1. princessgirl

princessgirl New Member

Novel Y.A Novel

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by princessgirl, Aug 1, 2011.

I wanted to write my own Y.A. novel,I read a couple books to help with the process like The Outsiders, That was then This is now, The Gossip Girl,A-Listers.What in your mind makes a successful high school Y.A. Novel?

The plot I had for my novel: A new girl arrives to private school in a beach town, she is entering her junior year.As she walks down the hall she is being size up by everybody. The school top clique know as the Royals rule the school with iron fist, they pick certain people to join them. She has to survive a humiliating hazing process to make into the cheerleading team. To be accepted,she feels like she has to lie not to only about her sexual history, boyfriends, alcohol,etc..She ends up falling for a guy that plays for a local band. What you guys think?

2. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Cog will post a rather rude "Story concept means nothing thread", even if the post is cookie-cutter it has truth in it. Don't worry too much just go and write it.

3. Midnight_Adventurer

Midnight_Adventurer Active Member

Hi princessgirl!

Like colorthemap said, just get writing! Your story concept isn't unique, it's how you write your story that'll make it special. Get cracking so you can post your first chapter and then we can tell you what we think.

Good luck! :)

4. heyitsmary

heyitsmary New Member

Just like with any other book, with YA novels you have to know your audience (teens/young adults) and create characters that they can identify with. That's the best advice I can give you off the top of my head.

5. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

While everything the others have said is true, and there are no truly unique ideas left in the world, some ideas are more intriguing than others. To use an oxymoron, what you've presented is exceptionally generic. Every story needs a selling point. You'll realise this when you want to try to get the book published and have to write a query letter. This outline is very basic so you have room to add something appealing to your plotline as you flesh out the details.

6. Shadow Reeves

Shadow Reeves Active Member

On a plane filled with Motherf**king Snakes.
    i disagree, there are always unique ideas being created. in fact I'm writing one into a story at the moment. although your concept does sound a lot like Mean Girls...

what makes or breaks a Y.A story is the characters themselves. The actual plot line really cant deviate much from home life, school life, social life. and how a particular issue (or several issues)affects all these elements. in your case the issue is "the Royals" and you must decide how this changes the character - which sections of her life are stressed and how the character sees the world because of said change - maybe she changes back, maybe she changes into a vampire and flies away with her luminescent-vampire-garageband-pot-smoking-boyfriend.

Shadow Reeves

7. beaver777

beaver777 New Member

I'd love to read a reverse story, written from the clique's point of view. A kind of high school Dungeon Keeper. :)

8. AceTachyon

AceTachyon New Member

Go with what you have and write it.

Write it, write it, write it.

Ideas are a dime a dozen. It's all in the execution. You will end up with your own spin on the idea.

Now go write.

9. AxleMAshcraft

AxleMAshcraft New Member

Here's what I have to say, take it or leave it.

I would never read something like that. Not to say that everyone is going to feel the same way. I'm a punk with arms full of bracelets, eyes circled in eyeliner, black and purple hair and enjoy reading the ye ol' classics like Shakespeare and Dracula. If you're directed toward a certain kind of audience, they are going to love it and there's going to be someone who throws in it you're facing telling you how many times it's been "done before".

What someone said about no ideas being original is true, but there is always a way of making it your own.
    I always strive to make some sort of deep tension inside the character, something that they don't want everyone around them to know until it's completely necessary, and, just because it is my style, I really like to add in some horrible tragedy and leave it open ended.
    Maybe she admits to this guy she likes that she's been lying, thinking he'll accept it and he denies her?
    This might be a little deep for a Y.A. novel, but maybe not:
    Maybe she's always struggled with her weight and finds that being in a beach community makes her feel uncomfortable about herself? And exploring how she has to face her own demons, so to speak, while still putting herself out there to everyone?

Remember, these are just suggestions :) I'm sure that whatever you turn out with is going to be amazing. You never know, it could be the next Twilight :D

Let me know if you need any other suggestions, talking to someone from an outside point of view might help you for tailoring your idea so it has aspects for more than one kind of audience...if that makes any sense...P.M. me or I can give you my email.