1. Azated

Azated New Member

Writing long stories

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Azated, Mar 21, 2012.

I have an odd problem.

I love to write. In fact, I've written many, many short stories. Most of these are, well, erotic, but they're still stories. I like to go through my day, think of an idea and then jump on my computer and add that idea to whichever story it happens to match up with.

My problem is writing long stories. I've always wanted to write a full length book, but whenever I sit down to write I get bored with the story after a page or two. I write because I enjoy it, so when the story isn't very interesting I have no desire to continue writing.

I know that a good book needs a solid plot, but I can't write to an end goal with that in mind. My writing is entirely based on the current position of the story; if my characters are at a crossroads, instead of taking the road that leads to the destination I set out beforehand, I'd rather take the one that seems the most interesting at the time, regardless of its relevance to the overall story.

So, my question: what can I do to have a good plot with a word-by-word writing style instead of a pre-planned ending?

2. Kaymindless

Kaymindless New Member

Write it and then edit it, that's how. Once it's done, you can go back and tighten the plot, clarify it, etc.

It's what I do. I have a basic goal or idea or something I want to touch on, start writing it and then, it slowly evolves into a vague idea of where it's going until I have a plan or basic idea of an ending, half way through.

3. KindJester

KindJester New Member

Hi!

Your situation reminds me of Raymond Carver, a U.S. writer who always wrote short stories because he thought he lacked the patience to end an entire novel.

Back on topic: someone said that a short story is based on a single, powerful idea, while a novel is a collection of linked, small ideas. I like to add that the ending of a novel must be an idea so powerful that it must leave the reader mind blind for at least ten seconds, but that's just me.

The key to your problem is in your sentences:

"I write because I enjoy it, so when the story isn't very interesting I have no desire to continue writing."

Two points:

- usually, the story gets annoying when you have to link two ideas together. If you have a powerful idea A, and you must take your characters to the powerful idea B, the transition point is usually the weakest, boring link.

Try not to consider it as a transition! Work on developing Idea C and use it to link the two ideas instead. This will make the work interesting again.

- You must not rely on inspiration, nor on the "desire" to write: stick to your schedule and they both will show up. Writing means hard work: you won't enjoy every single moment of it, but the results will surely please you.

I usually have in mind a strong ending; but everything that comes before is always changing in my first draft.
    "Taking the most unusual crossroad" is a beautiful way to find the Idea C I was talking about before; the key point is to keep in mind where your characters have to go.

Remember: you have the power in your stories, and a crossroads may detour your characters just as long as you decide it must do so.

Hope this helps!