Your favorite writing rule

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by deadrats, Mar 21, 2022.

1. Joe_Hall

Joe_Hall I drink Scotch and I write things

Go with your heart and write your story. Don't write what you think other people want to read--it will satisfy neither them nor you and leave your work sounding plastic and fake.

2. Rad Scribbler

Rad Scribbler Faber est suae quisque fortunae Contributor

How about;

There are no rules! Write as you will. Let the traditionalists squabble over what is acceptable or not.

Sorry; I'm in a bit of a rebellious mood today ;)

B.E. Nugent and hmnut like this.
  3. Joe_Hall

Joe_Hall I drink Scotch and I write things

I was once told by one of my English professors that the point of learning "the rules" was so that you knew how to break them later. He was a great fan of William Faulkner and Barn Burning and A Rose for Emily were both mandatory readings...if you ever want to read a man who became famous for breaking rules, Faulkner has to be king.

Rad Scribbler likes this.
  4. Rad Scribbler

Rad Scribbler Faber est suae quisque fortunae Contributor

Thanks. I will look them up :superagree:

5. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

That's probably the writing rule that's helped me the most over the year. It can be a hard one, but nonetheless a good one to know and practice.

6. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Yeah, it can be a hard one. Once during a writer's group meeting, a former student pointed out that a particular passage in my story was clever but didn't move the story forward. I started to protest, but he cut me off with, "You said in class that if it doesn't move the story forward, lose it." Damn, I hate it when students quote me to me.
    :superlaugh:

7. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

I love this advice. Hooking the goldfish by the mouth--and keep them hooked--is ultimately all that matters. Presentation, provocation, soul, whatever else, are extras.

8. Bone2pick

Bone2pick Conspicuously Conventional Contributor

I also believe that’s a good rule of thumb. But I will add, I very much admire authors who can pull off word repetition. The ones talented enough to use the same modifier twice in one sentence, or three or four times in the same paragraph.

If they can do that I know I’m in good hands.

9. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

yeah I think that would fall under "some formal reason." It's a good technique to use.

Bone2pick likes this.
  10. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

"Write how your characters see the world, not how you see your characters." Not sure where that's from... probably Self Editing for Fiction Writers.

Seven Crowns and JLT like this.
  11. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I'm big on this one. I literally read through and try to misunderstand things.

JLT likes this.
  12. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

I've brought that to other areas as well. I remember when I was involved in hang glider design, we tried hard to engineer our gliders so that it was impossible to set them up incorrectly. We didn't always succeed; as the saying goes, 'Every time you make something idiot-proof, along comes a more clever idiot." But I'm sure that that design philosophy saved a few lives.

Not the Territory and Xoic like this.
  13. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

It's the principle of Test to Failure. Give the new toy to a bunch of rambunctious kids and tell them if they can break it, swallow a part of it, or suffocate on it, they get a lollipop. Well, maybe not quite that. But put your newly-designed luggage in a cage with a gorilla and start teasing it to piss it off...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
    Not the Territory likes this.
  14. hmnut

hmnut Member

I don't fully agree with this, but it is the only rule that does not interfere with the only rule stated so far that I truly believe is unbreakable.

"JUST WRITE"

I am struggling in my writing right now, and a big part of it is trying to follow all the "rules" out there,
    always do this
    never do that
    cliches are bad, except when you do them well
    Be original, but in a way that's familiar.

I want to be clear I'm saying the rules are wrong, but I am so in my head trying to follow the rules I'm not doing the only thing that matters, writing.

Last edited: May 10, 2022
    B.E. Nugent likes this.
  15. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

The only rules that matter: Read a lot, write a lot, have realistic expectations and don't give up.

B.E. Nugent likes this.
  16. Catriona Grace

I found a fine guideline today that fits in with my own philosophy of writing. It is from 1 Corinthians 13:1.

If I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not clarity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Brilliant, right? Alas, when I reread the sentence, I realized it said charity, not clarity. :superlaugh:Ah, well, my misreading is still good writerly advice.

Also likes this.
  17. Alcove Audio

Alcove Audio Contributor Contributor

The only rules that matter. In my currently confusing life it's tough to have consistent habits, as much as I try. But I keep plugging away. Most of it is crap, but at least the ideas are there. Which brings up the other important rule - rewrite, rewrite ,rewrite, rewrite.

18. Also

Also Student of Humanity Supporter

Currently Reading::
    A Separation (2017, Katie Kitamura) ; Die Sünderin (1999, Petra Hammesfahr)
    I guess this is what people mean when they talk about the obscurity of cymbalism in writing. I never really got what cymbals had to do with it.

But that passage always calls to mind the final scene of Robert Benton's 1984 Places in the Heart. The scene is okay (if conventional) without context, but its simplicity becomes more powerful in the context of all that went before. Then again, that's an essence of good writing, to take something conventional and make it meaningful.

Code:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=IugyK8XZDDE
    (The film uses a different translation common in Southern Baptist churches.)

(And I had to use a code box to keep the link from blowing up into a nearly full-screen preview.)

Last edited: May 5, 2022
    Catriona Grace likes this.
  19. Catriona Grace

:supergrin: