Writing Under the Influence

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by marshipan, Mar 13, 2014.

1. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

That sounds bad!

I prefer the style of stimulant that is quietly working, a tiny little helper in the background that I hardly notice. I've never tried amphetamines, though admittedly other stimulants I did notice a stage where I had to acclimate to the drug before I was more or less back to normal (plus a little better at accomplishing things), so I can understand what you mean. I remember the first time I had ephedrine I felt like an entirely different person.

I read some article that listed dexedrine as the most common drug for (dead) famous writers.

2. Vronsky

Vronsky Member

On the subject of writers famous for both their work and their substance abuse, I spent a pleasant few weeks at the end of my previous job reading interviews of great writers in The Paris Review:

http://www.theparisreview.org/interviews

As I recall, pretty much all who spoke on the subject said they wrote when sober.

That being said, I've been meaning to write again for years and years now. I finally managed a few hundred words last night, and they flowed very easily, and I have to confess I was drinking while I did it. I hesitate to read it back now.

minstrel likes this.
  3. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

It was the dexedrine that was responsible. I have an inhereted resistence to most drugs, so they figured upping the dose would work. I was early elementary at the time so this didn't go over well. I said no and my grandparents took up my cause.

Free, I found my focus. Words and music. With inherent fractals and patterns it is easy to zen out and concentrate. I'm not broken, merely different.

jannert likes this.
  4. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

I believe Hemingway said 'Write drunk, edit sober'. I wouldn't advocate it as a chemical means of somehow enhancing your writing but one shouldn't feel dissuaded from writing after a drink or three. If it's shit in the cold light of sobriety then it goes, same as any work that doesn't make the grade.

5. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Hemingway supposedly said a lot of things, many of which, if he actually did, didn't mean. Like the infamous "The first draft is always shit" - his grandson states that his first drafts were actualy very clean.

If one is going to imbibe only to toss out the writing when sober, why not just imbibe in front of the TV and save the energy? ;)

6. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

To say that is to presuppose that the writing will be cast asunder. Not necessarily so. Having said that, I've never, to my immediate recollection, written anything for my WIP when intoxicated. I much prefer songwriting in such a state. That, watching TV and participating in online writing forums. In that order. ;)

7. jonahmann

jonahmann Active Member

8. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Having both written and read the marvels of creativity done while under the influence, I'm quite sure most, if not all, such writing should be tossed.

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hemingway always comes up in these discussions. Hemingway was a genius as a writer. He was also a self-destructive drunk. Was he great as a writer because of his drinker, or despite it? No one can know for sure, but I suspect he would have been an even better writer if he exorcised all his demons through his writing rather than by getting blind drunk for lengthy binges.

He was human, with human failings. Learn from his writing, but don't place him on a pedestal with the assumption he could do no wrong.

10. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I dunno. To me the alcohol may be a helpful tool to diminish the initial fear and doubt, but it's not some super drink that turns people into good writers. As Cogito said, Hemingway may have written great works of literature while drinking, but it was the drink that was destroying him.

I'm also reminded of Stephen King. If alcohol is involved, it's either when the alcoholic is reformed, or the alcoholic is the villain. Since he's a former alcoholic himself, he probably wouldn't appreciate people passing on the advice that being drunk improves writing skills.

Again, you can use it as a helpful tool if you'd like, but don't use it as a crutch or see it as some sort of super drink.

11. karmazon

karmazon Member

I wish I could write after drinking, but alcohol makes me too tired to concentrate. I do smoke ecigarettes extensively though, so I'm under the influence of something.

12. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

Caffeine, though it's so easy to mess up my sleep with that stuff that I sometimes wonder why I even bother.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  13. Annihilation

Annihilation Active Member

I am notoriously anti alcohol anti weed head hokey pokey and anti herb/pot but damnit, if you give me some DMT, I'll give you a six pack tequila, add in some tamales con queso and call it a night.