Writing Habits

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by BillyxRansom, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Albeit

Albeit Active Member

I always write at my old desk.

It sits in front of a white curtain which I keep closed. When opened, it looks over the St.Laurence seaway which would distract me somewhat, and I don't want to be distracted anymore, especially in these times.

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I write naked in a hammock in the woods surrounded by frolicking forest nymphs.

3. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

On my laptop at my kitchen island.

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

And squirrels! Oh yes, we've seen you, you naughty boy... :p

jannert, Skibbs and Homer Potvin like this.
  5. LazyBear

LazyBear Banned

On a Raspberry PI 3B connected to my 48" television in the living room. Less distractions than on my gaming computer and I can choose which computer to have offline for safety.

Vandor76 likes this.
  6. chtrbl

chtrbl New Member

On my laptop wherever I have a free minute. I write on my iPad/phone a lot when I am on the bus or at a relatives house or anywhere I don't have access to my laptop. Most of the time, though, I'm in bed when I write.

Shenanigator likes this.
  7. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

I am so glad I hadn't just taken a sip of a beverage when I read that... There should be some sort of prize to see how long it will take @Homer Potvin to actually cause someone to do a spit take.

(Mosquitoes? Hammock marks? Voyeuristic nymphs and squirrels and bears?...:confused: So many questions best left unanswered...)

Ahem. To answer the OP, sometimes a corner of my living room (that's the lounge, to the Brits here), because it's the coolest room in the house, and the window has the nicest view. (While this is going on, the neighbor's cat is sleeping on my couch. He has a wonderful home but likes to take his afternoon nap here.)

Sometimes the kitchen, because it's the warmest room in the house, has the closest proximity to chocolate, and I can see birds and squirrels in the neighbor's backyard below me. (Although after@Homer Potvin 's answer, perhaps backyard views should not be a consideration...:eek:)

A good chunk of my current WIP was written in a screened in porch in the Ozarks with deer passing by.

Today I polished dialogue on my phone in an Uber and in the doctor's office.

ETA: the part about the neighbor's cat. Remembered it when he came over while I was writing last night.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    Skibbs, 8Bit Bob and Homer Potvin like this.
  8. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Lately, I have found myself to be most productive sitting at the kitchen table. I have a desk in the other room, but the table offers a big, clean workspace. And there are some great windows here, letting natural light really brighten up the space. I've just found I can really focus here. Sure, I can write anywhere, but it's great when you find your nook that seems to lead to everything else falling into place. .

9. Tomlan

Tomlan Member

My typical writing place is at the desk in my room, as it is the quietest room in the house, but I find that oddly enough, I do my best work when sat in a parked car on my laptop.. I don't know why, perhaps it is the lack of anything else to do, but it really gets the creativity flowing!

10. pyroglyphian

pyroglyphian Word Painter

In the bathroom with the shower running and the light off.

Unveiled Artist likes this.
  11. Cindyy766

Cindyy766 Banned

I find that writing outside, typically, on a bench does wonders for inspiration as you see life pass by. There is no better place I can think of, for writing.

12. darkriver

darkriver Member

In my bedroom on my pc.

13. Other Paw

Other Paw Member

I once went into a Starbucks to write because everybody does that, and I felt weird. And distracted.

I'm much more comfortable sitting on my bed, writing on my Macbook, and listening to music while I think.

John-Wayne and Kalyt like this.
  14. Spacer

Spacer Active Member

I’ve found nymphs to be a distraction myself, though impressionist paintings of dryads are another art…. But, what do you do in the winter months?

15. HappyPandaGamer

HappyPandaGamer New Member

I write in my bedroom on my pc and listening to song remixes. It relaxes me and lets the creative juices flow.

16. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Igloo time!

17. Jason Govender

Jason Govender Member

Always in my bedroom on my desktop. I open or close the curtains depending on how intense the scene, it helps me for some reason.

18. Mrs.Smith

Mrs.Smith Member

Laptop on my desk in my home office, which happens to be the sunroom. I have my desk positioned so I can gaze out the wall of windows to my left and watch squirrels, birds, deer, etc. when I need a minute to figure out the next sentence. Other than the dogs constantly wanting in or out, it's peaceful. On the walls that aren't glass are shelves filled with things that inspire me - books, an oil painting of sail boats, a piece of driftwood I dragged out of the marsh some years ago, a collection of antique glass bottles, a ring of skeleton keys, a goofy looking ceramic pitcher shaped like a fish that everyone finds silly but that I love, a mounted redfish the man caught a few years ago, some plants, etc. It's enough to keep me inspired but not distracted.
    It works.
    I've tried coffee shops, sitting on the couch, sitting outside on the patio, or in bed, but those don't work for me. I need the discipline of being at my desk working.

8Bit Bob likes this.
  19. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

At ho,e i have a small bedroom done out as an office, but I also write in the lounge, or in cafes etc, or sat in my truck .... the joy of laptops and tablets

20. kirsten1217

kirsten1217 New Member

Everywhere.

I have a specific desk/table that I work at but I only write at it occasionally. It's hard for me to type it out because I use a bluetooth keyboard and my tablet so I always write in my notebook first and type it out when i'm alone in my house.

21. Spacer

Spacer Active Member

Have you tried a handwriting input method for your tablet?

22. Azuresun

Azuresun Senior Member

Pretty much anywhere, but most often on buses or in libraries. I find that I need some level of activity around me, or I get distracted too easily.

23. kirsten1217

kirsten1217 New Member

@Spacer
    I'd love to do that but I don't know how. How do you do that?

24. DaydreamerGPSA

DaydreamerGPSA Member

I like to write in my room on my main computer most of the time. This may sound weird, but I also put headphones on and listen to either heavy metal or the sound of rain when I write. I don't enjoy the silence.

Outside of the house I write with either a notepad or my cellphone (mostly cellphone). Sometimes I write entire scenes on my phone, which led some people to believe I have a lot more than just three friends to talk to.

John-Wayne and tumblingdice like this.
  25. Primordial Knight

Primordial Knight Member

Laptop in my bedroom. Usually listening to some metal, or if I find a specific song for the moment or character, or setting, that. Usually with cat in my lap who's favorite hobby is grabbing my attention when I'm trying to write.