. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Always include snacks.

J.T. Woody and EFMingo like this.
  17. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

And those giant clear water dispensers. Just toss some sliced cucumber or lemons in it and it comes off as professional on the cheap.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  18. ruskaya

ruskaya Contributor Contributor

I remember at my uni, any event or meeting had to have something to munch on, or else no one would show up . . . yes, that is how intellectuals we were . . . :D

J.T. Woody likes this.
  19. Catriona Grace

Strawberries in the water is good this time of year. Tres elegant.

EFMingo likes this.
  20. J.T. Woody

UPDATE:

For November, I did an evening writing group (6pm-7:30).
    It was really successful! I had a regular group of 5 people (6 the fist day). I was even asked to continue the group! because this was a trial run, I had to give the feedback to my supervisor for him to determine whether or not to continue the writing group. his initial issue with me starting one was "its not going to be popular. you'd be lucky if 2 people show up"

Fingers crossed!

21. Madman

Nice to hear!

Our group has diminished quiet a bit, from around six to now three. But we're still going! The group has been going for eight years.

How's your setup? Do you write or talk, both? Do you have snacks? Just curious. :)

J.T. Woody likes this.
  22. J.T. Woody

For the trial period, i focused it on NaNoWriMo, so the first meeting was "Getting started!" And, because its a library, i provided books on plotting, how to make an outline, how to write certain genres, how to draft a compelling character arc, etc.
    The first meeting we just talked about the project we were working on and our writing interests.
    The next meeting focused on writing resources and i had a guest come in to talk about the MFA program and degree. We talked through that one.
    The last meeting we actually got some writing done. It was the "Wrap up!" Meeting so i shared books on publishing and the Publishers Marketplace books as well as explained Duotrope, Submittable, and Querytracker.

wanted to provide snacks, but budget didnt allow for it.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
    Some Guy and Madman like this.
  23. Madman

Sounds like a good setup and a lot of help to get people started.

24. J.T. Woody

Another update!

I was given the greenlight to continue the writing club for the summer months!
    And ive actually been getting calls from people outside of the city asking to join :D
    Im excited by the interest. Im just hoping that the interested people will actually COME to the group meetings (that way my boss cant discontinue it after 2 meetings with "well only 3 people showed up so looks like no ones interested").

We'll meet twice a month

Madman and Seven Crowns like this.
  25. Catriona Grace

Yay! :write: May you get enough people to satisfy your short-sighted boss.

The concept of "three people=no one" bothers me. Why on earth is an activity only considered worthwhile if dozens of people participate?

The last art class I taught had four students. The college asked if I was willing to teach such a small class. Well, heck , yeah. It was a fine class with far more interaction and camaraderie than we'd have had with fourteen or twenty-four students. Two of the best writing classes I ever taught happened during blizzards when only a single student managed to struggle to class through the snow. Each student asked if I'd rather cancel class since "no one" came. I pointed out the two people in the room who cared enough about writing to drive through a blizzard and proceeded to teach. Each student made a major break through on those days. Worth it, worth it, worth it.

Some Guy, J.T. Woody and Earp like this.