Writing with the doors closed?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by blueshogun96, Apr 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Believe me, if there was an audio function to do that I would be hitting that button every five seconds. Ya'll couldn't find your mute buttons fast enough.

blueshogun96 likes this.
  2. Rosacrvx

Rosacrvx Contributor Contributor

Answering the OP.

I never talk to anyone about an idea for a story before it's written. It messes with my creative process. I need to create alone. The time for feedback and opinion is after I have something to show.
    How is that working for me? Well, sometimes people like it, sometimes they don't. I don't have to worry about it because I'm not writing professionally and I have no ambition. I can afford to write what pleases me.
    But now that I have two novels out of my system I notice that before I start writing I think of the reader more than I did previously. And now that I have experience in what works and what doesn't, which I didn't when I started, I use that experience to make it more pleasant for the reader whenever I can and whenever that doesn't collide with my personal taste. Either way, I've always been a solitary writer and that's what works for me. After it's finished, sure, I will show it around and ask for opinion, but not before.

blueshogun96 likes this.
  3. Solar

Solar Banned Contributor

I write with the doors of perception cleansed :)

pyroglyphian likes this.
  4. Rickard Eriksson

Rickard Eriksson Member

Research is done in a closed room, writing is telling About the research in a humane way.

5. joe sixpak

joe sixpak Banned

So you don't believe in ' killing your darlings' ? :)

6. Rickard Eriksson

Rickard Eriksson Member

I think all my "darlings" had a message to tell, then under recommendation i am forced to "kill my darlings" due to ethical reasons, last time i wrote something about a topic i received this " Disappointed and sad, but mostly frustrated that you cant follow ethical rules and regulations, do you have a moral compass?" I considered my work provocative and revolutionary, questioning the current paradigm and work methods on certain things. In the end i was told, " Truth is not for everyone, isnt humanity about the best of worlds, isnt humanity about love and safety? " So i "killed my darling" well the way i portrayed it and swapped the paradigm, the message is still coming, i just had to change the story to fit in the ethical and moral way of our society, and keep the message to the " Love is a language that is important to save "

Imaginarily likes this.
  7. blueshogun96

blueshogun96 Member

I like this. While I do want to write a novel that everyone can enjoy, I instinctively want to enjoy it first... even if it means having a version that only I will have. The immense fantasy (sort of a high) that I experience when the idea is fresh and the inspiration is the strongest is the best time of writing to me. It's very similar to the very beginnings of a relationship (okay, maybe I shouldn't go too far with that comparison, lest I anger some of you love birds out there), you want to enjoy the best moments before the decrescendo hits. After the first draft or two, then I'll start asking for other people's opinions. Because even if they hate it, I want to enjoy it for at least a moment.

Shogun.

8. Rosacrvx

Rosacrvx Contributor Contributor

I get what you're saying, including the "infatuation" period. I had never thought about it that way, but I see what you mean and that's how it goes for me too.
    I especially like what you say here: even if it means having a version that only I will have.
    This had not crossed my mind before so clearly. You really made me think with this one. Thanks!

Simpson17866 likes this.