Tags:
  1. Block_Capitals

Block_Capitals New Member

Where are these publishers??

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by Block_Capitals, Jul 2, 2010.

Every so often, I spend some time browsing the local book stores
    (Usually the larger chain stores) and I constantly come across a number of books in all of them (the same ones I mean).

Now, The Authors are not well known and the books are nothing outstanding or original (Which I mean with respect and not negatively towards the book or the writer itself), so I have to ask...

Where are the publishers that make this possible?
    After spending 3 days searching for a publisher for my book, this is my result.

1) Sub-par self-publish websites.
    2) Semi-self publish companies that makes no real commitments or promises.
    3) Major publishers that only seem to deal with famous non-writers who have books.

Where am I going wrong and am I missing some vital stage in the publishing system?
    Because I seem entirely unable to find an option/company where anything I write will even be within 5 miles of ANY store (based on the companies I've found so far).

The goal is to have my book(s) in atleast some of the major stores, so ofcourse I would like to know where I can even make this a possibility.

Thankyou.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

first of all, if you've a novel to sell, you should be looking for an agent, not a publisher...

if you have a non-fiction book, then there are quite a few small and mid-size publishers that will accept a non-agented query and you should start there, if you don't want to go the agent route...

3. izanobu

izanobu Senior Member

Or sign up with Publisher's Marketplace and research editors and mail queries to them directly. You don't need an agent to sell a book. You do, however, need a great query and to do your research. :)