Your Plot in a Nutshell

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by stampman, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Hee hee hee. :supergrin:

2. stampman

stampman Member

Plan
    Planet Express: Our people are expendable, your package is not.

3. Sundowner

Sundowner Active Member

Audio post.

4. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

An abused child dreams of adventure but quickly finds out it's not all he dreamed it would be.

Witchymama likes this.
  5. DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Member

A several volume comedy about time travel, cults, xenophobia and xenophilia, intergalactic crime, politics and religion in which a sympathetic anti-villain gives the audience stockholm syndrome and takes over half the galaxy.

6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? :D

Oscar Leigh and Witchymama like this.
  7. DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Member

It has it's ridiculous, zany moments yes. And sometimes it reads like a black mirror episode or a deadpool comic, depending on whose the narrator.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    Oscar Leigh and AdDIct like this.
  8. BoddaGetta

BoddaGetta Active Member

You got it, in a nutshell.

Oscar Leigh and AdDIct like this.
  9. Alex R. Encomienda

Alex R. Encomienda Contributor Contributor

I won't spill my WIP just yet so I'll tell you of my short story Nima the Enigma available as an ebook.

A man who can become an entity searches for his distressed wife's entity after learning of her suicide. He must find her spirit and lead her back to her body before it is too late. Through tragic sentiments and mythical reveries, the story unfolds fairly well. Go read it!

A.S.Ford and Oscar Leigh like this.
  10. Seraph751

Seraph751 If I fell down the rabbit hole... Contributor

Drat! That sounded like a great prompt!!! Interest piqued.

11. Seraph751

Seraph751 If I fell down the rabbit hole... Contributor

A drunkard of a Fairy (or at least, she reeeeeally likes beer), Wolf Yokai, a girl hybrid with wings and a tail yelling at a mushroom, a snobby witch, a set of Twin mages, meeting up and going on an adventure and wrecking havoc set in a different world without humans... Basically....

Witchymama and Oscar Leigh like this.
  12. Joker-Jayde

Joker-Jayde New Member

Hi, I've just started writing again after a few years of being out of it for personal reasons...and I have come up with a main story, just gotta think of mid story arcs and details, but this is what I have so far..
    Jacob Dante wakes up in a place he has no idea where he is, or even who he is, or how he got there. Can't remember anything about his life. The only items he has on him is his wallet with his drivers licence which reveales his name and age, and a picture of him with a woman, two teenagers and a little boy, whom he guesses are his family. (Still toying with the idea of putting a wedding ring on him) Wanders around, gets attacked by a werewolf and saved by a woman in red who we find out is called Jezabel. She tells him he is in purgatory and is damned and no way out. He obviously doesn't know how or why he is there. He has these dreams which show him with his family, loved up, going to work, being a generally good man, so confuses him even more as to why he is in purgatory, thinks there's some mistake. After trying to find a way out and all attempts failing, he gives up. Thinking there is no way out, he and Jezabel become close, he becomes infactuated by her and her darkness. She is mysterious. He falls for her and she for him. We learn that she is in purgatory because the king of purgatory (kind of devil character, but trying to stay away from popular common names), Diablos has a daughter on Earth called Jasmine. She couldn't have children which meant the Diablos bloodline would end (haven't thought of a conseqeunce for this or why it's important to keep it going) so he creates a clone of her, Jezabel, in hope that she would carry a child, give birth and give it to Jasmine, then he would kill her after as there would be no need for her.. cloning process went wrong and she became evil from it. Stole, betrayed, killed etc for fun. However, she discovered she was actually pregnant through insemination, gives birth to child, Diablos gives him to Jasmine and goes to kill Jezabel, but makes a pact with him, pulls on his heartstrings a little saying how she's still his daughter, he made her this way etc, so instead of killing her, he sents her to purgatory where she can be as evil as she wants and can't hurt anybody on earth, and he could also still go to her now and then. She kills naturally, but since meeting Jacob she tries to find good in her and when it looks like those two are getting together, a Witch Katrina finds a black magic spell that can set Jacob free, back to earth to be with his family. When he has to chose, he breaks Jezabels heart by choosing his family over her. She can't take this and blackmails Diablos to tell Jacob why he was sent to purgatory, in hope to destroy him and keep him down there with her (her messed up way of trying to keep him)
    Reason he was sent to purgatory.. his family were in financial crisis with his wife Skylar having to leave work to take care of their sick child Brandon, who is suffering from an incurable cancer. One night in a bar Jacob meets Diablos, smartly dressed and after some convincing, he makes a deal. He would cure Jacobs son from cancer and fix their financial crisis, medical bills, mortgage etc. But Jacob has to complete 5 tasks in 1 year, they are horrifying tasks, torture tasks. If he did not complete them, Diablos said he would kill his family. Jacob agreed to the deal thinking he would never have to do that because 1) he'd complete the tasks no matter what and 2) no way would he ever kill his family..they would move away and hide. Jacob does 4 tasks but the 5th is too much and he does not complete it in time. Diablos then, as a result, possessed jacobs body and kills his wife and 3 kids. Jacob can see and feel everything from inside his body just can not do anything about it. As a little bit of remorse, Diablos sends him to purgatory rather than serve a lifetime in prison. At least there he can live out the rest of his live, even if it is in a hell ish kinda place.
    At the end of the story, Diablos, because Jezabel told him to, possesses Jacobs mind, so he sees himself kill his family. He doesn't realize that his body was possessed at the time. So he just thinks he killed them off his own accord, because he can't remember anything that happened, his sons cancer, their deal, cant even remember who diablos was.

