1. Mousie

Mousie New Member

"You'll be in my heart"...What?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Mousie, May 18, 2008.

I was watching a movie in my world history class not long ago - Flyboys I think - and the main character was all head-over-heels for this really pretty French girl. She had to leave the country, and while they were saying goodbye, she said "You'll be in my thoughts and in my heart." That's when it hit me - how can you be in someone's heart?

I get how you can be in someone's thought, but their heart?

That's one of those old phrases that gets used a lot, but when you think about it, it doesn't really make sense. What do you guys think? Do you know any other weird phrases like that?

Forgive me if this is in the wrong forum - it's about weird phrases so I figured it might go here, but maybe I should've posted it somewhere else? I'm not very good at this kind of thing...

2. Tragic Author

Tragic Author New Member

despite it being a metefore... i love this kind of pointless talk. =P

well, its not really a quote people use often, but "you say it best when you say nothing at all."

T*A

3. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

It's not really something complicated. Heart was considered to be the center of emotions, feelings, thinking, etc in the time of Egyptians, and beyond. Therefore, we have phrases like 'you stole my heart', 'he broke my heart', 'you'll always be in my heart', etc.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

When you are in an elevated emotional state, your heartbeat strenthens and speeds up. The most obvious indicator of death is when the heart stops beating. So for many centuries, the heart was deemed the center of life and of emotion.