Tags:
  1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Your unfavorite commercial

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Jun 26, 2009.

There are many commercials which I dislike for many reasons. My previous unfavorite was a commercial for a diet product that stared this crazy-eyed lady dressed in what looked like a prison guard uniform proclaiming in her hypnotizing insanity voice that, “You need Leptoprin.”
    [​IMG]

That chick was freaky! :eek:

My new unfavorite is for this silly product to grow tomato plants, hanging upside down from a little collapsable container. I think what I dislike about this commercial is that it epitomizes the habit of advertisements for new (useless) gadgets to make doing things the old fashioned way look utterly, impossibly difficult. These commercials tend to star people who seem hopelessly inept at even the simplest of tasks. I can just see the conversation between the actors and the director during the filming of the commercial:

Actor ~ "What's my motivation?"

Director ~ "You are a brain damaged, one armed, tragically inbred mandril trying to make spaghetti the old fashioned way. Go!"

Then there was the gobsmacking claim that hanging the plant upside down would make it grow at lightning speed because now you had gravity working on your side to get the water and nutrients into the plant. All I could think was, “In one fell swoop mankind has made a quantum leap over Nature’s billions of years of evolution by simply hanging the silly twig upside down. I’m quite sure that every saprophyte out there is deservedly embarrassed at not having thought of this.”

Who knows. Maybe I’m completely wrong and growing the plants upside down will give you tomatoes at lightning speed capable of playing Bach and reading Shakespeare.

I’m not convinced.

What's your unfavorite?

2. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I, for one, can't stand that FreeCreditReport.com guy.

3. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

Holy crap, yes. Worst songs evar.

And Wrey- LOL, you're totally right. I love when they completely exaggerate the difficulty of doing an every day, fairly mundane thing that most humans can do with their eyes closed.

4. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Really, I love that guy! :D

The commercials I really hate are always on FoxTV. Not particularly my favourite station anyway, but I watch So You Think You Can Dance? and have to put up with it.
    They always show the same two commercials during the breaks:
    - The chef and the pirate are running towards each other, obviously in love, while opera music plays. It's for an Arby's commericial. NO!
    - The Dunkin Donut's commericial has this man with a belt that's so tight, he has a very dramatic hourglass figure. The woman talks about her Dunkin Donuts coffee and asks if he is 'tightening his belt' by skipping breakfast. She then proceeds to let him know that it doesnt really work if you literally do it. Besides, her Dunkin Coffee is inexpensive... Blech.

I've timed them both and just flip the channel whenever they come on.

5. Tobias

Tobias New Member

Seriously? Whenever I hear his songs playing in the living room, I run out and watch his commercial. His songs are so witty and entertaining. I love them. :D

I can't help but think of this article though.

6. PS Foster

PS Foster Member

"I have genital herpes."
    "And I don't."

Who gives a rat's ass?

1 person likes this.
  7. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Any infomercial with Billy "My Voice Can Crack Glass" Mays. His voice should be broadcast into Afghanistan 24 hours a day. All the terrorists would leave!

8. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

[​IMG]

9. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Any commercial that features people singing who don't know how to sing. Safe Auto, Subway's $5 footlong commercials...I hate them so much.

10. 67Kangaroos

67Kangaroos New Member

what about those creepy burger king commercials?... those just keep getting worse and worse. and for that matter, what about the perverted oven in the quizno's commercial? (they've since cut the worst of the oven's lines, i think)

otherwise, i'm agreeing so far with everyones....

11. Lavarian

I thought they cut it too, but they didn't. Just saw it again the other night.

"Yes, Scott. Put it in me."

1 person likes this.
  12. Mephisto0

Mephisto0 New Member

I loath all commercials. (except the ETrade baby ones) But the Burger king ones. I've actually yelled at my tv telling that whopper jr to die.

13. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

Olive Garden comermercials are horrible -- I want to viciously attack everyone on those things because they're so scripted and cheesy, even more so than the average commercial.

14. hiddennovelist

I hate the Burger King commercials!!!!!! There's one where someone is sleeping, and they wake up, and the king is laying in bed next to them watching them.......yikes.

I'm not gonna lie, though, Joel and I love the quizno's commercials. "I'm not rubbing you with the shammy again." Cracks me up every time...

Oh, and it's a radio commercial, but I can't stand the Shane Company commercials. That guy's voice makes me crazy.

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Anything with Screamin' Billy Mays.

BILLY MAYS MUST DIE!!!

Edit: I just looked at the previous page, and I see I'm not the only one who can't stand him.

16. Lavarian

Totally! I do less than three Olive Garden though.

Edit: Billy Mays's voice is golden. Many people play Kenny G when they take bubble baths. I just turn on the taped paid programming starring Mr. Mays- a God among insects.

17. hiddennovelist

LOL.

I'll take Billy Mays over the Shamwow guy. Ugh...creeper.

Oh, I hate the Walmart commercials that they're playing about how Walmart helps make summer better. "But my kids don't need to know that!" And the Best Buy ones where they have the people telling about some customer they helped. I don't know why, but those commercials really get under my skin.

18. Lavarian

Yeah, plus Shamwow doesn't work...at all. Buddy of mine fell for the commercial and bought one. It's a glorified rag.

19. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Brilliant marketing! You can't recall the idiot's name who's pitching the product, but you definitely recall the brand . . . "Sham WOW!" Brilliant marketing, I say!

20. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I liked the Shamwow guy. He was less annoying than Billy Mays. Too bad he had to go and beat a hooker.

21. Lavarian

*touches his black eye tenderly*

I'm still hurting too.

22. hiddennovelist

I thought the hooker's mug shot looked a little familiar...

23. Unsavory

Unsavory Active Member

Billy Mays, Ron Popeil, Tony Little...

These guys are all bad, but every one of them has entertained me on some weird camp value level. Mays driving a car while awkwardly talking on his hands free phone has to be one of the defining moments of my commercial watching. Billy Mays driving a car. I didn't even know that was allowed!

Ron Popiel came into his own for me when he was clearly in a bad mood for his pasta maker infomercial. He was short with his assistant, he wore a permanent scowl that certainly wasn't there during his days peddling the showtime rotisserie, and he basically seemed like he'd rather be anywhere else promoting a more reliable product.

Tony Little only fascinates me because he looks just like the guy standing between traffic wearing headphones and dancing like a madman to music only he can hear. Between his baseball cap, ridiculous blonde hair, and bizarre tendency to get z-level celebrities like Lanny Poffo to help promote his Gazelle, this guy is probably my favorite.

24. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yup, surprisingly that commercial is still being aired. Although I think it's in bad taste, I don't actually hate it. I imagine poor Scott going for counseling after his shift at Quiznos.

Dr. ~ "Please, Scott. Continue."

Scott ~ "And then he was all like, 'Put it in me, Scott,' and now I can't even look at myself in the mirror. The dirty won't wash off!!"

25. Lavarian

"And even worse...I gave in and had to go to the hospital for 3rd degree burns."