It'll then go to the next story, where Jacob will learn it was diablos who killed them in his body, and that they are actually in purgatory too, but the far end. I don't know how or why Diablos put them in purgatory too. I don't know about Jezabel, but she'll be evil in this book as she has had hear heart broken by Jacob, but I'm thinking she will want to go after Jasmine and her son, the child actually being Jezabels, but being raised by Jasmine.

There are so many details to fill in yet though, it's just the first idea. I need a story arc for what is happening in Purgatory, so it's not all focused on the one thing, which would make it very short and boring. Somethin has gotta happen to bring Jacob and Jezabel to fall in love. He needs to make a life for himself in purgatory after he lost all hope of ever leaving the place.

Sorry it's a bit of a long post! =/

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  13. ToeKneeBlack

ToeKneeBlack Banned

5-year-old Melinda stays up on Christmas Eve to get a photo of the real Santa to prove to her older brothers that he exists. Everything goes to plan until Santa arrives; Melinda ends up being sent to the North Pole where she discovers an army Santas, hordes of robotic elves and a huge flying saucer encased in the ice cap.

KokoN and A.S.Ford like this.
  14. Catrin Lewis

LOL! When I was a kid there was an ad that would run in the back of the TV Guide, complete with an illustration showing a sinister race of subterranean creatures who allegedly lived under the ice cap at the North Pole, zooming out of a crevasse in their flying saucers. You thought the danger was worldwide Communism? Ha! If you sent your $2.00 or whatever to the listed P.O. Box, you'd get the low-down on this, the real threat to mankind.

*rereads @ToeKneeBlack's plot synopsis* *looks around nervously* Gosh! What if it's true????

15. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Communism isn't necessarily bad.

16. Catrin Lewis

Yeah, I know. Joe Stalin loved it. :superlaugh:

17. ddavidv

ddavidv Senior Member

Another one of mine: my gal protagonist is working as a highway construction flagger. A car pulls up to wait and she spies a young girl passenger and is convinced the girl is in fear for her life. Gal reports it to the police. Who can she trust?: the detective, the man the girl was with or the cocky guy who works for a mysterious employer in the 'security' business. Murder and mayhem follow including a blazing shootout in a bathroom and the use of a crossbow by my heroine.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  18. PBNJDraftNumbA

PBNJDraftNumbA Member

I am writing this for fun... i needed something.

