Zombies- Are they overdone or do they still have a place?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Crimson Dragon, May 6, 2013.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

There's really no idea or genre that can be overdone. A great writer can always bring a great story to the table.

2. MrPizzle

MrPizzle New Member

I don't think zombies are overdone, the human vs human conflicts/humans are the monsters etc are what I believe is overdone.

3. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Actually, I think that zombies-as-backdrop-for-human conflicts tend to be scarier than pure-zombie stories. Zombies are just obstacles, humans have the potential to be truly villainous.

However, this is just personal conjecture as I have never seen a pure-zombie movie where the humans were all on the same side. Can you recommend any good ones?

4. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

^This.

5. Laze

Laze Active Member

I agree with these two. No genre will ever be overdone. A skilled author can make an original experience no matter what he writes about. I guess it's just the fact that writing about zombies is fun, that's why it's been done a lot.

6. Obscurum

Obscurum New Member

My zombies are not real zombies as they arent dead. Actually they are mutated, infected by a giant monster who came across town! Are there any tips as for how to write a good zombie story then?

7. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

What does the monster want? Does it eat the zombies, having a symbiotic relationship with a pathogen that converts infectees into something more edible than healthy people would be? Was it engineered as a biological Weapon of Mass Destruction, which was released either accidentally or deliberately?

Are there villainous humans who see the monster and zombies as a legitimate problem, but have the wrong solution in mind?

Is this sci-fi, in which case there could be a race to find an anti-serum, or a fantasy, where the monster is one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (Conquest/Pestilence)? And even if the story is one of the previous, could there be specific characters who think it is the other?

Obscurum likes this.
  8. Obscurum

Obscurum New Member

No one knows what made obscurum come here. His orign is unknown. I had this silly idea in mind where there is a invisable alien planet. The earth is coming too close and they dont want that so they send the monster to destroy them....sounds silly eh?
    Anyway, there are villainious humans indeed. But i'll think i have to go in detail in another thread. I will make one soon.

Btw its indeed scifi also apocolypse

9. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

28 Days Later does a pretty good job of this.

10. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

Bad pun?

11. Wyr

Wyr Active Member

Or great pun? :p

12. Kramitdfrog

Kramitdfrog Member

The love story zombie movie was actually cute. It's one of those things you couldn't imagine. I think the movie was called Warm Bodies or something to that effect. And they added alot of new unheard of spins on the zombee genre....

I highly recommend it, it might be that romantic chick flick kind of thing... however it got ppl eating brains for the guys!!!

^^

13. Wyr

Wyr Active Member

I saw the movie; after reading the book it was more "meh" than cute. They stuck acceptably close to the story until about half way through, then totally botched the ending. That being said, I found the book entertaining and really enjoyed the author's take on zombies.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013