Your Earliest Memory

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Arthur_Rimbaud

Arthur_Rimbaud New Member

I recall something from when I was around one and a half, crawling around on the floor, playing with the cat. Seeing as it's so far back though, it feels blurry, almost dreamlike.

2. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

I remember - when I was about 3 or 4 - waking up in the middle of the night, hearing my cat making noise outside. I tiptoed to the window and saw Fat Cat (an old Australian children's character - ie a man dressed in a "friendly" cat costume) was devouring my cat. :eek:

My mother never managed to convince me it was just a dream. :p

3. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

WOW, that would be creepy.

4. sophie.

sophie. New Member

Not sure if it's my earliest memory, but I remember arriving at our new house in Sydney, not that long before I turned 4, all I remember is the neighbour giving my mum the keys...oh and the house was full of fleas, I remember sitting on the rug feeling pretty miserable cos of that ! :p

5. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

I remember being in the hospital when my sister was born. So I was three at the time.

6. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

My earliest memory?

My dog swallowing a hotdog I was careless enough to let him get at, then going up to elbow down his throat to get it and my mom screaming in horror as the hotdog went back in my mouth.

Yumyum. :)

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

dog hotdog

8. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

That made me shudder.

9. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

Nice way to get your life's memories off to a crackin' start, eh? :D

10. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I don't have a very good memory, and my earliest would have to be when I was 5, September, 89. Why? Because it was the beginning to 12 months of hell for my family.

11. M9A8E6S4TO

M9A8E6S4TO New Member

I remember being very young.. it was my birthday party.. and I remember looking down at my stomach and feeling the water slide over it. I was in a little blowup swimming pool.. I was shooting a watergun with my cousins and brothers. My parents were watching me. I was so damn happy. My family was so damn happy. Everything was so simple.... I can't watch home videos like that... I think they are the only things, besides extreme pain, that can make me cry.

I remember all kinds of experiments I did. Once I was spray-painting rocks with gold spraypaint. I planned on selling them until I accidentally sprayed the paint into my eyes.

Once, my brother told me that Einstein said there were a million different universes. He was young, too, and I don't know why or how he knew that, but it got me thinking.. I wanted to enter these other universes, so I finally decided on getting lots of stereos together, aiming them at one spot, and playing very loud, clashing, dissonant music on them. I figured that if the disturbance was great enough it would open up a rift in the Universe that I could crawl through.

I also had this experiment where I stuck all these pencils in an orange and left it under my desk for months. I don't know what that was about.

12. sophie.

sophie. New Member

He he he :)

13. Zaylee

Zaylee New Member

Erm, I think mine is when I was around 3 or 4, falling asleep on my dad's shoulders after a shopping trip!

14. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

My earliest memory would have to be when I was two or three. it was when I was stuck up a guava tree. tee hee :-D

15. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

I was around 2...I wanted to be a big girl like my sister so I climbed up on the top bunk...then I didn't know how to climb down...so I climbed down facing forward. I caught my foot on a rung and fell forward cracking my head on a dresser....then...there is this gap of a couple hours then I remember this really cold metal table and this big machine that mom said was taking pictures of my insides. My first memory is also my first concussion....would that it had been my last. Sigh.

16. London Calling

London Calling New Member

Unfortunately a few of my earliest memories aren't very heart warming or 'fuzzy'. My best memory from 4 is sitting on my mom's lap, watching Annie for the first time. I remember my mom's smell, you know the scent you always remember? Well, when Annie ended I cried like it was the end of the world. The crazy thing is, EVERY time I watch Annie, I cry when it ends.

17. ChaseRoberts

ChaseRoberts New Member

I seem to have no memories of before the age of five.

I'm not sure of the chronology of the three earliest things I remember.

The first was walking along a big wooden pier with waves lapping alongside it. There was a wooden shop in the middle of this pier. I remember the feeling of the sun warming my skin, and the smell of the water. (Florida- trip to seaworld)

The second was being in my parents' shop at Christmastime. I was getting under everyone's feet. It was really busy, and there was the smell of granny in the shop (it was a pharmacy). I remember one of the shop girls unlocking the perfume cabinet and taking out a sample for one of the old ladies (red and black tartan skirt, brown orthopedic lace up shoes). There was a man, in a black bomber jacket. He had bags under his eyes that made them look really black. He reached into the perfume cabinet and removed several perfumes, stuffing them into his jacket. He saw me looking at him, knelt down to my eye level, and whispered 'our little secret, okay?' I remember being terrified. He didn't look right, he didn't smell right. To this day, I don't think I've told my mother about that shoplifter.

The third was answering the telephone. It was a beige bakalite number, and I was in the kitchen. My grandma was sat at the table across from me in a plume of smoke, my mum was in the bath. The voice at the other end of the phone asked for my mum, and I explained she was in the bath. It was a north english accent, a man, who then asked me if I was alone. I lied and said I was, no idea why. He asked me what I was wearing and to take off my trousers. I said I did, but I didn't. After listening to him talking and asking me to do things for what seemed like forever, but was probably on reflection only about a minute, I hung up the phone. When my mum came down the stairs she asked who had called. I said I didn't know, and said nothing else about it. Instinctively I knew this was something people didn't talk about.

Not the happiest memories in the world, I guess that's why I'm so dark now.

18. burned_out

burned_out New Member

I remember being held by my mother with a bunch of people standing around me smiling. I don't know how old I was, but I wasn't walking.