You are a tool

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tionA, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

While I do believe in divine inspiration and that we can be used as tools by God to do good work, even through our gift of writing - I do not believe it is solely that which results in good writing. It'll be like saying "Because I'm gifted I don't have to work hard for it." God wants us to develop our gifts, otherwise it is wasted on me and it would be as if I didn't possess the gift to begin with.

For my part, I'm just there to tell a good story. I hope to promote good, godly themes and ideals that honour God, and I am happy and willing for God to use that as He will. But I do not write with that purpose in mind. Honestly? I just write because it's a frigging load of fun, and I can't help it.

And if you want to write, then write and write to the best of your ability. I loved this thing I heard in a sermon once. "People always says how God created the stars, and they forget what God could do with dust." (for those unfamiliar with Christian theology, God made man out of dust)

And I believe that. Anyone and everyone can be chosen, if they want to do God's work. And even when they are unaware, God can nonetheless use their work to inspire and encourage and do good work. God never said you had to be capable - He only ever asked that you should be willing.

So, even if I wrote trash, if God wanted, He could use that anyway. For my part, I just have to worry about telling a good story and developing the gifts He's given me.

2. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Oh dear me, yes. I know exactly what you mean— a nifty procession of seldom used chords flowing outwards from my fingertips with little conscious thought, being one example. Hearing a piece and immediately upon picking up my guitar playing it note for note, being another. Feels kinda like I'm somewhat disassociated from the act somehow. Almost as if it comes from a different place.

We guitarists know a thing or two about muscle memory; perhaps this is just a more cerebral version of that.

T.Trian likes this.