Your experience level

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Jesse, Jun 17, 2006.

1. KaitonLocke

KaitonLocke New Member

Sapphire's in the same boat I am. I have been working on fictons for 4 years, working harder to improve adn become the best I can be. I have few works, most are still being added to and edited. And I also absorb and learn better writing from reading.

My first work earned me an invite to gmail based on length, not sure it quality as rated.

2. Hellbent

Hellbent New Member

But remember this, just because you're not published doesn't mean you're not a worthy writer; and just because somebody is published, doensn't mean that they ARE worthy. I've seen plenty of shit work that's been published.

3. Artaxes

Artaxes New Member

When does beginner end and intermediate begin?

I have been writing off and on for over fifteen years, but still I hardly ever finish anything. My mind is too busy :eek:) When I start one story another one already pops into my head - it drives me mad!

I have three novels on the go and that is no good. I know I need to concentrate on one, but I keep changing my mind which one ;o)

Anyway, I suppose in some ways I am an absolute beginner and in other ways I am intermediate, as I have found my own style of writing...

4. Komisarek

Komisarek New Member

I would classify myself as a beginner in fictional writing.
    Been writing for myself on and off the last 15 years

5. Veronica0406

Veronica0406 New Member

I have written my blog...and this is the limit of my experience. lol :p

I have written some saucy emails, does that count?

All kidding aside, I do enjoy writing and have decided to explore the possibilities. :)

6. Lashes5000

Lashes5000 New Member

I write for a living. But I am new to fiction. Just got the idea in my head I'd like to write and publish a novel.

I don't know how important experience is. It can make a writer more marketable. But I don't think it will necessarily determine the quality of his/her work.

7. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

I have been writing since I was about 7, mostly for my own release. It's been a large part of my life. Though, I have never published anything.

I have done some journalistic writing and have tried to dabble in all different manner of writing. The only thing I have ever done "publicly" is post some poetry on poetry.com

8. Lashes5000

Lashes5000 New Member

It's been only a matter of a couple months that I made the decision to start writing a piece of fiction. And I want to have a decent manuscript and an agent at some point in 2007.

OK, so I've been mulling story ideas over. About 3 weeks ago I came up with a real gem! Very original, moving and inspirational. It draws upon several genres (that you rarely see combined) and is quite complex in terms the various crises and conflicts the main characters encounter and the way they are all resolved. I LOVE this idea. But it is rather ambitious...especially for a first attempt at writing fiction. I have no idea how long a manuscript this might turn out to be. But every time I go back to plotting it out, it gets more and more busy and unweildy. (But I still love it!)

OK, so I also have two "fall back" ideas. They are a lot less original...pretty straightforward. No real plot twists. One basic genre. One or two crises/conflicts. I like the ideas but don't love them the way i do the first idea. But I can realistically see a beginning and an end.

Make no mistake: I want to get published. Soon. Which route would you take???

9. Felony

Felony New Member

I don't get what your askin bud.

10. Lashes5000

Lashes5000 New Member

If it were your first story and you were serious about wanting to get published would you write:
    A) the very ambitious, complicated, difficult story you love or
    B) the easier, less original piece you feel OK about?

11. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

Take on the project that is inspiring you right now. Set aside your thoughts of how difficult the plot may be to develop. It sounds to me like your first idea is your baby. I say go with it!

and if you want some help twisting out the plot etc..pm me :) happy to help

12. Spherical Time

Spherical Time New Member

I agree. Ambitious sounds better at the moment. Even if you get caught up in it, it sounds like it'll be a better story in the end.

13. KaitonLocke

KaitonLocke New Member

Ambitious always does seem better. Plus, going against the idea that has you drooling over is always something you'd regret later.

14. Hayvon

Hayvon Member

Experience level...Now that's a difficult question. I've been writing for 24 years

First attempt at a novel: Age 8 (It didn't have much content--a paragraph or two--but the cover was beautiful.)

Published a newspaper at 10: Determined two risque by my 4th grade teacher and was taken off the shelf.

Second attempt at a novel: Age 15-19. A bad experiment with horror. I made it to 20,000 words

Third attempt at a novel: Age 20. Anarchist Utopia/distopia 20,000 words--pretty campy.

First attempt at a book of poetry: Age 21. Normal searching poetry--trite drivel

Fourth attempt at a novel: Age 22-32 finally finished, if you can consider it that and attempting to have it published.

So 24 years and nothing to show for it, but dammit I just can't stop. It's almost a curse.

15. Hayvon

Hayvon Member

Experience level...Now that's a difficult question. I've been writing for 24 years

First attempt at a novel: Age 8 (It didn't have much content--a paragraph or two--but the cover was beautiful--the best use of crayons you've ever seen.)

