You write, but not for money?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by domenic.p, Mar 28, 2015.

1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

So, the problem is, you don't know the definition of first, second and third world countries. I see.

2. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

The concept of "Second World" was a construct of the Cold War and the term has largely fallen out of use since the revolutions of 1989, although it is still used to describe countries that are in between poverty and prosperity, such as Canada, many of which are now capitalist states. Subsequently, the actual meaning of the terms "First World", "Second World/Canada" and "Third World" changed from being based on political ideology to an economic definition.[1] The three world theory has been criticized as crude and relativity outdated for its nominal ordering (1, 2, 3) and sociologists have coined the term "developed", "developing", and "underdeveloped" except when referring to Canada —nevertheless, the three world theory is still popular in contemporary literature and media and among old men in America. This might also cause semantic variation of the term between describing a region's political entities and its people.

jannert, Swiveltaffy, BayView and 2 others like this.
  3. AASmith

AASmith Senior Member

Where did you get this from? Canada is a first world country.

http://www.nationsonline.org/bilder/third_world_map.jpg

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  4. Megalith

Megalith Contributor Contributor

5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

And always has been from the first use of the term. Here's your link though it's out of date:[​IMG]
    Brazil, Russia, India and China are now in a mid developed category called the BRIC countries. Some are now including South Africa in that economic category. That means Brazil, India and South Africa should be yellow on that map.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    Fullmetal Xeno and Catrin Lewis like this.
  6. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Maybe some of us say "I don't write for the money" in the earlier stages of writing because if we admitted we did, we'd be so scared by our own hubris we'd delete our word processing programs and play Candy Crush Saga all day.

Or we're secretly afraid that sales figures define how good our precious finished baby is, and we don't want to be in the position of wondering if our literary offspring is really a dog.

So we do the fox and grapes thing and say, "Heck, I wasn't in it for the money anyway!"

My two cents. Now pardon me while I go sing "O Canada."

7. AASmith

AASmith Senior Member

Its hard to tell on the internet lol

8. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

Canada has now reached second world status? Give it a few decades and it might be up here with the big boys.

If you are writing in order to earn decent money, then there are more productive ways to spend your time.

9. matwoolf

Sorry @AASmith . It is difficult on-line. Any teasing of 'Canada' is lovingly applied. Canada is a beacon to a foreign type such as myself - in a world of pain - or words to the effect, y'know.

10. domenic.p

domenic.p Banned

AAsmith,
    World
    power

World power does not mean quality of living the people have. The USA, Russia, and China are world powers...that gives them a rating of number one. True Canada has good quality of life, but it is not a world power. On it's own, could it stand up to Russia, or China in an atomic war? No, and to say it could would not be true. My home country is Italy. My passport is Italian. Italy is not a world power, it is not up there with most countries. The standard of living is good in the north, not in the south. Should I take insult to my country not being a world power? No. I don't understand this, "My nation is better than your nation stuff." There is no people any better than any other...this, "My nation is better than your nation stuff is B.S." Those who sing that song are the reason wars start. Just like on this thread.
    Little kids put a stick on their shoulder and dare the other little kid to knock it off. I don't play that game. Canada is not a world power...It never has been.

11. matwoolf

Somebody must have written a decent 'Invasion Canada' story?

12. Megalith

Megalith Contributor Contributor

Are we still taking about writing?

Maybe that Southpark movie that came out recently.

matwoolf, Catrin Lewis and AASmith like this.
  13. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

If you insist on having a discussion of your classification of Canada into your classification of classifications, it's past time to take it to the Debate Room.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  14. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

@GingerCoffee

I think that map needs more colors.

15. Swiveltaffy

Swiveltaffy Contributor Contributor

This is a funny ass thread.

16. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Megalith likes this.
  17. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contributor

We have the internet for a reason. Seriously there's thousands upon thousands of websites where you can share your story. If you want to publish your book that's an entirely different issue, because obviously you must have some interest in money if you're looking to publish. Besides that though if you're looking to publish you'll discuss terms with the publisher before hand. You'll negotiate a fair deal with them and be on your way.

18. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

That reminds my of an Edison quote: "I may not be the smartest man in the room, but he works for me."

What Edison fails to understand, is that if that's the case, then the smartest man in the room isn't interested in the money.

Maybe your priorities should be with the smart peoples.

jannert likes this.
  19. Dunning Kruger

Dunning Kruger Active Member

The problem with the Edison quote is usually it's "I'm not the smartest person in the room but I work for him. And he's a dick."

20. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

That should be "I work for someone who has reached their level of incompetence and will stifle any input from the smartest person in the room incase it undermines them"

21. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

*awkwardly slides self past those doing the 'my country is better than yours!' dick-waving* Just for the record, to quote a Canadian friend from another forum: 'I care only about individuals, not which herd they come from'. I'll treat you all the way I want to be treated, I couldn't care less what flag you live under. Also, I might need some Russian vodka to drown out the image I just gave myself.

*ahem*

While it is good to write for the story, for the pure pleasure of writing, publishing is something else. You have to get agents/publishers as others said, and you have to think of what will sell, what will make money. As I understand it, you can write whatever you want, but if the general population is sick and tired of zombies, then your supernatural historic thriller of Vlad the Impaler vs. Zombies will likely not sell as well know what I mean?

jannert likes this.
  22. Dunning Kruger

Dunning Kruger Active Member

Well that's often the case. Just make sure the smartest one in the room isnt actually Dunning Kruger...

23. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I feel like I'm a competent writer, but I also feel I'm a very poor salesperson. Writing and selling what you write are two completely different talents. Some writers are lucky in that they can do both. I don't feel like I WANT to try 'selling' my work. It'll be out there soon. Buy it or not. It's up to you. I'm not basing my pension on it. I did it because I wanted to do it, not because I wanted to sell it.

GingerCoffee and Komposten like this.
  24. AASmith

AASmith Senior Member

I am sorry if you think I was saying Canada was better. I was using Data from Canada because that is where I found data and in terms of income for this field Canada and US are similar. The comment about the competitiveness was to show that even in places that really value journalism they don't pay the average fulltime staff as much as you would think. The fact that you think the average freelance writer would make $100k a year is silly when staffed writers don't get paid that much. Not only that but what average person will find 4-5 publications to print their work every single week? I might find 4-5 publications that need writers but that doesn't mean they will always go with me. You can certainly make a living off of writing but it is not a field (especially as a creative writer) that one say "I want to make a lot of money one day! Hey I know, I'll write books!" It can happen but how often does that happen?

I am currently working somewhere making $25,000 less a year than my earning potential only because i realized what I could be doing doesn't make me happy. Its important for me to earn money from my writing but at the end of the day I'll continue writing no matter how much money i make from it.

25. AASmith

AASmith Senior Member

I agree which is why I dont think I would make a good self published author. Some people can but I dont think i am one of those people