Novel Yay, I came up with the perfect title for my novel!

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Tesoro, Jun 8, 2011.

Tags:
  1. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

I have said this on other, "Title" threads; I do not Title my stuff until the very end. It's pointless because most publishers will have you change your title any ways.

People try to use titles to drive their story when in reality it should be the other way around. I usually find my Title with in the story it's self.

Good Luck

2. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I know!!! I'm swedish too and I know it's a lot easier to come up with titles that sound good in english, maybe an expression or something that can't be directly translated... My title was actually a part of a songtext that came to me while writing and fortunately it could well be translated into swe. in fact it sounds really good and as far as I can see there is no book with even a similar name. The only negative side about coming up with titles in english would be that if you do you can bet ya it has already been claimed... :D
    Just out of curiosity; what genre do you write? Are you one of those deckarförfattare that sweden seems to be exploding with? ;) or do you write SF like many here? My novel is a love-story and I can tell you it's pretty hard to come up with a title that a. doesn't sound like or identical with something already written and b.doesn't sound like the usual love-story-clichee. :rolleyes:

3. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

by the way, This morning while trying to get back to sleep again I came up with the ending too!!! DOUBLE YAY! I mean, I know how it would end in a general sense but not how to write it or where exactly to end the story. I have been worrying so much about the way to get it right and it suddenly hit me! Now I feel such a relief. :))

4. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

Now THAT'S something worth crowing about! Don't you love it when the pieces finally come together?

Nah. It was in response to the OP. I don't generally like to read other responses before I reply to a post. Didn't even realize how serendipitously placed the posts were.

5. AveryWhite

AveryWhite Active Member

I usualy tend to have the title just as i come up with the book. They just come to me and most of the time theyre just right. But other times i have to think about it but even then it doesnt take me too long. The good thing about titles, is they can be easily changed, and changed agian and agian. Right up until the time your about to publish.

6. Merlin

Merlin Member

I can think of a lot of titles to be honest, it's just that I have hard problems with deciding on them. Take the novel that I'm currently working on, for example. Alien Dusk is one title, ranging from, but not limited to: The Legend of Averbrook Town (The town that it's set in), A-Day.

And, of course, Someone help me name this book.