1. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Your Favorite Summer Memories.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gigi_GNR, Sep 20, 2009.

I know summer is officially *gulp* over, but we have the memories. :) What was your favorite moment of the summer?

My favorite moment was in August. It was a gray rainy day outside. Not pouring, but a decent, 'regular' rain. And I love rainy days. I love them. It feels like when it rains, a plastic film gets peeled away from the world and shows it how it really is, not like the fakeness that a sunny day always feels like to me. The whole world felt real and raw and full of life. So I went outside and walked through the deliciously wet grass in the rain, with it hitting my skin in the most wonderful way. I started jumping on the trampoline in our backyard, and every time I would jump water that had absorbed into the mat kept jumping up and hitting me, and every time I did a knee-bounce it would cover my thighs completely. The trampoline made a heavy thumping sound each time I hit it, and jumping high in the air with the rain and the realness and the fullness of it all, it all felt so wonderful because it was summer and it was free of worries. And I started to laugh, laugh like an awed little kid, overjoyed with the world. I bounced and laughed in the rain, and it was wonderful. :)

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Actually, it's still summer until Tuesday. Don't shortchange us!

3. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

First off, great story. Rainy days are my favorite, and you described them so sumptuously, Gigi. Rain's so cleansing and fresh, isn't it?

I love to walk in the rain, and it only gets better in Charleston when we have hurricanes...

I'm not talking about Katrina-types, Hurricanes less than category 3's or Tropical Systems... the ones we stay for. When they hit, I go out right into the middle (with m siblings). The wind is screaming, the rain is pounding, and you get soaked to the bone running outside with the gales and the gusts pounding you forward. Then you go inside, change into some warm clothes fresh out of the dryer, and have some instant grits with an unholy amount of butter and cheese in it with some bacon and toast... it's amazing. You have to go early, too, because once everything floods the snakes get washed out of the marsh and it's hard to know where they are, including in the streets!

Great times; can't wait for the storms this year. Thanks for posting the thread!

4. Gigi_GNR

That sounds like so much fun!! :D My dad and I love storms, so we should both do that someday.

5. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

fo' shiz!

6. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

Hmm...my favorite summer memory would be when my family got together for the Fourth of July. Everybody was happy, everybody was laughing, and the day went on forever. It was the last time we had a perfect day.

Today was pretty good. too!! :D

7. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I had a few memorable experiences. I made some great friends this summer, unforgetable friends.

I still havent forgotten the incident in July... when I spent the entire day at Kings Island with no sunscreen on. I wont forget it soon; I still have little marks on my body because of it. I could have killed my best friend; she convinced me I wouldnt need it. Silly girl --she's hispanic! She doesnt need SPF 80, but her near-albino friend does! :p

I also had a good Fourth of July. Some friends and I went out of town for the fireworks and watched them on top of the hospital building (it was a really good view, and I anticipate a repeat performance next year), and then proceeded to light some of our own and ended up blowing a few things up. >=D After the event, police had blocked off our exit out of town, so we followed traffic, hoping it would lead us back to the interstate... poor directions I solicited had us headed south (we should have been headed north) for a good two hours... Didnt get home until close to 4AM! :D

8. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

Favourite Summer Memory. Last year. The monsoon was in full season, around the mid of July and it started raining around 3:00 that. We were in class, and the rain was hammering hard on the roof(we had the cottage type roof). It was impossible for the Teach's voice to be audible, and as only 20 mins were left she stopped teaching, and since the noise couldn't be heard we were free to create a racket. When the bell rang all the dayscholars(including moi) ran out. We opened our umberellas upto the Science labs so that we don't get into trouble, but after that the 6 of us shut 'em up and ran down the hill all the way to our homes. Mine was the closest so I was lil less soaked than the rest. So went home wet, got scolded by my Mom as she rubbed the water off me, changed into warm clothes, switched on two heaters full blast and plopped in front off the tv. I can still taste the different types of pakoras with tea and sauce and also the aaloo ke gutke my Mom made that day. Oh to taste it again. That was the last of the rains I shared with my friends. Autumn began just some time after, but I'll never forget the fun we had. Even today, when we're all in different cities, and it's raining outside, I feel nostalgic over it. Also the snacks I had that day had had a different flavour. I often long for 'em when talking to my sis and Mom on the phone and she tells me that she's made them for her.

Oh, for the past days to come again. *sniffle*

9. Gigi_GNR

These are such great memories. :D