Okay... I call it... "As It Turns Out"

Disclaimer: I did this just as a free-write. i did not edit, not even slightly.

The opening scene is a boy waking up to an officer, who is lifting him from the floor from within the previously locked revolving door. It was checked hours prior, at the evening shift change, like always. Somehow, though, the unknown child found his way into the glass cage. Did he do it on purpose? Was it for protection, or just a child's game? Where's his family? These are questions, but the answers are unknown until he fully wakes up. Then a report occurs over the dispatch device thing, (hahaha, i can't think of the name of it), "Sir, I am at Lasting's entrance and I have come across another one." Yes, more than one child has appeared overnight and into the strangest of places. What's more odd, there seems to be nothing broken, missing, or stolen. And yet, at least two children are found incased in similar cubes. What about the witnesses? Is this merely a creepy coincidence, or is there more something suspicious going on?

....That's all i've got. for now...

Read it soon... "As it turns out" :)

(Again, not real.)

IHaveNoName and A.S.Ford like this.
  19. Toomanypens

Toomanypens Member

It is the year 2052, 5 huge monopolies control the world and wage a secret war for power and technology. The have virtually enslaved the people, and thousands are dying every day due to the prices for services, and having to choose between food, medicine, shelter, or getting out of the city. Not even good paying jobs are enough to avoid the extreme danger the people are living within.

Our protagonist invented the very thing these companies fight over, time travel, and everlasting life.
    Though he did not do so on this universe, but another.
    And in that universe he worked for them until the day they murdered his family hoping to assassinate him and erase all loose ends that might circumvent their ultimate power.

One man, with endless grief and rage had the power to use time travel to destroy them and seek his vengeance... and he did... long ago. But time travel isn't a convenience, nor a simple thing, and his rage and grief, and over use of time travel unravelled the entire universe, erasing its entire timeline from existence.

He was marooned in another universe,left to face the fact that he destroyed an entire universe...
    He stumbled through time for the rest of his natural life until one day he was staring at his death, and he said NO.
    No to dying as a man who destroyed everything, no, to not trying to do something to bring it back.
    He uses his knowledge and some brutal proceedures to become functionally immortal, and slowly starts to reassimilate into society.

We meet him a few years later in a virtually new city to him (he hadn't really cared where he was or what was happening because of the pain) and he gets a job at a fast food joint, and with his tech gagets at home its a comfortable living for him, synthesizing more food, yadda yadda yadda.

He begins to slowly meet people again, and gains a friend named J, who is into women and doesn't think too much about things. They go out often, our protagonist is very smooth, but so deeply damaged that he can't bring himself to even kiss a woman because of the shattered memories of his family being murdered oh so long ago and how his grief lit a fire that burnt everything down...

He tries to fiind remnants of his lost universe in remnant data but has to face facts that he can't find it... He breaks down... but gets back up, out of pure will and grit and fierceness.
    Turns out that one of the girls he met one night was actually a scientist working on time travel for these companies in THIS universe. He paid her no mind at first in their brief drunken encounters, but she gravitated towards him because she fellt he knew more than he was letting on (and shes right).

She discovers time travel formula like he did, and in a conversation he grabs her and warns her. She says "fuck, I knnew it! I knew you used to work for them! And on Time no less!" she's convinced they are following her (they are) and after she is kidnapped he is forced to stop her from losing everything like he did, stop these guys from gaining a power that might destroy the universe, and do so all while feeling super not good :p about what he did.

He tracks down the gangs that funnel tech to secret warehouses, he finds watchers and spies that funnel information to the leaders, he talks to the leaders of a protest movement growing amongst the dying communities and inspires them to fight for freedom, and to overthrow the system.

