Writing problems

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Agent Vatani, Oct 22, 2010.

1. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

50k is still way too short for a first adult novel... 80-100k is what most publishers want...

is your book for kids, or adults?

2. Agent Vatani

Agent Vatani Active Member

Young adults, older kids. My first book will be about 75000 words. But now I'm in no hurry, cause you can't rush good art. I'm just working on stories and rough dafts. And a rough dafts for a book can just as long for a book. So not any time so, will my name be on a book.

3. afrodite7

afrodite7 New Member

-continue to write and read over your work.do it with other people too.you'll get better and better,the more you write.just don't do anything that makes you uncomfortable

4. architectus

architectus Banned

If you want to write in English, learn to think in English.

5. yogapoet74

yogapoet74 New Member

I will add that as both a writer and a teacher of writing the best way to learn grammar, syntax, conversation flow, character development, etc, is to read as much as possible. It's great that you're interested in making your writing the best it can be but all of us have to do the work to get there--and a big part of that is "apprenticing" with those writers who have stuff to teach. So get as many books that intrigue you, that relate to your writing, that are just plain great, and read read read. And yes, also, work with a tutor if necessary. Does your school do peer edits or have a writing lab? If not, look into a writing tutor maybe. And good luck! Good for you for sticking with your dream.

6. Agent Vatani

Agent Vatani Active Member

Would have replied sooner but on a cruise. It was great by the way.
    No I write because I love it not as have to but I want it. Everyday I'm getting better and better. Thanks, everyone. I'm going to keep writing until i love it to death then I'll think of booking it.