1. RainbowWarrior

RainbowWarrior New Member

So, here is the basic outline for my plot

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by RainbowWarrior, Apr 25, 2013.

ive put together my notes and bullet points and here is the main plot of the story.
    i printed it out and showed a few people, and they are looking forward to it! :D
    feel free to comment (but dont be too mean)
    here we go.

*puts on dramatic voice*

10,000 years ago, the world was at peace. Man coexisted equally with the beasts of the Earth. The land was covered in natural beauty, and flourished so that many species were able to survive.

But man began to see himself as a superior being over his fellow creatures, and started to destroy the Earth so that he could shape it to his liking. He soon found an evil pleasure in killing, and started killing all kinds of animals, predator or prey, just for good measure.

All animals (even man’s fellow predators who had once hunted alongside him) learnt to fear man, and would either attack or flee at the sight of him. Man and beast’s ancient bond was breaking under the strain of man’s destruction.

The magical barrier separating the demonic realms from the Earth and Heavenly realms was being weakened by the immense amount of sin caused by man. This resulted in a powerful demon breaking through the barrier to our world.

This demon caused death and pain, and claimed to be punishing man for what he had done to the Earth. Man tried to fight off the demon, but he was helpless against it.

In response to the demons coming, an ordinary horse was given a special power by the great spirits. It grew taller than all other horses, and chose a human to be its Rider.

This Rider became spiritually bonded to the horse, and together they could unleash incredible power. They killed the demon, and reminded humans of their sacred bond with animals.

The magical barrier sealed itself, and the Rider spent the rest of his days teaching others what the spirits had taught him. Hundreds of years later, many horses grew tall, allowing people to ride them. All people who rode horses reminded the world of the bond the first Rider and his horse shared.

But long after his passing, sin began to build up again. A few thousand years later, a new demon escaped, and a new Rider was born. This time, his mount was a lioness.

This happened two more times, and each time the Rider came from a different land and had a different mount. And every time they slayed the demon and restored the world.

After the fourth Rider, the world changed drastically. Many wars were fought, many countries were brutally conquered, and the natural world was vanishing. Talk of the Riders became forbidden, for some believed that the Riders were in league with the demons.

In the midst of this, one particular animal become greatly revered and hated at the same time.

Two world wars rose and fell, and a hundred years after the second war, a third world war began. This war tore most of the civilised world apart. Countries became separated, and religion and firearms became banned, for many believed that they were the primary cause violence.

After the war, people migrated from rural areas to cities, making the cities grow and become capitals in their own areas. Remaining natural areas became less and less populated, allowing some of the land to heal itself. However, this allowed remote places such as National Parks to become the homes of rogue gangs.

Without religion, people became free to play God, so they genetically modified most of their food, which meant thousands of farms went out of business.

During the war, a certain group were planning to rise to power. This group was led by a woman who believed that her ‘race’, the whites, were superior above all other humans. With the world vulnerable, it was the perfect time for the group to take over. But their plans were destroyed by a mysterious woman who was connected to their leader. The group’s plans were delayed for many years. They killed the woman, and found that she had given birth to a daughter. The daughter had no memory of her past.

Ten years later, the world is still vulnerable, and the group are ready to unleash their plan. But there is also a new demon ready to enter our world.

The new Rider needs to be someone with a unique heritage and traits. Because this time, the whole world will need to come together if they are going to survive the wrath of this new demon.

2. Thornesque

Thornesque Senior Member

I'm going to just beat everyone to it:

Your plot doesn't mean anything. It's how you write it that's important.

3. SwampDog

SwampDog Senior Member

Heavenly and earthly realms, horsemen spiritually bonded to their mounts, sin, 10,000 years, demons.

You've got all the hallmarks of Genesis meets Revelation. Is that where you got your ideas? It has a distinct biblical slant.

4. AuroraJenkins

AuroraJenkins New Member

The plot sounds very... ambitious. It's the type of thing that would be amazing if you wrote it well, but if your writing skills don't measure up to the idea then your story will fall very flat.

5. RainbowWarrior

welp, i guess i'll have to write it well then! :D

6. RainbowWarrior

actually, no. i had (most) of these ideas first, but i needed more so i looked through a bible to get some inspiration and i came across Ephesians 6:12, which correlates with my story (very spooky)

but any biblical references in my books will be so embedded in the story that it will take someone with good knowledge of the bible to spot them. ;)

7. Xatron

Xatron New Member

This one is Cogito's punchline, you have no right to use it.

8. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

Make it an Eskimo on a polar bear. There hasn't been a good leading Eskimo since Nanook.

9. RainbowWarrior

i have an inuit (or someone from one of the tribes of the north) as the 3rd Rider lol :D

btw i shoulda mentioned that the 5th Rider is wolf

10. Nee

Nee Member

Stories are about characters: not so much about great events. Because, great events come about through peoples actions--and the meaning, or significance of these actions, are found within their motivations for doing these actions.

11. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

Is this the plot - or a backstory? I see all of this in a prologue to... something.

I'm not going to preach, but do note that a plot is defined as a pattern of events that makes up the story. So: give us the actual events of the actual story!

On the other hand, I remember reading Olaf Stapledon's "Last and First Men", a book whose "plot" is the whole history of humanity (several humanities in a row, to be exact)... But I doubt that you were planning on writing something like that...

12. RainbowWarrior

actually yeah, it is more of the backstory :redface:

13. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

So, it's about the "new Rider"? :p

14. Xatron

Xatron New Member

It is like a crossover between Eragon and any 80's giant robot anime (Voltron, Voltus 5, Great Mazinger etc).

15. RainbowWarrior

yep! :D

16. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

That's a story line. A plot is the dynamic defined by an actor, a goal or objective, a motivation, and an opposition.

A story line is a chronology of events comprising a story. It answers the question, "What happened?" Plots drive the events in a storyline. Plots answer the question, "Why did it happen?"