Writing with the doors closed?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by blueshogun96, Apr 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

There may be subtle differences, which the common man cannot discern. Unless you're an expert in nutrition, chemistry,psychology, food science, and biology(also economics), you're not qualified to say one flavor might not in some ways be superior to the other. So be careful in your statements.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Oh, so chocolate vs. vanilla is quantifiable? Damn. I better get off this trolley before someone rides it off a cliff.

123456789 likes this.
  3. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

*takes a puff*

Have you ever read any Gilles Deleuze? That's some deep shit, man.

"A book is a small cog in a much more complex, external machinery. Writing is a flow among others; it enjoys no special privilege and enters into relationships of current and counter-current, of back-wash with other flows — the flows of shit, sperm, speech, action, eroticism, money, politics, etc."

4. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

So... who writes with the door closed, literally? I have cats who get very nervous about being shut in anywhere (probably because they're all rescues who had to live in a cage for months) so I don't think I've ever written in a room with the door closed.

Could this be why I'm not published yet?

[​IMG]

Imaginarily and Simpson17866 like this.
  5. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I actually like to be in a room with other people while I write, which sounds strange, but I have two young kids, so it's not often possible to lock myself away and I've come to enjoy the ambient sounds.

6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I have to be on my own to write well ... not often actually shut in as kim didn't like that, but alone in my cubbyhole office or alone in the house

7. Imaginarily

Imaginarily Disparu en Mer Contributor

Aw man, you guys all finished arguing before I had a chance to fire my big gun. :C

*pouts, kicks rock, slithers back to den*

Simpson17866 likes this.
  8. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Typical them, really. :p

Imaginarily and Simpson17866 like this.
  9. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I think it's totally derivative to write historical fiction - you're taking a world that already exists, doing all kinds of research instead of being totally creative and making your own world.

It's also cheap to be inspired by anyone else's writing - a real writer keeps their work pure by not reading anything written by anyone else, ever.

True writers also refuse to speak to anyone at any stage of the drafting process, because they might inadvertently absorb some element of the other person's speech pattern, opinions, personality, or odor, and that might somehow be transmitted into the holy writ.

10. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

:)

Simpson17866 likes this.
  11. Spencer1990

It's the same way it's shitty to tell someone who self-published "well, you're not really published." Whether or not I think self-publishing as less than or equal to traditional publishing, I wouldn't condemn what someone does as compromised, or unoriginal.

It's shitty because you're putting one method as unique, uncompromised. And you're putting another method as compromised, unoriginal.

So, because I discuss my stories with my friend, you're saying that I'm not a creator of my own work. If that's not a bit shitty, I'm not sure what is.

Imaginarily, Tenderiser and jannert like this.
  12. 123456789

I have to be in a room full of supermodels to write well, myself.

13. jannert

I'm very sorry to have offended you. My opinion of the creative process hasn't changed, but I should have learned long ago that there comes a point where I should stop expressing it. This is a philosophical argument that nobody is ever going to win. I suppose the proof of the pudding, so to speak, comes with the eating. If you write good stories, should it matter where they come from or whose ideas have helped you envison them? Perhaps not. And you're right that everybody is entitled to use and develop their own writing process.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Simpson17866 and Spencer1990 like this.
  14. Spencer1990

I'm not offended, jannert. You'd have to work a lot harder than that to get to me. I was just having a conversation. I don't think you should stop expressing your opinion, but maybe not refer to other people as compromised and unoriginal. That would be a pretty good start. There are ways to phrase things which don't condemn others and still express the same thought.

15. jannert

I am seriously asking the question here, because I don't like offending people. How would you phrase those concepts so I can express them, but they don't offend people? Or how would you have put my argument, if you'd been in my shoes?

I started my contribution to this thread by responding to the OP's topic ...is it better to show work to people at an early stage, or to keep it to yourself? My opinion is and was that it's best to keep it to yourself until you've finished the first draft, because then the work is all your own.

From there, the discussion got more and more awkward. If I played a part in making that more awkward, I'd love some pointers in how I could have expressed the opinion differently without compromising my position.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Spencer1990 likes this.
  16. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

generally when i'm in a room full of super models i'm too busy satisfying them to be writing...

17. Imaginarily

Imaginarily Disparu en Mer Contributor

I have to be in a room full of stfu to write well. :wtf: :-D

jannert and Spencer1990 like this.
  18. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Maybe something like...

"Would you like to hear my unsupported prejudices about other people's writing? Here they are!"

19. jannert

:)

20. Spencer1990

I guess I just wouldn't label the practices of other people as unoriginal and compromised.

Imaginarily, Simpson17866 and jannert like this.
  21. 123456789

I'm going to jump in here on Jannert's behalf. If ever there was a constructive, non self serving member here, who genuinely enjoys helping(and praising) other writers, it's Jannert.

Disparaging other writers was probably so far from her mind when she wrote those posts, that I bet it never even occurred to her that someone might be offended. She was just giving her opinion.

Rosacrvx, Robert Musil and jannert like this.
  22. jannert

But if you felt that a practice DID interfere with originality, how would you express that?

23. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Honestly? Don't engage because these discussions rarely hold their informative aspects for more than a dozen posts. State your case, support it as best you can, clarify (once or twice at most) if there's some misinterpretation/disagreement/confusion//whatevs... then go make a drink and let the train continue where it will. I'm still confused as to how a set of opinions get treated as if they're supportable facts. Or how a differences of opinions are continuously misconstrued as attacks or challenges.

24. jannert

Yes, I think you've hit the nail on the head. Say my bit, clarify it once or twice, if need be. Then stop. You're right. I should never have let it carry on as long as it did.

Rosacrvx and Simpson17866 like this.
  25. big soft moose

"In my opinion this practice may interfere with originality"

But TBH you are worrying unnecessarily - someone will get offended whatever you say, and trying to please everyone generally pleases no one

Homer Potvin and jannert like this.