He does it all without time travelling (sadly) but you get flashbacks of when he did.
    And eventually, he becomes the most wanted and hated man alive, as they realise he has time travel and the secret to immortal life.

So things get crazy, a civil war breaks out between the security monopoly (they use drones and mechs to SHUT DOWN all crime in certain zones) huge riots break out, fires sweep city blocks, devestation at a grand scale as refugees flee.
    All the while, our character, is churning through the fact, he did the very evil stuff he is trying to stop from happening ever again.

He fights to make the government no longer a weapon, sucking on the people to drive greed and power, to give a few the existence of gods to avoid their fear of insignificance and right the "pains of their pasts".
    He as the dirty anti-hero, learns along with these corporate leaders, just what lengths must be taken to prevent it all from happening again. And the cost is extremely high.

Its a nasty scifi political thriller and comedy. Tons of gadgets. Tons of T&A. Tons of reveals. And a fast paced plot that will leave you checking your heart rate every few pages.

It is sort of like what I think Deus Ex Human Revolution could have been if it wasn't about conspiracy theories.
    Its a sole man, struggling with pain, plagued by his past (ironic that as a time traveller his past is worse)
    Taking on an enemy that hates and hunts him so profoundly, that it takes an uprising to shatter their stranglehold on power, and for him to bring them down.

He can't do it alone, it will take a revolution
    And he, is the silent guardian, of the unfortunate horrors, of the invisible war...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    Oscar Leigh likes this.
  20. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

Whited Sepulchre.

Under the duress of a pistol and following instructions, our man digs by hand, grave-robs and hands over the exhumed pelvis bone of one of history's leading villains to his captor.

No longer of use, he's buried alive in the grave.

Gifted by good fortune he's pulled out the next morning by a group who worship the villain. They hold him, nurse him to health and attempt to indoctrinate him.

His story from there is his witnessing of their plans/motives and balancing them against those of his original jailer. And of course—his escape.

Attached Files:

Oscar Leigh and A.S.Ford like this.
  21. ToeKneeBlack

ToeKneeBlack Banned

After the death of his queen during childbirth, the king takes advice from a seer. With the prediction that one of his infant twin children will attempt to overthrow him before his time, the king sends his son away to be raised in a far off kingdom, while keeping his daughter with him.

Twenty years later the kingdom is under attack. The enemy seems to be predicting every move made by the king's knights, capturing one nearby village after another. One day, while the princess is in a place known only to herself and her father, she too is captured by the enemy knights.

Sir Orion, the only knight left to defend the kingdom, is sent into the heart of the enemy's territory with only two goals - recover the princess and slay the king's rival.

After penetrating the enemy defences, Orion discovers the shocking truth about the rival and must choose which goal he must complete for the safety of his kingdom.

A.S.Ford likes this.
  22. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

My current work is only a short story for now (as I am using it for my Dissertation at university) but I have plans to extend it into a novel once my Dissertation has been submitted. Therefore I will give you the very basics for the current shorter version: 1350. Plague has ravaged the land. A maid is escorting her Lady alone (since their escorts have all died in attacks along the road) to a rumoured sanctuary safe from bandits and disease. Will they survive the remaining three day journey? and is the sanctuary even real?

doggiedude likes this.
  23. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

The rival is the brother, right? That's kind of obvious.

24. ToeKneeBlack

ToeKneeBlack Banned

Perhaps a little too obvious. The seer doesn't specify which child will overthrow the king.

25. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

This is for Falling Child Star - still not certain about the title

An unpredictable 14 year old is hired by a burnt out moody director to star in his comeback sci-fi series. Turns out the kid is more creative than the director and his influence makes the show a hit. Addicted to this new muse whose every spoken word, thought, action sparks a new direction in the series, the director allows the kid to manipulate him. But their creative world and real world begins to blur when the boy begins to question who is manipulating who. Who is directing what.

The theme is kinda a take on a life imitating art, art imitating life - chicken or egg thing.

Cave Troll and Oscar Leigh like this.