Your Writing Goal

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TheLeonard112, Nov 2, 2012.

1. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

I would like to write the next Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I don't care if I'm a one trick pony, as long as I have a trick and my own Wikipedia entry.

2. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

Second to the right, and straight on till morning.
    Writing something catchy, heart-touching with air of mystery to it, something that moves you when you've finished
    reading it and put it aside, something that stays there in you. In other words, writing something, into which
    I am able to give something of myself and which is of relevance to other people, so that it's not just a dry, cold,
    scrutinizing read without resonance. A story that in the end says "go on, it's worth trying, it's worth living".

3. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

You know what would be the most uplifting moment to me? Walking through a mall, a cafe, or an airport and seeing a random person reading my novel. Then approching them and introducing myself and see if they ask for my autograph. Imagine that.

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

If I saw a random person reading my novel, I wouldn't approach them. That would be presumptuous. If I was in a mall or an airport, reading a book, and some stranger came to me claiming to be the author of the book, I'd probably want them to just go away.

5. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Most paperbacks have a picture of the author in the back of the book, so they could just look and know it is you. They first thing I would say to the person is, "Thank you for buying my book, I hope you enjoy it!"

6. Crystal

Crystal New Member

I'm an avid reader & lover of movies delving more into the fantasy/fiction/sci-fi categories, into most tv shows (Game of thrones, Doc. Who, Dresden Files, True Blood, Sherlock) & movies too. My goal is to write a comical short story worthy of many laughs, or perhaps even another Ulysses since my favorite style of writing is stream, but that will never be matched in my opinion.

7. MindTheGap

MindTheGap New Member

I want to write something memorable. Not necessarily in the realm of a JK Rowling legacy (because let's face it, she's the Queen and who can dethrone her?). But I'd like to write things that stick with people and make them think or things that even inspire them to put their own ideas on paper. Much like my favourite, Stephen King, has done for me.

8. IanLC

IanLC New Member

The goal of my writing is my to inspire and give off knowledge to others. Reading was for me and a way to get away and experience something new and broaden my horizons and experiences though physically I have never went to some places I have read about but I can experience them through reading. I would like to do the same with my writing I like to take people back into history and I enjoy telling history from a fantasy perspective. Writing is a way to take people into a different place and world and broaden the knowledge.

9. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Senior Member

Honestly, I just want to finish a novel and be satisfied with it. I gave up wanting to become a notable author a long time ago. I'd still like to get published some day, and beyond that I really wouldn't care if the book sold well or not. If someone had enough faith in my writing to publish it in the first place, that would be wonderful enough.

10. liquidenvy

liquidenvy New Member

I want to write a book that will be read and then reread.

That would be fabulous.

For specific inspiration, I would love to write something with the depth and elegance of CJ Cherryh's first novel 'Gate of Ivrel', and the scope of Patrick Rothfuss' 'The Name of the Wind'.

11. Hambone

Hambone Member

Couldn't have said it better myself. This is my goal exactly, anything beyond this (getting published, etc.) is icing on the cake.

12. creativevomit

creativevomit Member

I want to be able to be proud of my work and for others to enjoy it.

13. philaz

philaz New Member

Fame, glory, riches.

I want to write something people will either hate or love, nothing in between.

14. XIII

XIII Member

I'm aiming for an idea that no one has ever even thought of putting into words, but now that I'm getting deeper into the story line, it's beginning to sound like one of the best video game series in history............. But if it sells, and is as popular as that game, I'll be one happy camper!

15. Makeshift

Makeshift Active Member

Writing a film script and actually seeing it getting filmed is one dream, but I doubt that will ever happen, knowing how many scripts are written compared to how many of them actually get filmed, especially nowadays when a large part of new films are based on something already in existence(adaptations of novels or TV-shows, re-makes, reboots, sequels, prequels etc.). I still have a concept for a film in my head, but haven't really bothered to write anything down. In general I would like my writing to be remembered not necessarily by a lot of people, but remembered powerfully by those who do. One example would be Scorcese's film Taxi Driver. For me that is the most powerful, moving, unforgettable piece of film ever. I know people who disagree with me as to the film's merits, but personally I find it powerful. It would be nice to know something I had written would have the same effect on someone, even if it's just one person.

16. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if you think that 'would be nice' then why haven't you bothered to write it down?... or make the effort to learn how to write a screenplay, so you can see if anyone in the industry likes your idea enough to buy the script?

you could be depriving the world of the next 'taxi'...

17. Searching4aMuse

Searching4aMuse New Member

My new year goals is to just write more often. I want to get up to writing something every day. I am bad at procrastinating and I get writer's block if I lose focus. Right now writing is just a hobby to pass the time, but I do hope one day to get something published, even if it's just a short story in a magazine or anthology ;) If I were to pick a fandom I look up to, I would pick television shows like Buffy/Angel/Charmed (you get the idea). I really look up to the writers/creators of those shows as most episodes are really amazing in my opinion. Most of my favorite TV shows have great writers in my opinion, and they can be very distracting to my writing. ")

18. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I think I am starting to learn how to write well. My goal will be to keep plugging away until I become a little more certain that my ability meets my expectation.

19. Cobbjaw

Cobbjaw New Member

My goal is to just write more. I lack the skills necessary to tell a riveting story, and I don't think that is going to change unless I practice. The trick will be to keep myself from getting too discouraged when I inevitably write a bunch of garbage. More specifically, I want to place viewpoint and description under the microscope and study their mechanics.

20. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

I think what I want to shoot for is a dark edgy gangster thriller/drama like The Wire mixed with mystical elements like Batman

21. Keiti Ryoko

Keiti Ryoko New Member

My goal is to write a series that readers love and hate at the same time. I want them to think about what I wrote and remember it long after they've devoured it. However, that's my long term goal. At the moment, finishing a book and being pleased with my writing would be awesome.

22. Dragoon119

Dragoon119 Member

Lol, I am always disappointed with my writing and feel it could be ten times better then it currently is. However after revision after revision I have to move on at some point right? Anyway I have too many books that I wished I mine could stand toe to toe with. One would be Toradora. Which had a huge emotional impact on me. And the Airborn books, because Kenneth always found an ingenious way of looping everything back together quickly and most of all precisely.

23. TheLeonard112

TheLeonard112 Sūpākūru Senpai

I know exactly what you mean, and yes Toradora had a major impact on me too.

24. oliviajs411

oliviajs411 New Member

I used to have a writing goal once, that I would write as great as John Ronald Reuel Tolkien of The Lord of the Rings and Stephenie Meyer of the Twilight saga. Both are good at writing in fantasy-fiction genre. I've tried my luck on writing something fairy tale-like using my own creative imagination but I stop eventually just before the story reaches the middle of the first page. My husband just kept on reminding me that I'm mother now and there are still a lot of things to do other than just writing but at the back of my mind, my passion in writing never fades.

25. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

My goals are to write something honest, that I can be proud of, and that readers can identify with. They might sound simple, but I don't think they really are.