1. alw86

alw86 Active Member

'X is my first novel' in agent letters

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by alw86, Mar 19, 2021.

I'm trying to draft a query letter and wondering about this. The novel I'm querying is actually my third, but the previous two were not published (the first one I queried half-heartedly just to see what the process was like, knowing that it likely wasn't of publishable quality, while the second one I trunked immediately for the same reason).

That being the case, it feels disingenuous to say 'this is my first novel'. Can I put something like 'I have never been published' or 'I am not yet published' instead?

Thanks!

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I'd say if you're unpublished, it doesn't matter. First, third, or 12th has no bearing on whether the particular product you're pitching will sell, which is all the agents care about.

deadrats and alw86 like this.
  3. alw86

alw86 Active Member

True, thanks! I'll just put 'X is my first novel' then, no need to over-complicate things.

deadrats likes this.