zombiessss...?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by DystopianApocolypse, May 29, 2016.

1. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Eh, human co-operation, planning and tools are far more important. That is our advantage. We're the best at those. Zombies usually only have basic co-operation and planning, and sometimes limited use of tools, but that's it on that front. I don't think their endurance is that worth it. Not to say a zombie horde wouldn't be dangerous.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  2. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

1) Good point
    2) If I ever write a zombie apocalypse, could I use this exchange as an argument between two of my characters :D

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. james johnson

james johnson New Member

4. james johnson

james johnson New Member

5. Oscar Leigh

Dude, are you going to say something about the things you're quoting? Or is it some kind of endorsement? If so, just use the like button. Otherwise it looks like you're trying to say something.

6. BC Barry

BC Barry Member

This may have already been done, I'm not a huge zombie follower. I love the stories, just don't seek them out normally.

But what if humans remain fine and every animal on the planet suddenly becomes a zombie for whatever reason? Biological warfare, a volcano, earthquake, tsunami releases some ancient something? You go to sleep only to be woken up by Fido having a midnight snack on your butt. Step out your front door in the morning to go to work and are greeted by a mob of suddenly flesh eating squirrels, mice, and birds. Farmer Joe goes to milk Bessie and she doesn't want grain now, she wants him. Etc., etc.

Humans who are bitten but not killed don't become zombies but slowly die from the inside out, a horrible, painful death, bringing mercy killings to the table. Humans who now eat animal meat become not zombies, but brain-dead, drooling husks who need to be cared for or abandoned.

Animals are everywhere, and a mindless, hungry pack of even the tiniest ones can be deadly. Picture 50 chipmunks eyeballing your bulging belly with hungry glee.

Like I said, it may have been done. I've just always wondered how we'd survive if every animal suddenly turned on us.

Simpson17866 and Oscar Leigh like this.
  7. Boger

Boger Senior Member

I'm planning a cyber punk zombie apocalypse with plenty humor, and some cliches as well to show my appreciation for the classic tropes of the genre.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  8. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

One idea is to do a different setting. I'd kinda love to see a Victorian (not steampunk) zombie apocalypse. The weapons are slow and with all the focus on disease in their culture, it could be fun.

Another idea could be that the zombies won, regained their sentience and now have to rebuild society.

I suppose what I'm saying is change the genre you use as a basis, not the theme.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  9. Oscar Leigh

I welcome such an inclusion! Anything to validate my meaningless, mortal existence on this little floating rock! :D
    (Seriously though, nerdy arguments about the subject matter at hand don't happen anywhere near enough in fiction compared to real life. Would be refreshingly human)

Simpson17866 likes this.
  10. RobT

RobT Active Member

A "Planet of the Apes" type twist. Zombies won and evolved. Humans became the livestock and need to get back on track.

An alien invasion in the middle of a zombie outbreak. Aliens think "WTF. We weren't expecting that!" and team up with the humans to win the battle.

A story from the POV of someone who's "infected" and what they go through as they're turning.

Domesticated zombies and their evolution back into "earth's society".

Simpson17866 and Oscar Leigh like this.
  11. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Senior Member

Posted a short story "The Cold Ones" (808 words) in the Horror section.

The whole concept started from this thread. Had me thinking about a bunch of different zombie ideas and I came to start thinking about "zombie slang" and how different people would refer to zombies in different ways.

Actually wrote it all in a single sitting, but I like it. Not you're normal story and I could flesh it out into a semi-real story if I want later. Right now... I've got stuff I have to do.

12. tonguetied

tonguetied Contributor Contributor

The only good zombie is a dead zombie.

How about real zombies? Talking about zombie processes running on your PC that consume CPU cycles, ram memory, etc. They get out of control and start typing into writing forums for example. Maybe they use subliminal suggestion on your PC monitor and get you to buy things, etc.