1. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

Writing Places

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mugen shiyo, Jul 30, 2011.

Is there a place, a time, or a certain setting you like to be in when you write? When does your creativity reach it's highest points?

2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

My creativity does not really have a peek, but I can write pretty much anywhere, and though I like to be alone I can write in the company of other people as well.

I had a wonderful experience once, writing in the autumn between a large lake and some trees with a note pad and pencil.

3. keeksta

keeksta New Member

There isn't really any special place or time for me, I just have to lie down somewhere and let my mind drift. It's surprising what I will think of when I let my mind drift. Then all I have to do is jot it down and write it up later

4. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

Yeah, I never had a place either. I write when I think up something, and that's usually all the time. Little things to add to a story. That's why I always have a pen and paper on me. Good ideas plus bad memory equals frustrating return to my laptop :p

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

My peak energy and creativity is early in the morning.

6. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

In light of that, I guess I would have to say I definitely don't write as much in the morning. Maybe because I have more time to write and I'm not thinking about it as much, but the closer to sunrise, the less likely I am to be thinking about it.

Besides, I'm half zombie anyway :p I don't see how you do it, Cog.

7. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Coffee is a god send.

8. keeksta

keeksta New Member

I can write at any time it doesn't really matter to me but I will say I'm easily distracted so late at night would probably be the best time for me. Less distractions then :)

9. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

The right place, for me, varies. Sometimes I have to be at home and secluded to get my writing done. At other times, I stare at the screen at home and end up heading to a coffee shop and suddenly I'm writing again.

The only constant is that I've taken a strong liking to full-screen text editors. So-called "distraction free" writing programs that are available freely online. I get a lot more done when I sit down to write, because you have generally have to stop writing and exit the program to check the web browser, or email or what have you.

10. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

I think I tried the coffee shop thing once, but didn't like it. Not that I can't write in public, it just felt like I was really out-of-place. Like "what the hell am I doing here" type of feeling.

Maybe cause I don't like coffee, lol

11. heyitsmary

heyitsmary New Member

I prefer to be in a quiet, secluded place. But once I get a good start I can write a good amount no matter where I am.

12. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

My peak of creativity is when i stop being lazy haha. Mine depends, it could be in a loud place or a very quiet soothing scenario.

13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A quiet spot does not work for me. I can conncentrate better with some background noise. TV works, but not music.

14. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I like being alone most of the time. However, my friend James has a lot of good story ideas, and I like collaborating with him. I like writing outside, too -- usually during early morning or late evening, even nighttime.

15. art

art Contributor Contributor

I can only write (properly write) with quiet. I can only write on a computer since I edit as I go and stuff written in long-hand too quickly becomes a mess of corrections and crossings-out. Most creative when I'm feeling physically alive and ebullient and happy. Lethargy can strike at any time and then I can barely think, let alone write.