Writing Queer Characters

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by CEMO, Dec 4, 2016.

?

Have you ever written about a protagonist who wasn't cis-gender and/or heterosexual?

1. Yes, I do all of the time.

2. Some of the time.

3. Once or twice.

4. Never, but I'd like to

5. Never, and I don't feel comfortable doing it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

So ... it's bigoted and egotistical for me to watch 50 tv shows with exclusively straight casts, then hit on one or two with say, a single gay or bi character each and say "Hey, wow, I like this better"? It's egotistical to like seeing someone like you in media, even when that happens very rarely? It's egotistical to wish for more than "now and again"? I'm not getting you.

Simpson17866 and BayView like this.
  2. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

This is why I'm not allowed to have a perspective on the matter. Because I'm a straight white male I don't 'get it'. And it's hard to explain how open minded I am about everything without this 'fact' 'allowing' me to have such opinions. I agree that there being no representative characters in any media is absurd, that's not the case. The reluctance of TV to have gay characters was ridiculous. And I don't think that because I'm gay and wanted to see myself on screen. I actually believe strongly in a mixed representation. But not because it's about identifying with a character. The characters I most connect with are not white straight males, oddly enough.

3. Selbbin

No, it's egotistical to say that you can't /won't watch the show unless there is someone like you in it.

I specifically said it wasn't about occasionally seeing it and liking it. Did you read my post?

Let me recap:

4. izzybot

I read your post. I found it confusing. Probably because, as far as I can tell, no one originally said they wouldn't watch a show without someone like them in it. @CEMO just said that it's nice to see someone who is like you.

5. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

@Selbbin It's not about wanting to be on top, it's about wanting to exist:

Exactly: someone, not everyone

izzybot likes this.
  6. Selbbin

The best thing to do is write the book you want to read. That's what got me started.

Lifeline and Carly Berg like this.
  7. Simpson17866

That's what we're doing. What's the problem?

izzybot likes this.
  8. Selbbin

It was poorly written, tbh.

9. Selbbin

Huh?

10. Selbbin

But you do exist.

11. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I pretty much agree with everything The Moose said here and in other posts. Characters need to interact with the world. Readers should know what and/or who they want. If I am going to spend a novel-length amount of time with a character, I should be able to tell you if a character was LGBTQ.

It seems like you might be confused a little or just haven't read a real lot. A story is far more than just the actions it contains and not every detail about a character has to be tied to the plot. You seem pretty sure of yourself, but you might want to look into it a little more or just ponder as you continue to read that not every little thing in a story is there to push the plot.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  12. Simpson17866

And I'm glad that you've never not had anybody say that before.

BayView and izzybot like this.
  13. Selbbin

Let me backtrack. What I'm saying is, I don't need to the character to be like me to enjoy the character, and don't understand it when people do need that similarity to enjoy something. It's nice to see it sometimes, especially when you never come across it, but no matter our background I hope everyone is open minded enough to be able to follow with and identify with other people. This goes for the straight guys too that can't / won't read a book about a gay guy, or the idiotic reasoning that females can't be action heroes because action films are 'guy' films.

14. Simpson17866

Nobody's complaining that not all characters tend to be LGBT+, we're complaining that no characters tend to be LGBT+. Do you see the difference?

izzybot and deadrats like this.
  15. Selbbin

This is going way away from my normal moral compass and making me look like an ass.

Read my backtrack. My initial statement is more about the standardization than the exception. The need for characters to conform to make them relate-able.

16. Selbbin

But nowadays, thankfully, so many of them are. But they should only be because that's the character, not because it's a gimmick. Because gimmicks are meaningless.

I mean, fuck, I write gay characters often, male and female. I'm hardly against it.

It's the exact reason they were not, because the 'larger demographic' 'can't relate.' Which I call bullshit on. The whole egotism of identity goes the other way and caused considerable damage by promoting exclusion.

17. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

So it's kind of a straw man, then, because I don't think anyone (anyone here, at least) is saying that they absolutely cannot identify with characters who don't share a certain characteristic with them. They're saying that they appreciate being able to identify with a character that does share a certain characteristic.

There must be something about you that's not mainstream. Say... say you were a straight white male in a traditionally female profession - kindergarten teacher, maybe. Say that whenever you meet people and tell them what you do for a living they give you a weird look, and some of them seem to actually think there's something morally wrong with you because you must be a paedophile or something. Whenever people talk about your profession they always use the female pronouns. When you go to a conference for other kindergarten teachers there are activities planned for spouses and those activities are all male-oriented. etc. etc.

And then you read a novel with a male kindergarten teacher in it.

Wouldn't that be kinda nice?

And being a kindergarten teacher is something you chose to do, and something you could leave behind if the difficulties became too much. Other people don't have the option of leaving behind the parts of themselves that don't fit the dominant paradigm, so I think it's even more important for them to see themselves represented. Sometimes.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  18. CEMO

CEMO Member

That's what it's about for everyone else. I mean, what if suddenly the entertainment industry decided that we'd only show straight white guys if the story required a straight white guy? You might feel okay about it for a few months, maybe even a year, but wouldn't it start to bug you after a while? There would barely be any movies or TV shows or books ever with straight white guys. There would be no straight white guy chosen ones, no straight white guy romantic interests, no straight white guy secret agents. Nothing. That wouldn't make these TV shows, movies, or books bad, but it might surprise you and make you happy if you find a show that shows a straight white protagonist that's finally a good representation of your experiences as a straight white male, and not just a plot device. Just like how, I don't know, you'd be really happy to see someone from your home town win gold in the Olympics.

BayView and Simpson17866 like this.
  19. izzybot

Dude, if I only read books and watched tv/movies that had queer character in them, I wouldn't be a writer because I wouldn't've been exposed to nearly enough creative fodder. There's no way on earth that queer people aren't enjoying media that doesn't represent us. We obviously do not 'need' a character to be like us in that regard.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  20. Selbbin

It would be nice. That's fine. That's never been my thing. I totally agree.

My point is more like this:

Straight white guy won't read gay character because he 'can't relate' so no gay characters are published by big publisher because it limits the market = no gay characters.

See the limitation in diversity when people need / not want / to identify to enjoy something?

21. antlad

antlad Banned

I Have not.

I have a feeling major publishers have some in the pipeline. I would imagine there is a balance trying to be found to sell to the largest audience and debates of how queer a genre can be. I think it will take some time for things to be figured out as far as money vs population numbers vs distribution methods. The more breakout sellers in the self publishing field will bring mainstream on quicker. Unfortunately becoming a breakout self pub author usually is a full time job of marketing yourself.

I can say that for me and what I typically read, it really wouldn't matter either way. I generally don't care much for people's lives, so I don't read much about it. For me it would mostly be a change of Reacher tumbling into bed with Tom instead of Amy, or a female character calling their wife instead of their husband.

22. Selbbin

That's not my point. I support, encourage, and actively engage in, diversity.

23. Simpson17866

@Selbbin Let's think of it this way:

If we only look at one character in one story, then whether that one character is or is not more similar or different to a specific reader should not play a role in whether the reader connects with the character. This is not up for debate; everybody has already agreed.

Now imagine 100 stories with 10 characters each, and every single one is different from the reader in a very specific way that does not reflect reality.

Do you see the difference?

BayView likes this.
  24. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I think you're off on a weird tangent with this "need/not want/to identify to enjoy something". Nobody here is saying they need all characters to be gay in order to enjoy the book. Nobody is saying they can never identify with characters unlike themselves in certain aspects. They're saying it's important that sometimes characters have things in common with them.

izzybot and Simpson17866 like this.
  25. Selbbin

It's about it being the other way around. About the non-acceptance of diversity because of the need to identify with the 'mainstream'.