Your Reaction to Zombies

Discussion in 'Research' started by Sclavus, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I think a side question - which you haven't asked, but I'm going to answer all unsolicitedly - is whether or not I would want a Zombie Apocalypse Crew, or would I want to go it alone. I guess that's part of my reaction, right, right? :whistle:

And my answer is that I'm not sure. I don't know any actual combat trained veterans in my real life at this point. I love my husband with all my heart, but I don't know how he would perform with a firearm, under pressure. Would wanting to save him get me killed in the end? I don't know. In every zombie story I've seen/read, adding this person to your Z.A. crew increases your chances of survival, but adding that person to your crew gets three people dead. :dead:

Are these fast zombies or slow zombies?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

No REPUTABLE news outlet would call them zombies; the yellow journalism rags would, but no one takes them seriously. Real news outlets would probably refer to bands of violent gang members, possibly on some new designer drug. Later they might indicate infection with some manner of contagious autoimmune disease with neurological symptoms.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

your hubby would take the role traditionally held by ditzy blondes in the zombie movie - the hero loves her/him but they are bugger all use in the crew until they find an undiscovered talent an/or pick up a fallen weapon and save the hero from certain death :D

4. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

Multiple times, I have told my husband and daughter that if the zombie apocalypse happens to just shoot me right away. Like, within 48 hours of confirmation. I startle easily and scream very loudly when startled, I don't do well with the outdoors, and honestly I don't want to live in a world without Netflix, good food and wine.

I'm absolutely the shortest straw when it comes to the Z.A Crew. It's been nice knowing y'all. ;)

Wreybies likes this.
  5. Wreybies

The problem with my hubby is that I've tried to explain to him the cruciality of trigger discipline and he's that person who thinks it's just being obsessive about things. I'm, like... okay... you don't get a firearm. Stay behind me.

6. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

We used to play a game at my previous workplace of drafting co-workers to be on our teams for after the zombie apocalypse. It got pretty competitive - we'd woo them with other team members who'd be useful, access to supplies, etc.

If a real apocalypse ever came, I'm only 80% confident we wouldn't have turned on each other, team against team...

7. Laurin Kelly

I've honestly never held a gun in my life and I don't feel like the zombie apocalypse is a particularly good starting point. Just shoot me, it's easier all around.

Wreybies likes this.
  8. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

if you've got zombies coming from all sides give him a shotgun and tell him to protect the flanks.

What gets me in ZA movies is that the hero and his crew always go out and roam the streets .... personally I'm staying the fuck in doors with my several fire arms. If food gets short (which it won't for a while as i'm on a farm with our own power and water) then its a quick armed convoy to strip the nearest supermarket and then back to casa del moose....

Trish likes this.
  9. big soft moose

I'm guessing you probably have other skills ... not everyone in the crew needs to be a gunfighter

Wreybies likes this.
  10. Wreybies

Yeah, I would recruit my neighbor, Neil. He's a medical student. Not exactly a doctor yet, obviously, but a whole lot better than nothing. Someone with genuine medical knowledge has a place on the Z.A.C.

11. Laurin Kelly

My talents are limited to:
    • Writing kickass m/m romance
    • Gourmet cooking
    • Wine afficianado
    • Great dancer
    • Awesome customer service skills
    • Can crush it when it comes to data analytics
    I don't feel like most of those are transferable skills to the Z.A. :bigtongue:

Cave Troll likes this.
  12. big soft moose

I suspect most crews would be made up by happenstance , but if i was recruiting i'd want a mechanic/smith to keep the crew vehicles going, and someone who knows gunsmithing in addition to a medic. Plus a decent cook, and someone who can sew and repair clothes etc..... in addition to your gun fighters (in general a farmer or someone who knows about growing your own food would be good too, but I've got that covered)

Plus of course you want a mix of sexes (well wrey might not, but I do) because apart from the recreational aspect you're going to need to breed a new community once you've beaten the zombies or at least cleared them off your land (that then suggests you need people who know about child care and raising etc)

13. big soft moose

Right that's your place on my crew secured ... :D

Laurin Kelly likes this.
  14. Wreybies

What you need to do is combine your customer service skills with your gourmet cooking skills and sell yourself as capable of whipping up a nutritious meal out of whatever remains in a grocery store that has already been ransacked for supplies. Tada! :-D

Laurin Kelly likes this.
  15. big soft moose

great minds once again

Wreybies likes this.
  16. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Haha, we did that too. They said they'd keep me around to brew beer and pair wines with whatever new apocalyptic cuisine rose from the ashes.

Laurin Kelly and BayView like this.
  17. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Exactly. I'm not on a farm, but I do have generators, access to water, and lots of firearms and ammo. Plus I have 3 very large freezers (that are full). I can hold out here for a while.

18. big soft moose

We've got the WF ZAC sorted then

Me, trish, and wrey for gun fighters (and we'll ask Zoup and Ian too) ,

Ive also got the farming knowledge and i'm okay at building stuff

Wrey has the linguistics to talk to survivors from other cultures (or at least to say "don't shoot we're freindly" in spanish), plus the mechanics

Laurin will cook whatever we find, and homer will brew beer to wash it down :D

Laurin Kelly and Trish like this.
  19. Trish

I also have lots of tools and 3 trucks so... I think we'll be okay. :D

20. Wreybies

We should make an RPG out of this. :whistle: :-D

Trish likes this.
  21. big soft moose

if you make them its called a PRIG ... a "propelled rocket, improvised grenade (terrible mutilation of the English language to get an acronym - really it should be an IRPG) ... the IRA model uses a packet of digestives to absorb the recoil

22. Wreybies

I was thinking more a Role Playing Game. :bigwink: (know you know. Just sayin'...:whistle:)

I already feel my character coming to me. Being the only gay person in the crew has its benefits and its constraints. I do my best. I keep the vehicles in good nick. I'm obsessive about firearm maintenance, cleaning, oiling. But it's tough nonetheless. Everyone has someone to keep them warm at night, but I keep my distance. I don't want to lead anyone on or make anyone uncomfortable, as the case may be. So, I clean guns that are already clean and check engine oil that's already been checked. Those vehicles aren't going to last forever, though. Gasoline has a shelf life and no one is making new batteries. Maybe I can talk Moose into a foray for some horses. It's a long shot and I know how he feels about roaming the streets, but still...

23. Trish

I'm surrounded by farms and one of them is a horse farm (and I'm great with horses). I'm with you.

24. Wreybies

Excellent! I'm pretty sure we're gonna' need them, but I don't know the first thing about them other than they are always so much bigger in person than I expect them to be. Horses are big! Also, I've been told they can tell when a person is an incompetent rider and they don't like it. :pity:

Trish likes this.
  25. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

But if my team wants your tools and trucks and horses, we can just take them, right? Unless you've got buddies with guns to protect your stuff.

That's what it always comes down to... having the resources does nothing unless you can also KEEP the resources. Skills are a bit different, a bit harder to take by force, but if someone's got a doctor's family locked up in a hidden location, the doctor's going to give her best doctoring to whomever demands it.

It might be best to have a team of generalists who can all do everything a little bit. No incentive for anyone to kidnap/coerce any of the members into being experts for THEIR team, but still a reasonably good way to get the job done.

I love post-apocalyptic fiction, but it does give me a pretty bleak view of humanity...

Laurin Kelly likes this.