Published a newspaper at 10: Determined two risque by my 4th grade teacher and was taken off the shelf.

Second attempt at a novel: Age 15-19. A bad experiment with horror. I made it to 20,000 words

Third attempt at a novel: Age 20. Anarchist Utopia/distopia 20,000 words--pretty campy.

First attempt at a book of poetry: Age 21. Normal searching poetry--trite drivel

Fourth attempt at a novel: Age 22-32. Thriller. Finally finished at 80,000 words, if you can consider it finished (I keep tinkering) and attempting to have it published.

So 24 years and nothing to show for it, but dammit I just can't stop. It's almost a curse.

16. Peter

Peter New Member

In your New Member introduction you said that you are new to fiction, so my advice is to go with the "easier, less original" piece. You need to learn how to write fiction first. Everyone does.

If your "ambituous" one is that great, leave it until you know how "you" write. And that takes years. Not one writer in the history of fiction has got it right first time. Don't ruin your baby, because that's what will probably happen if you go with that.

17. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

In response to Peter, my first novel has and always will be "my baby". It took me five rewrites before I was comfortable with it.

I dont think she will ruin the story just because its her first attempt. Especially if she posts snippets of what she writes for critiquing. It is MUCH easier to write a story you are passionate about, than to start anew on something you dont have as much ambition for.

My suggestion would be..make sure you understand the use of POV and the SHOW v TELL theory. Those are two of beginning writers biggest problems. If you understand those, you have most of the tough issues licked!

18. Peter

Peter New Member

Kaiton probably won't ruin her novel, but more than likely it won't be publishable. It won't be at the standard it could be, if Kaiton waits and learns. Myself, I'm not going to attempt a novel for a long time. I know the basics of fiction, but I'm also completely aware that I'm still a relatively poor writer.

19. franceslynn

franceslynn New Member

Surely, the main way to learn the craft of writing is to write and write and write! Go for it, I say!

HTML:

Frances Lynn is a professional writer and journalist. Her two novels, "Frantic" and "Crushed" are published by Eiworth Publishing at http://yourbookstore.eiworth.se/. Her musings about writing can be read at http://www.writerholic.blogspot.com/ Her personal website is http://franceslynn.org
    HTML:

20. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

Heh you are much too hard on yourself. From what I have seen of your writing and your ability to critique, you have a better grasp on it than most of us here :)

21. franceslynn

franceslynn New Member

Right now, I'd temporarily shelve your ambition about getting an agent/published and just write - the project which you have foremost in your mind. Don't compromise your writing, just go with the flow and when you're happy with your final draft, that's the time to show it to an agent. Don't show it too early though. However, if you do think your idea is too ambitious for you at the moment, put it to one side and get on with one of your other projects. You're lucky you have ideas. Also, reading the classics is very helpful when it comes to learning your craft.

HTML:

Frances Lynn is a professional writer and journalist. Her two novels, "Frantic" and "Crushed" are published by Eiworth Publishing at http://yourbookstore.eiworth.se/. Her musings about writing can be read at http://www.writerholic.blogspot.com/ Her personal website is http://franceslynn.org
    HTML:

22. Peter

Peter New Member

Cheers, Joan. I appreciate that.:)

Anways, Lashes (not Kaiton! sorry about that!)Francislynn is right, just go and do it. Sorry for all the doom and gloom. I wish you all the best in your writing.

23. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

There is an old saying, 'Strike while the iron is hot'. For fiction this is never more true.

One of the biggest bloopers any writer can make is not to write when inspired. Why wouldn't you? It doesn't make any sense. Hop to it.

As I said to you in your intro thread we have certain things in common and so true is this. I'm in exactly the same boat as I too am writing something incredibly ambitious which is not only my first attempt at a novel but the fact is it's starting to come across as an epic, and not just in length but in the sheer size of the scope despite the relatively small amount of characters.

If you're stuck at any time you could always set up a blog and write anything there just to take your mind off for awhile, which is what I do. And since blogging I have come up with a few gems that I would like to pursue so I have kept them off the net...just in case.

The publishing thing? I'm going to go against the grain to what most have said here. When writing try to research any writers groups near you as well as online. That way you can get more feedback from a range of sources while looking for suitable publishers. Expect rejection but don't let it get to you as it's inevitable for everyone. Use any and all successes and rejections as learning tools to better yourself and never take EITHER outcome seriously (well, except the successes! :cool: ).

24. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

I agree..submit submit submit..its the only way to really learn. Theres tons of advice out there to help with submitting..you take what you can and apply it to your own work and take some chances.
    I line the walls of my room with rejection letters :D

25. Spherical Time

Spherical Time New Member

I was hoping that my first rejection would be nice enough to frame, but unfortunately it was just a bad copy. I still may frame it though, I haven't decided.